Wednesday 2 March 2016

Darnell's NBUS Challenge #6!

Yay! Darnell is running one of her NBUS challenges - to the uninitiated that's where you join in the fun and make sure you use something that's been languishing waiting for a first outing on your project. NBUS is short for Never-Before-Used Schtuff BTW :) The challenge runs from 1st to 10th March 2016 - you can see the rules of the game over HERE on Darnell's blog.

I have tons of NBUS items, but most are lined up to be used on my Sunday Snippets cards as 'samples' for that week's prize so I had to pick something new, unused and also without a duplicate waiting in the Snippets Playground toy box. I found a few items in fact, and this card was made using one of them:
I used:

- 4.5" x 5.75! white card blank, cut and scored to size after I'd made the embossed front panel (often easier that way if it's an embossed panel with a set border!)

- piece of white card stock approx. 4.5" x 6" in size, with the flower sprig then die cut from the centre - making sure I kept a couple of the white 'insert pieces' for later. The die is by Memory Box, called 'Geneva Vine' - LOVE this die and can see it being used a LOT

- then die cut using the same die and SU's 'Certainly Celery' snippet and also a snippet of SU's 'Rich Razzleberry' and put those aside for now

- piece of white card stock, embossed using Cuttlebug's 'Pinking Stitch' embossing folder and then trimmed to size

- then I backed the centre of the panel, behind the die cut area with medium adhesive sheet - leaving the sticky part showing at the front of the panel but leaving the backing piece on so that I'd be able to slide the panel about as I glued it to the card front later

- next I slotted the greenery in place into the die cut aperture, followed by a couple of white pieces I'd saved (mentioned above)

- snipped off five flower heads from the 'Rich Razzleberry' die cut and then glued them in place, using a glue pen

- next stamped, with heart in mouth, the 'With Sympathy' sentiment using Memento 'Elderberry' dye ink and a sentiment from the Paper Smooches 'Sentiment Sampler' set

- finally just glued the front panel to the card blank and called it done

Had toyed with the idea of snipping off the flowers on the green die cut before just setting the stems and foliage in place 'cos it would have made sticking the flower heads in place easier but it's swings and roundabouts really. Always the risk that when you then snip off the flower heads from the 'Rich Razzleberry' you just might end up with a little gap (if you're me!) - plus, I quite like the fact that the flower heads are just that little bit 'prouder' on the card front than the greenery.

I might make another NBUS entry - just spotted a recently purchased stamp looking sadly at me here, and it doesn't have an identical chum in the Playground toy box either :)

Do try to join in, Darnell works really hard on her cards and also her fun blog. She has a whole ton of followers, her cards are always fabulous (and often quite wicked) - what's to lose?

Di 
x

30 comments:

  1. THis is such a pretty card Di, and it inspired me to pull that same pinked embossing folder out and play with it. I'm still waiting for an idea to pop into my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! - I can't join in as we are away for a month

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this very pleasing & delicate CAS layout Di. Just right for a sympathy card. Nice fresh feel to it too.

    hugs, Sarn x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just linked over Di and am praying for Darnell to pecker up health wise too... and wow love your card .. great colour piecing there, well done !!!
    Thanks for sharing! Jumping over to the playground now..
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this card Di, it's beautiful.
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and Classy card....hmmm...I am wondering if I might have this die...I sure do love it! Yep, I always visit Darnell's blog..sometimes I call my Mom and read her posts to my Mom over the phone, she is just so darn funny and can cheer up in a heartbeat!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful,classy card Di...so suitable for the intended occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a really pretty die and makes a lovely card. It will cheer someone up. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect, classy, elegant and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cas style and fabulous die - perfect for a sympathy card. Still fighting through my pile of NBUS deciding what to do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very pretty and elegant card, Di. I love the CAS style.
    Hugs, Liv

    ReplyDelete
  12. This Geneva Vine is very pretty Di and that Cuttlebug folder is a fabulous frame for it. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely and delicate card with these flowers and the embossing! fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful card - love the die you've used. I'm still trying to decide which NBUS items to use for my entry!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a gorgeous card Di and that embossed frame finishes it off beautifully :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card Di, love the inlaid die-cut. And great idea to add the flower heads after the stems. :) I could see myself doing it in reverse and having gaps. Great tip! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love this, Di. A beautiful CAS card. My die wishlist has just got a little longer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card, Di, I've added my first entry to Darnell's challenge too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful Di is your card so elegant too!.....l have candy on my blog x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Di, this is totally and utterly stunning, love it

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely card Di. How sweet that die is and I love the embossing folder. Both die and EF could be used for so much. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is lovely Di, such a pretty die and super embossed border.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful card Di! Fabulously CAS and I love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adore this colour palette, Di. Pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely card, let's hope it's a while before you need to use it too

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  26. I definitely would have ended up with a gap, too, Di, so I'm with you on just how you did this fabulous design! Thank you so much for making me your headline and for all your friendship and support! And, of course, thank you for playing in my NBUS Challenge #6 with your pretty sympathy card! Enjoy your day and I hope your back is mending!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just a lovely card! Love the elegance and simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is gorgeous, such a fab design. I'm loving that embossing folder more and more the more you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful die & love how you framed it, Di--perfect sympathy card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.