Tuesday 29 March 2016

Cuttlebug Mania Challenge - 'Monochrome'

Time for another fortnightly challenge over at Cuttlebug Mania - and this time the theme is 'Monochrome'. Having discussed this, it isn't just shades of black/white/grey - it can be colours with a little bit of white/black if you wish. I went for the colours option - any excuse to use some pink snippets :)

You do have to use a manual die cutting/embossing machine for Cuttlebug Mania entries (it doesn't need to be a Cuttlebug but it must be manual, not electronic). And, you can't mix the two, it must be all manual please. Then make your entry, link into the challenge, link to the challenge in your own blog post and and make sure that you also say what products you used for any die cutting/embossing.

Our sponsor is Crafty Sentiments Designs (more details about the prize over on the Cuttlebug Challenge blog) and this is the card I made:
I used:

- 4.75" x 4.75" square white card blank

- snippets of pink card for the 'quilting'

- first I cut the outline piece from pearlescent pink card using the MFT 'Quilt Square Cover-up' die and backed it with double sided adhesive sheet, leaving the backing on but each of the patchwork slots then had a nice sticky surface just waiting for the patchwork pieces

- die cut a further three pieces of pink card in different shades and popped the pieces in place where I wanted them to go

- peeled off the backing behind the completed patchwork to reveal the self adhesive sticky sheet and mounted that onto a piece of pink card, which I then trimmed down to size

- wrapped some natural twine around the patchwork panel  and stuck it onto the card front

- stamped the word 'Hi!' using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a stamp from the Stampendous 'Happy Messages' set 

- die cut the sentiment using an X-cut 'mini die - gift tag die and left the tag in the die while I outlined it with little faux stitches using a Stabilo Fine Liner

- hot glued the label in place

- slotted a piece of doubled natural twine through a pink button and tied a bow

- hot glued the button onto the label

I think the secret of working with this die is to use the adhesive sheet as I did and also to try to keep the patchwork pieces together within the die cut shapes to be sure to pick the right ones for the framework you already cut - some of the pieces do vary!

The photo (OCD strikes again) has slightly picked up the white inner core of the patchwork frame, making it look a bit as if there are gaps - in fact the pieces fit really snuggly, sigh :( One to remember here in future, use card stock without a white core!

I got the design idea from this blog, by Barbara Anders. She's on the MFT DT and has some wonderful cards to see - looks as if the card I CASE'd has had its image deleted from her blog though. Thankfully it was still on the MFT site and it's still worth hopping over to see her work!

Why not make a snippets entry using some of those monochrome snippets you must have lurking - making sure you do some manual machine embossing/die cutting of course - then you can enter both at the same time :)

Di
x

17 comments:

  1. A great card, I love the quilt die and the lovely colours you've used.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so effective Di and the colours work very well with the patchwork design.

    Hope you had a good Easter.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great piece of 'patchwork' using card and thanks for the tips about using this die

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of this pretty patchwork quilt style card in your fave colours.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card - and thanks for the idea of monochrome being other than black and white

    Crafty hugs Pen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic quilt card. I love your pinks. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This patchwork looks beautiful in shades of pink Di and the twine with the label and button is the perfect finishing touch. Hope you had a good Easter. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely card Di. It made me think of wooden mosaic toy I had as a child, piecing them together to make all different patterns - showing my age now lol
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha ha - I am still laughing about your comment! It may be a worthwhile try to scare my husband out of the card room....although I really don't think I can make a even halfway decent vintage card....You card certainly is lovely and my hubby would approve - he also loves symmetry! Love the quilted look and clean appearance and that little tag is just so adorable! Perhaps I should link up my non-CAS card, before the week is over and you wouldn't need to comment again - added bonus ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, I see you've learned also that each piece is not sized equally! Hah! It makes it a wee bit more tedious to have to be that careful, but the end result is so worth it! I love this die, and I love your pink toned card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt die although the piece variation can be a bit challenging. These colors are great and you've made a real winner with this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this quilt die and the pink tones, so sweet design!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo Lully. I likie the colours. Love the patchwork theme...but as a quilter I would!!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful choice of colours for this gorgeous die.


    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Drooling over the shades of pink and the gorgeous quilt die. I'm sure I have that on backorder somewhere where they email you when its back in stock. Must check that out. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning card! I recently bought this fabulous die, after resisting the temptation for a LONG time, but I haven't have a chance to use it yet. :-( Hopefully I'll be getting it out soon to have a play. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super card Di. Love the die in all the pink shades.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.