Monday 27 April 2015

Rudolph Day - April 2015

It's Rudolph Day again girls - and we're almost into May, so why not make a Christmas card (or a few) and pop over to Scrappy Mo's where you can join in the fun, get a start on your Christmas cards AND be in with a chance of winning a gorgeous Memory Box die. I made two the same of this one:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card blank

- Christmas Red paper as the first layer - this was such a bargain too. Down near where Julia of WOYWW lives there's a wonderful craft shop called Kraft Crazy, run by the lovely Tracy. When I've been to the shop my first priority is to stock up on plain A4 sized card stock - much of which is just 20p per sheet and it's also great quality :)

- I used snippets and a couple of almost full sheets of paper from the Marianne Design 'Merry Little Christmas' paper pad for all the patterned paper on this card

- first I shuffled all the papers and snippets until found a combination which I like and first of all added a square of the reindeer border paper to the backing layer of plain red

- next stamped, using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and the word 'Noel' from Woodware's 'Huge Noel' stamp set, onto plain white card stock and at that point also added the extra little sentiment from the same set (me not as daft as I look!)

- then stamped the large letters I wanted onto various snippets of paper from the paper pad and cut them out. Little tip, I use very small Fiskars embroidery scissors for fussy cutting (kept just for this purpose) - plus, if you look at the letters themselves, a couple had fully 'enclosed' areas to snip out (in the bauble and also the letter 'e'. I learnt (the hard way, some time ago) that it's best not to try and poke a hole to start off by using the point of your scissors or (say) a pokey tool - that's a sure way to crinkle the paper or even slip to one side and cut where you don't mean to :( Instead I use a hole punch (the size might be a full 'file punch' size or maybe a smaller diameter one) just to punch a neat circle as a starting point and then trim from there outwards

- stuck the letters onto the whole word then trimmed it to size and backed it with more red card stock before I glued it onto the assembled card. This is where Collall All Purpose glue wins hands down for me as it gives you some 'wiggle' time - especially when dealing with a background which has straight printed lines of script!

Two more for the box here - and you can play until late on Thursday over at Rudolph Day - why not combine your snippets card with a Christmas card?

Di
x

32 comments:

  1. Like the colour combo and that's a nifty idea for cutting the middle bits out. Been waiiting all day for the internet to come on line and stay on line for more than 5 mins so making hay whilst the moonlight allows. Will be down again by the morning and they have the cheek to tell us there is no problem!!! Hugs Night Owl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat to have a great shop! Beautiful card, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tip for cutting out the middle bits! Now why didn't I think if that??? Genius!

    Back to your card. I really love this one. Love how you've used the patterned paper for the letters. Gorgeous card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely! I have this stamp and have not used it yet. I was a bit of a cheken about the cutting out bit...Thanks for the tip of punching the hole.

    I shall try that when I finally stamp this off!

    Yours looks wonderful ...love the packground papers you chose and the snippets you used for the NOEL.

    Thanks for taking part in the April Rudolph days Challenge. Good luck in the prize draw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAB looking festive card for Rudolph Day here Di. LOVE the papers you used. That stamp really is great for snippets isn't it?

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lovely stamp from woodware and an inventive design by you. It's an eye catching card. I'm so impressed by your commitment to making Christmas cards. I have six. But that's Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card, do love that stamp
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Di, gotta love paper piecing for using up in your scraps and snippets, isn't it, love this stamp too Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel oh so guilty when I see your Christmas cards...as my resolution went straight out the window and I see your total is now 50...well done you!. Great card and a brilliant tip on cutting the centres out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paper pieced to perfection! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another stunning card, love your creativity! The stamp on patterned paper + paper piecing is a great idea! Love the beautiful result, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great card Di - these huge Woodware stamps are on my wish list!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely card Di and the large Woodware stamp is a beauty and just perfect for paper piecing. As usual my Christmas cardmaking has gone out the window lately, and I did say to myself I would be a good girl this year and get on with it. You have made more than I will need already! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card, Di! Love the paper piecing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Christmas card Di and love the paper piecing

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant and so lovely way to use your snippets to make these festive letters. So pretty, and thanks for the hole punch tip. I've just been poking the hole, cutting a X and then proceeding. Your idea sounds easier. Great card, wonderful snippets & perfect for Rudy Day #4! Big hugs & I been missing my little Parsnip. Hope to get back to the Playground ASAP. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous festive card Diane, lovely design
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great paper piecing on this Christmas beauty! I especially like the muted colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fab card Di, love the paper pieced image and I must admit I do struggle with the Woodware word stamps. Great papers, I hope we get some decent Christmas papers this year as I thought last years were not that great.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous paper piecing on this great christmas card. I love the papers you used and the red matting co-ordinates it all.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fab paper piecing Di really great card huggles sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderful card, Di! Love the paper piecing and the papers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your paper pieced noel! Thanks for the tip on cutting the insides of the letters out! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well worth all your effort, beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooo absolutely fabby, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I am so loving this card Di!! The papers you used are awesome and I'm in love with them. I loved reading your tips as well, great ones, I will have to remember that one about the hole punch to fussy cut out in small places like insides of letters, love that tip!! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super Rudolph card, Di. I like the paper pieced word and the pretty patterned paper - looks very Scandinavian. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this. You did a great job with the paper piecing. I am in two minds about the word Noel, but last year I looked it up and decided it was just me being silly! So now I use my Noel stamp quite happily! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this card Di. Super paper piecing of that fabulous stamp xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. That noel stamp is so cool. And I love how you layered the pp for the letters. Such a neat effect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is gorgeous Di! Love the paper piecing on the letters and the way you have overlaid the papers on the bauble - fabulous creation Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.