Wednesday 1 April 2015

Corners

This is my card for today:
I used:

- A6 white card blank

- pale lime Core-dinations card as the plain backing

- I then cut a piece of patterned paper slightly smaller - using a sheet from the free paper pack with this month's Quick Cards Made Easy magazine - a Nit Wits design made by LOTV,  and called 'Perfect Pair'. Lots of pink, lime and white mixes in the 8" x 8" pad - a really great freebie!

- then I used a die from the Penny Black 'Hooray' set to die cut the word 'Enjoy' out of the patterned paper and added that onto the pale lime green backing

- ahem and this is where it all began to down rapidly downhill :( I'd popped into Hobbycraft the other day and picked up some 50 pence sheets of 'Fab Foam' with die cutting in mind. So, being mean I'd bought the foam without a sticky back but I added a snippet of my own sticky back and then using the 'Enjoy' die again, cut out a word from the foam

- that wasn't really the problem, it cut just fine but is a terror to remove from the die and it stretches terribly (a bit like pink bubblegum). Plus, the foam takes up every little press when you're adding it into the die cut frame in the patterned paper - and grimly hangs onto each little indentation/blemish :( So, I then brayered it which didn't help much, sigh. Finally I ran the whole piece through the Cuttle bug using my Anna Griffin 'Rosa' embossing folder which at least 'ruckles up' the whole of the panel :)

- punched each corner using Martha Stewart's 'Double Loops' corner punch

- then die cut a couple of butterflies using Tonics's 'Monarch Arch' die set - which frankly was rubbish and ended up in the dustbin - out of the pink foam

- these worked better so I just popped them onto the card and added a few little white pearls

I'd thought that the foam would be a good way to die cut words to add onto cards, without having to layer up three or four die cuts of card to get the thickness - but would I recommend the Fab Foam? I don't think so, although the butterflies turned out better than the sentiment :) Other, better quality, foam sheet might play ball - though I can't see me really bothering to find out. Some you win and some you lose!

Di
x

17 comments:

  1. Great card - perfect for Mrs A's butterfly challenge. Love the colour combination. I had a chuckle at you fighting to get the foam out of the die! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx for the great tips on using foam! I use the covers of my paper pads for die cutting words. They're thick enough to add the dimension without fussing with layers. You can color them or adhere dsp to them before cutting, so I found it's a win/win. Your card is lovely, and I especially like that softly embossed background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is very pretty Di, and the lime green lotv paper which you have embossed works well. I think those pink foam butterflies are very pretty too and you managed to retrieve the whole thing admirably. Love those corners too! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful corners & neat butterfly dies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute card . . . sorry to hear it caused you such trouble in the making!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The background is so subtle with it's embossing. I really like that. Have not tried the foam, so I appreciate all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous Miss. Love that embossing too.
    As for me and foam...forget it! Other than it makes for great stamps using your dies! That is the only reason I keep one sticky block now.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soree you had such fun/not with the foam but full marks for perseverance. Love the choice of colours. I do like the Nit Wits Papers which I always of course hoard/use. Super butterflies as well. I used mine for the first time the other day.
    Thankyou for fluttering by #27. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Di! Sorry you had so much trouble with your foam. I've die-cut words from "fun foam" from the dollar store, and it worked okay for me, but I tried cutting something larger, it was a circle or oval frame and I had the exact same problem! It stretched out and did not fit the paper frame I had cut. I hope I remember not to try it again because it was very frustrating LOL! Well after all that, your card turned out so lovely and this is one of my favourite colour combos!

    Thank you for playing at the Butterfly Challenge in our C for Corners theme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fun corners! What a great design,too. Have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must have the patience of a Saint, mine would have just gone into Room 101 or more likely Dusty Bin.
    Love that background paper LOTV/Nitwits me thinks. I mailed them to ask if they would just do a pad of all the small leaf papers but they said it wasn't cost effective.
    Great corners.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great card Di and well done for persevering with the foam - you have more patience than me! I've seen your comment on Darnell's blog and yes, I am on a roll, but sadly no luck with the lottery!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well your patience paid off and your card is super xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I did have a grin reading your foam woes. But the card looks fantastic Miss. Love the corners, that pretty paper and of course the lovely butterfly. The sentiment looks great. Wonder if the foam would work with just gluing it down, rather than sticky back? I've never tried the foam with a die..hmmm something to try with a non-intricate die perhaps! Big hugs & Happy Easter. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  15. What pretty butterflies! And I like how you just did a corner punch. No need to get all crazy with corners for this challenge, what you did was easy and perfect. And note to self--don't mess with foam, that way lies madness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear that the Fab Foam gave you fits, but the end product is a lovely card. The butterflies are very pretty and I really like the corner punch you used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.