Tuesday 29 October 2013

'Angels calling'

That's the name of the backing paper I used for this card. But, having read the lyrics to the hymn, which is 'Hark, I hear the angels calling' I don't think it's actually a Christmas hymn. However, Magnolia produced this lovely soft and slightly shabby looking backing paper for their  'A Christmas Story' range so who am I to get picky over the fine print:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square cream card blank

- Image is  from LOTV's 'Christmas Angels' art pad - pre-coloured, die cut with a Nesties circle die. That particular LOTV art pad is a real beauty 

- backing paper by Magnolia, 'Angels calling' from the 'A Christmas Story' range

- SU 'Soft Suede' plain backing card, behind the patterned paper and also used to die cut a scalloped circle using a Nestie die - and the brown does look softer in real life :)

- the holly flourishes were fun, I wanted those to pick out the holly in the angel's head dress but a frantic search here revealed that I had not one teensy little scrap of dark green card (I'd used it all up on my snippets card yesterday) - so out came a 'Holly' coloured Pro Marker. I coloured a scrap of white card, then let it dry thoroughly before die cutting it - the flourish is quite delicate and it struck me as easier than risking wrecking the little swirls, even though potentially wasteful in terms of Pro Marker ink I guess. The die I used is Cheery Lyn's 'Holly Flourish' and I ran the flourishes through the Xyron to add the sticky backing

- no sentiment again, really wanted the image and  backing paper to speak (or even sing) for themselves. Not even one sign of ribbon or a bow, for the same reason - but I did add three brown pearls in each corner :)

This card was made especially for a challenge I try to enter each week, Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Card Challenge and this week's theme is 'music'.

And am also linking this into Hazel's monthly challenge too, where it's always anything goes.

Di
x

28 comments:

  1. Oh I guessed this was a wonderful LOTV image when I saw it scrolling up. So pretty, and your background paper is lovely with it! Thanks for the pre-coloring tip...that diecut would be difficult to color and not tear. Great idea! I get 'strings' the couple of times I've used the Xyron sticker tool, got any tips? Really liked this pretty card. Hope you're rested up, no bad wind damage. Was thinking about all my Brit friends as I read the article on MSN. Hugs & TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh Di...this is so soft and dreamy and pretty. That pr coloured angel image is wonderful. You have just the right amount of embellies to let the image do the talking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you call the backing paper, it is gorgeous with that angel playing her harp, Di! The flourishes and corner bling are just the perfect touches to finish it!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that backing paper Di-And the sweet little Angel with her harp is pefect!
    Have a lovely daty,Hugs Nessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just popping back to say that a person could make a small fortune making and selling a slot tester in Canada.

    I think it should be marketed and sold in papercraft stores!

    Sadly our pos toffice does not sell them...silly buggers! They only have ONE is the post office for all the staff to use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Di, this is sooooo gorgeous!Stunning in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful Di -very dreamy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is sooo gorgeous.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again. The dimensions for within Canada are 245mmx156mmx5mm and for international 235mmx120mmx5mm.

    It is the slot for depth that i would care about the other dimensions I can measure...it is that darned depth that is the problem!

    I am going to google if there is one that I can order.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous angel against that lovely music background - perfect for my CHNC challenge 148 and thanks too for entering this into my CHNC challenge extra for October x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely glorious card Di. Love it.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty, Di - lovely how the holly die matches the holly in the angels hair. I probably would have colored the holly later - LOL - I usually start thinking after the fact.....and many thanks for your nice comments - amazing how you can keep up commenting on everyone's entries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunningly beautiful Di, love how everything matches. That's a great die too. You can enter this (and the one from Sunday) at Crafty Little Fairies this week.

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card Di, Love the image and the paper makes a perfect backdrop.
    Found you via Jules Blog :o)
    Hugs Mau xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bootiful Miss! Just Bootiful!
    I hope you didn't choke on my message to you!
    LOL!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Di,

    What a beautiful card. I hope you are recovered from your vacation.

    Your package is FINALLY on it's way.

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will email you addy etc tonight...I would love one but only if you let me pay for it and pay for the shipping.
    It will be such a blessing as I don't drive and the PO is a mile away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a beautiful card Di. Anything about angels is Christmassy for me! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  19. So gentle and fantastic card Di,
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is lovely Di I love LOTV images and love the embellies you have used too lots of huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of the nicest angels I have seen and a lovely card to go with her, the music paper was a fantastic idea and subtle enough not to distract from the image.
    I did nearly exactly the same thing with the same die yesterday, cut it out using Kraft card (don't tell anyone that yet cos I am going to have to eat humble pie, hope you have the recipe) then coloured it with Holly Promarker.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Di this is beautiful the image is simply gorgeous and that background papers is stunning another brilliant creation xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a sweet angel, Di! I love that backing paper whatever the words. It fits perfectly with the image!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This card is just heavenly with that beautiful angel and gorgeous background paper! I love the holly sprigs too! SOOO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous card, Di, and colouring the holly flourish just the right colour is, I think, the work of a serious crafter :) Love it. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooops nearly missed this fab card. You always manage to put just the right colours together on yer cards. This is just luverly. Hugs Mrs A.
    p.s. If I see just one more twizzle stick I will scream the place down!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.