Happy Easter everyone! I hope the weather is being kind to you wherever you are and that you have a joyous time.
We also have a couple of other things to celebrate - it's just over 11 years since I began this blog. And did you spot that this is Challenge #400? It was weekly for quite a while so the number of the challenge did rise rapidly back then.
By way of celebration, it's a slightly different prize this time. Still using snippets, as well as some die cutting and stamping - but a little bit of a different result instead of a card:
- snippets of leftover white card which I die cut using both dies from MFT 'Tall Tag Duo' set of dies - to make bookmarks
- then I used the same dies to die cut snippets of paper from the Lawn Fawn 'Really Rainbow' petite paper pack as backings and to add more regidity, putting them to one side as I wanted to pick out the colours for the next steps
- hunted out a couple of ribbon snippets which picked up the blue and also the mauve on the 'Really Rainbow' backing to the bookmark
- on one white bookmark I stamped a froggy image and a sentiment from Clearly Besotted's set of stamps called 'All booked up' which has frogs, bookworms and also a row of books as options, plus fun sentiments
- on the other bookmark I stamped two owl images plus a sentiment using Clearly Besotted's 'Wise Owl' set of stamps - which is (unsurprisingly) owl based with a selection of sentiments
- for both bookmarks I used my smaller Misti, Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a piece of acetate with a grid printed onto it for alignment - easy to make your own with printer friendly acetate as there are plenty of grids online to print . I was really lucky when a good blogging buddy sent me her printer friendly acetate - I returned the favour by sending her some 'grid printed' sheets to use with her Misti :)
- it's probably obvious how it works but I placed the bookmark I was using onto the Misti so that I had the size of the stamping area to follow and popped the acetate grid on top with a magnetic bar on to hold things in place. Then I laid out the stamps using the grid lines for spacing and also making sure things were straight, picked them up on the lid, removed the acetate and held the bookmark in place with the magnetic bar before stamping as one usually would
- next coloured both bookmarks using Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils, picking out some of the colours from the rainbow paper tags
- glued the coloured front and the rainbow back of each bookmark together using Collall All Purpose glue
- threaded the ribbon snippets through the die cut slots at the top of each tag/bookmark
- tied the ribbon in place with little pieces of iridescent twine, trimmed the ends of the ribbon and called them finished!
I would have preferred to use Pro markers in some ways - cutting the rainbow paper as a backing was originally to cover the inevitable bleed-through you get with Pro markers in fact. However, Len was busy in the garden when I was at the point of wanting to colour the images and lifting down the huge storage rack of PM's was just not feasible until this shoulder is better than right now. Having said that - I do so love colouring with pencils now, and they can at least be erased if you make a mistake!
As always, the Snippets Challenge will run for two weeks
and the Playground gates will close at 11am UK time on Saturday 17th April.
The gates will open again at midnight UK time on the same
It's a maximum of ONE entry, please say in a comment if you wish to play and be a possible winner of the prize. Please also link back to the Playground in your blog post to be eligible for the draw.