I've written on here before about a beautiful Easter Egg I was given as a child, made from sparkly sugar paste. It was beautifully moulded in sparkly white with little piped pink roses - and through a little window you could see a scene inside. I think it was possibly Cinderella's coach - I know, not really Easter but sure to delight a little girl who believed in magic! It was far too pretty to eat and I kept it until it eventually went yellow and a bit sticky, sigh.
I had that lovely egg in mind when I set out to make this card - didn't quite capture the delicacy but I had fun playing:
- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank
- piece of SU 'Certainly Celery' card stock, embossed using a favourite Cuttlebug folder called 'Scrollwork' and then trimmed down on all four sides
- glued the green panel to the card front
- then die cut the Easter egg shape using a pair of Spellbinders 'Filigree Egg' dies and a snippet of white Centura pearl card stock
- next, I covered a snippet of the same white card stock with 'medium sticky' double sided adhesive sheet and, using the solid die from the same set, cut a plain egg - with the sticky sheet uppermost
- peeled off the adhesive sheet backing from the 'solid' egg piece and mounted the 'filigree cut' egg on top - pressing it in place using the piece of wax paper I'd just peeled off the die cut. That left the apertures nice and sticky for the next step
- poured iridescent glitter all over the egg front and patted it into place in the sticky apertures to emulate the sugar sparkle. Sheesh, glitter sparkling everywhere ........ as well as on the card of course - that stuff travels!
- glued the egg onto the card front
- had a rootle through my long-neglected floral embellishments and found one that reminded me so much of the pretty roses on that egg I had as a child - so I stuck one in place using the hot glue gun
- still needed a sentiment and stamped 'Happy Easter' onto a white card snippet (left over from when I made the card blank) using Memento 'Grey Flannel' ink and a Stamping All Day 'Happy Easter' stamp
- punched the sentiment out using SU's 'Modern Label' punch and popped it onto the card front using snipped up thin sticky pads
- added a little Mei Flower white pearl to either end of the sentiment label - finished!
The other memory was when I rummaged through the (several) RUB boxes of flowers in the craft room. I really thought those little ribbon rose and bead embellishments were the height of sophistication for card making ........... a long time ago! Time for a bit of a blitz here I think!