Tuesday 18 January 2011

Childhood memories


As a kid I loved dressing up - and one of my most humiliating memories is from my early days at Infant School. One afternoon, every week, they had 'dressing up' time. For weeks I dressed up in things pulled from a huge trunk BUT longed for it to be my turn to dress up in the pale blue taffeta 'Princess outfit'.......I had a bit of a wait as my surname is waaaaay at the end of the alphabet and that's how they deemed it fair so that all little girls had a turn. Come the big day I felt so ill and sickly I could hardly drag my little legs to school, but it was so important that I managed to hang on until the afternoon and my longed for transformation into Princess Diane. No sooner did I have the dress on than 'Wooomph'.......I leave the rest to your imagination but my lunch sure went a long way down the front of that beautiful dress, which of course was ruined. Amidst squeals of horror from the other kids I then promptly keeled over in a messy heap. Hey, ho - it turned out to be Whooping Cough.......no wonder I felt like sh*t so poorly!!

So, this little stamp called 'New Hat' from Lili of the Valley (LOTV), which I've had for quite a while, caught my eye the other day as it cried out to be used for the first time. Apparently little Mia is already into dressing up so this card will go off to her and baby sister Olivia in Germany when I send them a parcel next week. There are so many gorgeously delicate cards made using this image out there in Blogland but for a three year old I went much more bright and bold! My next attempt will be much more muted but it was good fun to make.


The shaped card is from CWC, backing papers, sentiment and the little 'cherry button' are from a really cheerful Summertime set bought ages ago from QVC - the lace and doily came from my stash. I coloured the image using Aquamarkers and finished off by adding Glossy Accents to the bag, shoes and mirror - plus a few teensy pearls for her necklace and the catch on 'Mummy's handbag'.

Di
x

2 comments:

  1. The tombow is a deeply luscious red colour and so perfect for man card occasions. Love the bright colours, so many would go pale but I think it's a refreshing change and something I am doing more of too. Thanks for sharing your talent with us x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.