Thursday 7 June 2012

'In the pink' at 80

It's my step-mum's 80th birthday next week, she loves pink roses and her name is Pearl:
When I saw that this weeks challenge over at Make My Monday is a 'Birthday card with pearls' (they are the birthstone for June, and of course roses are June's flower too), everything sort of fell into place for my step-mum's card as well as a resulting card to enter into the challenge.

Mind you using the Dufex card and decoupage was a nightmare - it's very unforgiving if you aren't really careful when handling it.

I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card stock with 'petal' edge

- Crafter's Companion Dufex Flower Fairies set. It comes with enough to make a few cards, there are rose and apple blossom fairies with decoupage, backings and decorative squares, oblongs and strips - all pink and so pretty. The fairy on here looks so sweet in real life with all the little layers

- white lace topped with pink satin ribbon

- pink organza bow made using the bow maker with a pearl brad through the centre

- pearl embellishment from a double pack by Prima called Swirls and Fimo Cream (roses). I snipped the fimo roses off and replaced them with little pink mulberry roses, probably from Wild Orchid. Much waving of the glue gun here yesterday :)

- pearls along the 'petal' edging and a little strip of rose patterned Dufex inside to show when the card is closed

- and of course, the magic number '80' all pink and sparkly (probably from Hobbycraft or The Range) fixed onto a Dufex oblong, I rounded the corners with a punch

Phew, it was a bit of a marathon to make :(

A few of you know that my step-mum is now in a Care Home in the North East, unable to look after herself. The good news is that, since moving there and being with other people as well as eating properly, she seems to have recovered a lot of her faculties and is quite chirpy when I phone her.

I'll be sending this card and some flowers from Len and I for Thursday 14th June - as we would normally do.

Just getting home from the school reunion means that time isn't really on my side. BUT, the exciting (and probably totally crazy) bit, which she has no idea about and I hope she doesn't keel over with shock, I've just booked to fly up from Southampton first thing on her birthday, pick up a hire car at Newcastle Airport and should be at the Home in time for morning coffee :)) Then I catch the last flight back that evening - so it is literally a 'flying visit' but I do hope it makes her day extra special. The Care Home Manager is in on the secret but no-one else there is.

There's absolutely no chance of Pearl seeing this blog - she doesn't know I have one and would run a mile from a computer in any case!

Fingers crossed that there isn't fog at either airport or my daft plan will be well and truly scuppered!

Di
x

23 comments:

  1. WOW Di this is breathtaking! I LOVE your amazing fairy, the lace, the bow, the pearls, the flowers, the design, all of it, it is so very beautiful!
    Good to know she is doing better in the home. What a lovely surprise you have planned. I hope all goes as planned and you both have a lovely day.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous card and love the dufex fairy, I bought some of these as I love this particular fairy but was always too scared to use them as you say they are very unforgiving lol. I am sure your flying visit will make her day and it is a wonderful surprise. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't often chose to use dufex, but this card is so pretty. I am an avid collector of all things to do with Cicely Mary Barker's flower fairies, so I love the rose image. And the pearls finish it off beautifully. She will love it! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful PINK card Di. Right up your street colour wise I guess [mine too I must add]. Hope your special visit goes to plan...you are a gem. I'm just sad there isn't a landing strip in my back garden so that I could say drop in here next :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card and I'm sure Pearl will love it.

    A big birthday celebration for Pearl and such a fantastic surprise when you visit. Are you going to walk in with her morning cuppa? She would never guess it'd be you bringing it to her!

    Have a great if not soggy day.

    Big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh Di . . . this is lovely and shiney and will be just perfect for Pearl.

    What a lovely surprise you have planned. Safe trip my friend

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Di, stunning card - all the details are beautiful and the design is so well thought out. I'm sure your step-mum will be delighted and it is heartwarming to hear that she is doing so well in the care home too. Hope everything goes well with your surprise visit. Hugs, Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining us this week at MMM with your beautiful card - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Di, Oh what a wonderful card your step mum will adore this its just so stunning! the layout is gorgeous as is the image l do like decoupage and yours is stunning, so beautifully placed on the card too, love the pearls just as well Di she does love them they are stunning and the roses truly put togeather with a lot of love and thought its just gorgeous hope she has a lovely day:)x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Di

    Your card is stunning and so beautiful. I love the soft gentle colours. The petal edged card is just perfect for your card. I am sure Pearl will be thrilled with not only her card but your visit.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stunning card Di - perfectly pearlicious!
    Tara
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful Di, and great plans to surprise her too. Bet she has a fantastic day with you popping in.

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely card would be great for someones pearl wedding anniversary see you sat

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a stunning card, love all the pearls, not tried dufex, fabulous pink bow, so jealous as I struggle with bows.
    Enjoy your reunion and what a fabulous surprise for your SM's birthday.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super card and even more super suprise for Pearl on her Birthday. Both my parents are in a care home and thriving on being properly looked after for the first time in years. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Forgot to say have a super reunion with the other girls. No tying their plaits and shoelaces together now. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is lovely - I am sure your step mum will be absolutely delighted with it.
    Thank you so much for joining us at MMM.
    Valx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just so pretty!!! LOVE the pearl swirls--such an amazing card! Thanks for joining us at MMM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. ah Di think that is awfully kind and thoughtful of you to do that!
    .. but not sure what that dufex is - it looks really nice - but did you paint on the background behind fairy, or is special paper? trust her day was very very special! love Shaz in oZ.x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This lovely card just exudes 'elegance' 'feminine' 'gentililty', and I can't think of any other words, but just looks like something a lady of refinement would so appreciate. It is spectacular with all the elements & shimmer you combined, and she is sure to love it. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous card Di. The fairy is so sweet and love the subtle sheen from the Dufex card.
    Thanks for joining our challenge this week at Make My Monday.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.