Friday 29 June 2012

Friday Feast - Sausage and Mushroom Pot Pie(s)

Trying this recipe came about from having bought a load of Cumberland sausages from Costco, which turned out to have really tough skins. So, rather than waste those left in the freezer, I searched my 'clippings file' for a suitable recipe:

Sausage and Mushroom Pot Pie(s)

Serves 2

2 tsp olive oil - what? Not enough, I upped it to nearer 2 tablespoons in total
1 small onion , chopped
6 pork sausages (Cumberland ones worked great)
250g chestnut mushrooms , halved
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
4 tbsp low-fat crème fraîche
small bunch parsley , chopped
85g ciabatta , torn into small chunks 

Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened, then push to one side. Squeeze the meat from the sausages and roll into balls. Add to the pan and fry for 5 mins until golden. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 mins more until softened.

Season, then stir in the mustard, crème fraîche and 4 tbsp water. Bubble for 2 mins, then remove from the heat and scatter in the parsley.

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Transfer sausage mixture to 2 small pie dishes or 1 large baking dish. Toss the ciabatta in the remaining oil, scatter over the top of the pies and bake for 20 mins until golden and bubbling.

Things I do: As you can see, I opted to bake it all in one dish but you can use individual dishes. I followed the recipe but next time I make it, it was delicious so worth another whirl, I'd increase the amount of crème fraîche by another 2-4 tablespoons. I also increased the amount of olive oil - see ingredients. If you don't like mustard you can leave it out I guess. 

Today's card, for cat lovers, is below by the way :)

Enjoy!

Di
x

10 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me...but then there really is not a lot I don't like to eat [hense the figure!].
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG . . . that looks and sounds divine.

    I always skin my sausages regardless!

    Gonna print that one out and use xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, cumberland sausages! Haven't had those in absolutely yonks! But yer over cookin' yer mushrooms missus!! 5 mins?! Shocking!!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Di, This looks tasty!! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really warming and yummy and being a Cumbrian girl I adore Cumberland sausage, but not so keen on mushrooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Di, this does look really tasty and simplish to make. Alan loves Cumberland sausage so he may just enjoy trying this dish. Another winner, methinks :) Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good enough to eat, bought time you got yourself a hellicoper then you could zoom round every Friday with samples for us.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm... Once I'm off my diet I am definitely going to try this!

    love Mags (I lost 2 lb last week!) B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you believe I'm reading this 5/28/22? I'm going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.