Sunday 5 February 2012

Pixie's Crafty Snippets - Challenge Number 6

Another week of fun and frolics in the snippets playground - at times it got so busy I truly thought of hiring a bouncy castle as the swings were taking a real beating :)

Another pre-loved stamp, having its first little inking up by yours truly:
It all started with a piece of bright green ribbon which was already nicely knotted, removed from a box of Christmas candy the other day. In the midst of trying to catalogue stamps here and sort stuff out that 'someone' was heaving down from the loft - I managed to make a little card on Thursday based round the ribbon lying forlornly on the desk in here.

Apart from the card itself, everything came from the snippets folder:

I used:

- 5" x 5" white square card stock

- Forever Friends 'Bear With Balloon' image stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad and coloured with Pro Markers. I later added Anita's glaze to the balloon but no way will it show up - when you don't want the light to bounce back it does and then when you do want some reflection it just won't play along

- a shaped card in pearlescent orange which was already damaged at the centre fold when it arrived in a goodie bag from a reputable supplier so it ended up in the snippets folder :( I just sliced off either end so it formed a mat to go underneath the layer of orange card, topped with a snippet of bright green and orange paper

- the piece of green ribbon that kicked it all off :)

I haven't added a sentiment, so this will go into the next box of cards for St. Luke's Hospice as they do like to have some cards without sentiments.

And, now onto this week's roll call - the most important bit of this posting :)

First into the playground was Beth, with both a hangover and a great card for a boy which you can see here - the card, not the hangover! She used a LOTV stamped image that's absolutely right for boys of most ages and stunning background papers from her snippets stash -  and, it was Beth's first ever visit so I let her have a double go on the swings :)

A few of you have also been making cards for Sarn's Rudolph Day Challenge and some of you have been even wiser and have combined both snippets and Rudolph Day. Our rebel Brenda, who is quite proud of sometimes hopping over the playground fence, arrived next with one such card in lovely shades of blue which you can see here. The lovely tissue flower caught everyone's eye and later in the week Brenda also published a little tutorial on how it was made - and that can be seen here. On her next visit, we were shown a lovely bright and cheerful hedgie card which is here, and then on another visit Brenda brought a Less Is More offering in her satchel. You can see it here - and it's very clever too, look for the finishing touch beside the sentiment when you hop over - perfect! Brenda's last card of the week is here - and it's a real stunner. A  Christmas card with a gorgeous Milton the Bear image and so much lovely detail on it, I love it!

Sandra H was our next playmate, with this really sweet card featuring the cutest hedgie and beautifully coloured. It's one of those images that just makes you go 'Aaaaah' and remember that the real ones are currently snoozing the Winter away. I like the touch that Sandra used by rounding the bottom right corner of her card too - very effective!

Then Jules hopped in with two totally gorgeous cards at once, one was for Rudolph Day and both used snippets :) I always feel dreadful commenting on the amazing makes that Jules brings with her - what can I say to do them justice! So you'll have to go here to check them out for yourselves - the first is another hedgie rushing along with flowers (it took me a while to spot the heart, duh) and the second card features a juggling penguin :))

Linby joined us next with this lovely card, in soft shades of blue and also showing us a very clever trick. When you go and look at Linby's snippets card (it's the first one in her posting, but the others are also worth a peek too) make sure you check out the flower she made using the offcuts from the punched border. That's certainly using your snippets well Linby :)

Then along came Hazel with a beautiful card  here which followed a sketch on Mojo Monday - all gorgeous blues and white, really elegant and clean so it's stunning in its simplicity. It's been a quiet week from Hazel in the playground but I've hopped over to her blog and she's OK - just tackling a big sort out of her craft room and we all know what a task that can be :)

Mary did make me laugh last week - she was proudly showing her friend how to link into the playground but when she arrived last week's roll call was in the process of being finished off and the playground gates were still locked. So she ran away with her card but thankfully she came back again later and her first card is here. Perfect for a dress maker too. Mary was another clever crafter who then used snippets to make her Rudolph Day card - to see the lovely easel card she produced go here. I have those gorgeous Bo Bunny Christmas papers and Mary has given me a few ideas for using some of the ones with larger images on, thank you Mary!!

Then Sarn trotted into the playground with a couple of 'shabby chic' cards - she'd even been flinging the Gesso around. Sarn's first card in mustard and purple had some lovely die cut flourishes on - stunning! But, here's the very clever bit, her second card made use of the leftovers as a stencilling mask - do go and check them both out here. I'll be hanging onto some of the leftovers from die cutting in future - a super tip Sarn!

Irene arrived with such a soft and gentle vintage card - using a stamp she 'd had since 1997, never even inked until now! To see the lovely result go here - what  lot we crafters are for hoarding but I think Irene could be going for the World Record in unused stamps :) Later in the week, we had another visit from Irene with this really sweet birthday card. I did smile at the little face peeking out of the box - and I also smiled when Irene entered it for An Oldie But A Goodie, thinking once again of her bid for the World Record in stamp hoarding :)

Next, for her first visit of the week, in came Elizabeth with such a happy sunflower card - you can't help but smile and feel that sometime we might have another Summer - to see it and be cheered up not end, hop over here. On Elizabeth's next visit she brought this cute little canvas - and also showed us how she made it - beautiful and perfect for Valentine's Day too! I do love to see how people make things :)

Andria strolled in with a card to take your breath away - I won't spoil it too much for you, just think Tilda, pink, a stepper card, fabulous colouring and beautiful embellishments - then go here to see for yourself. Every detail is just so gorgeous.

Then along came Sally H with a really super card in her satchel. Fantastic background papers and the most beautiful butterfly - plus the low down on how she did the butterfly too. Go and take a peek here - isn't it just super?!

Gilly arrived next with a dual purpose card, both using snippets and for Rudolph Day - to see what she brought, it's here. I love front doors on Christmas cards - they always look so welcoming, and another one for the Christmas card pile too. And now I'm going to tell a little tale, Gilly is getting married sometime soon and, as I follow, her I spied something later this week that isn't a snippet make but you truly ought to go and see. Gilly is experimenting with paper flowers for her wedding bouquet - I loved the first flowers in this post but do go over to Gilly's here and scroll down until you see the rose she made. What do you think of that then - isn't it just stunning!? For the life of me I can't understand how Gilly doesn't have more followers - I'm certainly going to be keeping a close eye on developments in the run up to her wedding as there are bound to be loads more amazing creations.

Tammy was a bit worried about coming to play a few times this week but don't fret Tammy - we always love to see what you're up to. First was this beauty - all red and white - and using some of Tammy's fabulous buttons too.Next was a lovely ice cream (and buttons) here - I did remark that right now that delicious ice cream wouldn't melt outside over here! A 'quick make' of a robot card was held out next time Tammy came to play on the swings - if this is a quick make then I must be the world's slowest card maker! Then, yesterday when we were sort of waiting for snow, Tammy returned with a real blaze of sunshine - it made me smile and instantly feel much warmer, really bright and cheerful and you can see it here.

Sam was next, scurrying in with a make for both Rudolph Day and using snippets. In fact, I can't imagine Sam ever scurrying anywhere - as a Scottish dancer I would expect her to leap in, little feet a-twinkling and arms above her head - sheesh, I need a lie down just thinking of the amount of energy she must have! To see Sam's lovely vintage style card - go here. Lots of lovely detail and a beautiful image too Sam. And, there was a surprise visit again from Sam yesterday with this beauty of a card - fantastic image and papers, plus some fantastic colouring - well worth hopping over to have a peek! I can't see a cat wearing a big bow frightening a mouse either :)

Our next offering was from Liz - and I think she gets the 'class swot' star this week. She's only gone and cracked how to use her brayer, to see the lovely result go here. Well done Liz - a lot of us would like the know the secret! I laughed out loud when Elizabeth (I think) commented on my blog ages ago that she approaches her brayer as if it's a live grenade :)) Liz called back again with a great Christmas card - paper pieced to perfection. Those baubles look absolutely great - to see what I mean, hop over and have a look here.

Sylvia-Anne then brought a card to really bring you up with a start - lots of delicious hearts which you can see here. The card was also made for Less Is More and I can certainly see how beautifully it qualified for the challenge. What with Valentine's Day coming and also using heart shaped punches to make flowers I can see a run on these in craft stores!

Next to arrive was Carol with a super Christmas card with a Kraft card as the basis - the colours are gorgeous shades of brown and cream. I love the snowman too. Correction, on closer inspection I'm sure it's a Mrs Snowman - to decide for yourself Carol's card can be found here. I also have some serious snippets envy Carol, beautiful papers!

Sandy whizzed in from Adelaide next. Sandy's got a lot going on in her life right now and it was especially good that she found time to come and play - bringing this really lovely card with her. Another one to make you feel cheerful. Sandy's next card is a baby card - reminding me that a new baby is due that I need to make a card for - it's a super card and beautifully decorated inside and out. So glad you came by Sandy and I know we all hope things look up for you soon.

Maggie then came in to show her beautiful Anniversary card which is perfect for  a Ruby Wedding celebration - to see for yourself, go here. If you love hearts, roses and butterflies then you'll just love this. I think that Maggie used some peel offs for the butterfly and some flowers. popped them onto acetate and then coloured them before trimming round them to add to the card - so, there are always lots of use for those peel offs girls! Great result.

So, that's it for another week - the swings have all been cleaned, the roundabout is oiled and if you look hard, there's a new pile of skipping ropes in the corner too:)) Ha, ha - you'll have to clear the snow away to get to anything first though :)

I have something else on my 'to do' list for this week - and that's to put a 'snippets button' on the sidebar for you to grab if you wish for your own blog (thank you Sam for the little prompt!). With luck it might appear during the week but I'll mention it at the next roll call anyhow.

It's just gone midnight so I'm going to press publish and then hop into bed - I hope that I've covered everyone's links. Please shout if I haven't :)

Mr Linky is below as usual - hope to see you again this week. I've loved hopping round seeing what you've been making, thank you all for joining in! Big hug!

Di
x

30 comments:

  1. This time I didn't have to sneak under the fence....I'm actually up late so I could publish before heading off to bed. Di, very sweet snippet card. Great use of the candy box ribbon....Sweet little bear and I like the colors, very cheerful....Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW . . . Mary . . . up late (early??) good job it's not a "school night"!

    DI . . . I love your Forever Friends card. Good to see green and orange being used to great effect when it's NOT Halloween! Congrats xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Di as ever! We have lots of snow ooop north, do you any yet??? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Di, sorry I missed last week, wedding stationery got in the way but I'm hoping to make up for it this week :)
    Your card is lovely, I love your choice of colours.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card Di, I love the warm colours - just what we need right now, Great use of dies, and what an adorable bear.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fab card Di & wow what a roll call this week. Can I just say what a great job you are doing. It must take up so much of your time visiting everybody's blogs & yet you still have time to make such beautiful cards. Also thank you very much for my write up in the roll call. It was really sweet of you. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Di

    Thank you for opening up the playground gates .. .. even though the weather is so bad.

    Love the idea of the bouncy castle .. .. I have always fancied a go on one of those (when no-one is looking LOL!!).

    Loving your snippet make. Gorgeous colours and great shapes.

    Thanks again for a brilliant post .. .. it must have taken you for ever to write with so many playmates taking part.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Di, great card and without a sentiment it could be very useful for a number of occasions. Love how your inspiration started with the ribbon. I have a one of my desk that is almost identical, except that it's mauve, and the source was a perfume box. Lovely to see that cute wee pre-loved stamp getting an outing too.

    You'll see that my snippet offering is a bit different today ... it's more a leftover make, so does that qualify? Whatever, it did away with a good few sizable bits of paper :)

    Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Di,

    You really ought to write a book! You can make just about anything interesting!!

    The bouncy castle sounds very fun - better than the usual padding on the walls....

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore Teddy Bears Di - especially the Forever Friends bears. Love your gorgeous colour scheme too.
    Hugs, Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the little bear!

    I tried to sneek in at the last minute last night, but i guess my timing is bad. Well, I KNOW my timing is bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Di, glad to hear my layout qualifies - does that mean I get a go on a swing now :) You're right, that is me with my DH in the middle shot. You're too flattering, it's not my favourite shot, I'm not looking my best ... it was taken when I was very ill and blown up like a balloon. Before I had my gallbladder op - you wouldn't think a little think like a few gallstones could inflict such damage! I'm stunned to learn you'd never watched Barbara Gray in action until today ... bet it made the ironing so much more enjoyable :) Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for letting me play last week! I enjoyed my swings and special privileges! Your card is darling and way to go on upcycling! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just popped in with another one before I go on holiday Di - see you soon!
    Sylvia x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know how much I love forever friends, this card is gorgeous. I've never really seen those colours used together but they really work! Great card as always and great roll call, can't wait to get back home and join in with the snippets challenge. Only 2 more weeks to go!
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fab card Di, I love the gorgeous Spring colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Morning Di, Thanks for another great snippet challenge and l have just placed my card with lots of oldie goodies used! love your image and as always greatly coloured and lovely die cutouts and background too! l'm surprised you have time to make these lovely card with all the fabulous comments you leave for the previous snippet challenge thank you so much they are truly appreciated:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. l Forgot to mention it was the little girls birthday the same day as starting school too so l doubled up on the card!!:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card, very cute. First time snippet challenge for me, hope I got it right. Take care, Lyn x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can you believe it....twice in one week. It's been such fun creating and seeing what everyone else is up to. My snippet box is lighter, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love reading your posts Di, they always cheer me up. Love your snippet card - funny how someone else's snippets always look nicer than your own isn't it? Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm back....what a fun week I'm having. Of course my housework isn't getting done, but I'm loving the play time I'm having.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm on a roll now, I've just added my third project (with more to come) so hopefully I will redeem myself for not making the play ground last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the card!
    The colours are great, and it's simple, yet very effective!! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey hey! I have added a card to your snippet challenge, JUST so I can play in the playground too!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wahoo . . . I MADE it . . . by the skin of my teeth.

    GOSH the playground's getting crowded . . . I'll have to be patient and wait my turn on the swings. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Having so much fun on the bouncy castle I forgot the time and then in rushing I got all tangled up in the skipping ropes. (Who put them there!!!). Made it just in time and now I'm late for me tea and its dark too. Anyone got a light?
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Phew! I made it! A bit of a Strathspey week this week with a lickle bit of reeling then a fast jig at the end to get my posting done in time!!
    Don't like bouncy castles as someone always has too much jelly before going on there and then it has to be cleaned up!! LOL! Prefer slides meself!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your card is so spring like and cheerful, most welcomed at this chilly time of year. Love the sweet bear the colors and die cut shapes! Love that you used that lovely ribbon too!

    Wow what a roll call! I don’t know how you do it! I saw a report on the news showing people ‘texting’ on their phones IN THEIR SLEEP! Are you commenting and writing the roll call in your sleep? Do you sleep?
    I am sure the popularity of the playground is due in part to yours and previously Jules’ brilliant commentaries but if this keeps up I’m afraid you wont be able too. At this rate the snippet challenge will soon be as popular as WOYWW. May I suggest instead of linking to each individual card you simply refer to the number on Mr. Linky in your comments. I’m sure no one would object to popping down to Mr. Linky to find the cards as they do at Julia’s WOYWW. I would think this would be much easier on you.
    Love & Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.