Sunday 1 October 2023

Sunday snippets and Christmas 3D embossing

It's the First of October and Autumn is certainly settling in here. The sun is lower in the sky, nights are beginning to draw in and a couple of early mornings the central heating has kicked in.

Time for a new Snippets challenge #464 HERE and this is my Christmas snippets card:


A closer look at the 3D embossing

The snippets I used. Unsure what colour I wanted to use for the sentiment I die cut three different colours - and kept the unused (the red and blue as it turned out) sentiments for another day!

I used:

- DL (UK sized) white card blank - tent style

- piece of white card, embossed using a Nellie's Choice NBUS 3-D embossing folder called 'Snowy Landscape'

- trimmed the embossed piece of card to .25" smaller all round than the white card blank

- trimmed a piece of SU's 'Real Red' card to measure very slightly larger than the embossed panel, ran a silver calligraphy marker around the edge then glued to embossed panel on top of the red one

- glued the red framed embossed panel onto the card front

- the sentiment was die cut using a snippet of Tonic's Pearlescent 'Luna Silver' card and my much loved Tonic Studios 'Mini Moments Merry Christmas' die - twice then layered one on top of the other

-  glued the sentiment to the card front - finished!

I'm very wary of 3-D embossing folders and used my hand cranked Cuttlebug to do the embossing - at least that way one can feel if the pressure is too much rather than risk damaging the Gemini. 

This card is for Darnell's NBUS Challenge #55 over HERE. My NBUS was the embossing folder of course!

Pupdate: Dudley has the most beautiful white plume of a tail which he generally carries rather jauntily curved over his back. Whilst playing with him a week or so ago I could feel that there was some 'clumping' of the plume hairs going on. It then took me two 'de-matting' sessions with a lot of cuddles and love plus even a bit of nursery rhyme reciting to try and distract him! He's a very determined little dog when it comes to certain things he doesn't like - he will resist all the way. He even tried the anguished and pleading looks - which almost broke my heart. The comfort I do have is that I know it wasn't hurting him as he's very quick to squeak - and also, the time spent means he doesn't need to be tackled with scissors or worse still clippers! Basically, the long fine silky hair gets a tiny tangle in it which then grows rather like a seed, gathering up other hairs to try to form a matt - which needs gently teasing apart one little bit at a time. A long and quite stressful job and there were a good few of those pesky 'seeds' to be tackled. Gone are the days when Dudley was small enough for me to tuck underneath my armpit with his head poking out looking behind me so I could get to his tail easily - he used to look rather like a set of small Northumbrian bagpipes! 

I didn't dare mention to Dudley during our 'up close and personal' tail grooming sessions that he's actually got the very beginnings of a 'doggy hum' - which means a bath is on the horizon! Poor little guy - another 'treat' in store! We celebrated his 'Gotcha Day' during the week - five whole years of fun and frolics.

Love from Dudley - and of course me, 






16 comments:

  1. Long hair is an issue sometimes, our Poppy needs trimming regularly and has the same tail issue (so do I with my waist length mane!!) and whilst good when her body is done, resists when it comes to the tail. The Labs can never understand why they don't get trimmed and always look on hopefully.

    Lovely clean cut lines of your DL card. Of to see if I;ve got something to fit the bill.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely embossed scene, making a simply elegant card. Glad you spotted the clumping before it got too bad, and can’t believe it’s five years 😳xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful card Di - elegant and so full of texture - I love it
    Poor Dudley - he really would love to be just one big ball of matted fur, if he could have it his way!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. FIVE whole years? Can’t believe it! Congrats on sorting out Dudley’s tail clumps. Good luck with bathing him!

    LOVE LOVE LOVE your pretty embossed Christmas card. Tres chic xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful embossed card - love it. Dudley is such a lucky dog having all the care and attention lavished on him - good luck with bathtime 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely card Di, the embossing folder is lovely and another for my wish list!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful card Di the embossing is stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fabulous 3D EF you used for your Super CAS, Di! Really outstanding. Love your addition of the silver border on the red mat edges, so professional!
    Well done on your hard work with Dudley! I know that those small knot seeds must be loosened immediately, otherwise al became much more complicated. Hard to explain to Dudley, despite his intelligence! :) I’m sure he made you sweat and being very sorry for him, but that work was really necessary. Make lots of cuddles to him by me!
    And even if it's late, I wish you all Happy Gotcha Day!
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 3D embossing is beautiful and all that white snow looks lovely with a bold sentiment. The adventures of Dudley are always amusing. The little scamp would probably feel perfect sitting in a mud puddle and never being groomed LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely embossing folder Di. Love the textured white and that fab sentiment making a little pop of colour along with the red mat. Happy Gotcha Day for Dudley - where did that five years go?!! It must be impossible to even imagine a time when he wasn't with you! Hugs, Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Di! That embossed scene is gorgeous and I really love all that white with a touch of red and grey - perfect! Hugs, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This snowy scene EF is very pretty Di, and the pop of red for the matted layer and silver for the sentiment finish it beautifully. Dudley is such a fun but wily dog and the stories of his doings always make me smile...can't believe it's been five years. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this card Di, I’m sat here trying to convince myself that I don’t NEED this embossing folder. 🤣

    I can’t believe that it was five years ago Dudley became part of your family. How time flies! He’s certainly had lots of adventures with you since he arrived. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your card is stunning, Di! I just came from the playground to get a closer look! That embossing folder is beautiful, and so is your card! Great use of snippets - I do the same for all of my die-cuts! Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a serene scene, Di! So lovely for Christmas! Sorry to be so late visiting. I'm just back home after one week with Anita and two weeks traveling. It was great fun, but I'm feeling my age and verrrrry slowly getting things back to normal and getting back on line. Happy 5th birthday with your beloved Duds! It's four years for us with Nellie. I can relate to the tail combing and with Nellie, it's also her sweet ears that get matted if I don't keep up with combing. It happens from the leash on her daily walks and it's amazing how quickly that fine hair gets tangled! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. A stunning card, what a beautiful embossing folder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.