- 4" x 5.5" white card blanks
- pearlescent white 'Centura' card, deep red satin mirri card and gold mirri card for the candles and entwining ribbon - die cut using a Memory Box 'Tall Taper Candle' die (having backed the card with Stick-It adhesive sheet
- plain white card onto which I layered and pieced the candle and entwining ribbon
- deep red satin mirri card and gold mirri card to back the image layer
- layered everything up using Collall All Purpose glue
- to finish off I added a gold peel off sentiment, at that point after what seemed like hours of work, no way was I gonna risk stamping and embossing in gold!
After uploading the photo I noticed that although the 'entwined ribbon' on the left card is gold all the way, the reddish hue in the bottom part of the gold mirri is the reflection of the top I was wearing when I took the photo! Apart from setting up the camera, running out of the room and taking photos remotely it's just something I have to live with I suspect - unless anyone has any easy solutions? Anyone suggesting 'Don't use shiny mirri card' will be immediately sent to stand on the naughty step!! ;)
And, although I do love this die, so much so that I gave one away as a Playground prize back in August last year, there's definitely a knack to using it if you want to fill in the candle and ribbon with die cut pieces. I think it looks really elegant with just the outline, but this time round wanted to experiment a bit.
I've found the same problem it with some other dies too - if you're not careful when assembling the die outline and 'filling in' pieces, the outline could be slightly distorted which ends up causing problems with unwanted overlapping or even gaps.
My way round this was to cut all the pieces I wanted to use, sort out what was what and line them up in little rows. Then, I carefully peeled off about a third of the protective backing from the adhesive which was on the die cut outline, starting from the bottom - and stuck that bottom third onto the card panel I was using. That gave me something of a starting point for the bottom half of the candle and two of the ribbon twists. Then it was just a case of carefully working up the length of the outline, peeling off about a third of the backing again, gently applying the outline and adding in the inserts - and the same for the top third.
By doing the process in stages (OK, so it takes a little bit longer but so worth it!) you're applying the framework of the image bit by bit rather than in one fell swoop where there's much more chance of distortion. Ask me how I know this :)
I just KNEW I'd read thoughts about using this die elsewhere, and just found it over at Cathy's blog. Her solution would work wonderfully well too - especially if you're gluing the pieces in place rather than using the sticky adhesive backing.
I'd like to enter these cards into Rudolph Day for August over at ScrappyMo's, where it's always 'anything goes'.
And of course, I deliberately used gold on the cards so I could play along over at Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge this week (use some gold) - and I'm also entering into Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for August, where it's also always 'anything goes'.