Sunday 22 February 2015

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 165

We've got the first signs of Spring here in the Playground at last! And so, what did I do but make a Christmas card for Merry Monday, using snippets of course, and the theme is 'Santa'. Easy you might think, but I have only a couple of Santa stamps here. So I turned to a great idea I found and bookmarked not so long ago - and this is where the fun begins.

The idea came from a really inspiring USA based Stampin' Up demo lady called Debbie Henderson, whose blog I've followed for a good while - and I was halfway through making the Santas when the penny dropped. I was only CASE-ing the very same Debbie who's on the Merry Monday Design Team! So, although I'm entering this into the challenge - after much 'shall I, shan't I' - I do hope that Debbie doesn't mind such a direct CASE of the Santa humself. It's a compliment for sure as I love the idea and I really thought you girls would love to find out more about using punches and dies to make a 'Snippety Santa'!!
I used:

- 4" x 4" white card blank

- background is a snippet of SU's 'Real Red' card stock, topped with a snippet of DP from Dovecraft's ' Back to Basics Christmas - Modern' paper pack

- snippets of more Real Red, white and peach card stock

- if you look at the Santa, he's really fairly self-explanatory but here goes. For the moustache and beard I used the SU 'Bow Builder' punch and then embossed the pieces using a Cuttlebug 'Swiss Dots' folder (Debbie used the SU bow builder dies BTW)

- for Santa's face, using a snippet of peach card stock I punched a circle using SU's  1.3/8ths circle punch, and his nose came from the same peach snippet (using a round SU 'Itty Bitty' punch)

- ha, then I hit a problem. The hat is just a triangle but my SU pennant punch isn't big enough. When I'm playing without any real instructions I just used scrap paper to see how things will fit together - and the hat looked a bit like a pea on a drum when I used the punch to be honest!! So I used a Spellbinders 'Nested Lacy Pennant' die and just trimmed it straight but you could hand cut the triangles to size of course

- the 'fur trim' on the hat is just a white snippet punched using SU's 'Word Window' punch, and then the top of Santa's hat was folded down and stuck in place with a little piece of Ultra Strong sticky tape. The 'pompom' is another white snippet punched using the round SU 'Itty Bitty' punch again

- and of course Santa has googly eyes,  the box with them in was still on my desk after making the Ninja Turtles - which you can see here if you missed them along with my step by step tutorial on how to make them :)

NB. Whilst writing this my latest Stampin' Up order arrived and I think, having quickly punched a paper template and tried it on top of the completed card, the Christmas Tree punch (with the trunk cut off) would do the trick for Santa's hat!

Also, there are many varieties of punch art Santas on the internet, some with beards made using scalloped punches or dies - as well as moustaches made using the SU 'Bird Builder' punch set wings.

I actually made three of these little cards, all the same - am managing to keep on my target of 12 Christmas cards per month, yay!

Straight onto this week's picks now:
It's our talented playmate Carol L, with such a great pop-up card. One to CASE for sure!

Viv made this beautiful card, loads of snippets and the peach tones are so gorgeous.


This is such a bright and happy heart which Kate brought to show us. What a great way to use up snippets of cotton yarns.

Sharp intake of breath when I spotted Darnell waving this card - so CAS and a wonderful design.

And last but not least, Sally set to using the set of stamps she won in the Playground the other week - so clever to use two of the stamps like that and the background for those deep shaded roses is beautiful. I should know 'cos it's here on my desk :)

And we have one new playmate this time:
Welcome and we'd love to see you playing again! Love all the flowers and butterflies on this lovely card.

Now the draw for last week's prize - the lovely set of our Sarn's 'Sarntangle' stamps - and the winner is:
Oh well done Andrea! I just checked my little book here and have a feeling this might be your very first Playground win!? Yet you've been playing for ages - just shows, good things come to those who wait. Can you please let me have your address (di_wray@hotmail.com) and I'll post your set of stamps off ASAP this coming week.

I know from what Andrea said in her comments this week that she really wanted her name to be drawn, as did quite a few of you. Gosh how I wish I had a big box of the stamps to offer :(

I know I'm doing more promotional work here but the Sarntangle stamps are a limited run of 50 and a lot have already been sold. I also know that Sarn doesn't plan to have any more produced so if you love them as much as me - why not hop over to this link to see just what other people have been making using the stamps. It might just make your mind up :)

And this coming week's prize has absolutely nuffin' to do with the snippets card I made for today.
It's a set of 'Build-a-Scene dies by X-Cut called 'Nautical' - kindly donated by Viv. I think these will be huge fun to play with (loads of fabulous dies in the set, up in the teens) and perfect for sea scene cards for boys and men! If you zoom in there are some examples at the bottom of the packet and more ideas can be found on the internet.

ON THE SUBJECT OF PRIZES: our Playmate Eve currently has a lovely giveaway over at her blog HERE, it's a really nice set of SU stamps and due to internet issues she's now leaving the draw open until 25th February. I've joined in for a chance :)

The Snippets Challenge will run for one week and the Playground gates will close at 11am UK time on Saturday 28th February. The gates will open again at midnight UK time on the same day.

Maximum of three entries and please say 'Yes please' (or similar) in a comment if you wish to play and be a possible winner of the prize.

Mr Linky is below - do please let me know if you have any problems linking, it's easy for me to sort out so don't struggle on alone :)

Di and of course, Parsnip!
x

67 comments:

  1. Wow I love your santa Di! Such a fab card!
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Santa card Di, such a clever use of punches and snippets! Gorgeous showcase, congrats to Andrea. I'm playing for fun this week so no thank you to the lovely prize :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and fantastic Santa, Di! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday and CASEing one of our Merry Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Santa looks amazing! What a cool idea! Congrats to all the picks - I always enjoy seeing them - and to the lucky winner! This week's prize looks a lot of fun - count me in! I will be back tomorrow to play in the playground! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh, this santa is too cute!!! I love his bow beard and stash!!! Adorable!! Such awesome shout outs Di, I love all the wonderful projects, especially that heart! So many talented people plays at the playground!!! Wow, I can't believe another week has flew by. I wish we saw some signs of spring, all we got today was a pile of snow!! lol About 6 or 7 inches worth, so no spring signs here, send some over Di!!! lol Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Santa is just amazing, Di! Wonderful picks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah clever work Miss, just love the card with all its dimensions and textures,.. And well done ont heaps ages work too, love them all, Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ultra cool Santa card - that is so darn clever. I am sure she will be delighted that you got inspiration from her :-D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGosh, Superb! What an innovative idea using Bow as a moustache and beard:)
    Wonderful picks and Congrats to winner! Count me in, this is a lovely prize!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your Santa - yes please to the prize

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh just love your Santa card and what great examples from the playmates. The dies from xcut are fabulous - I have that set and it's great fun to use. Somebody is going to be very lucky this week. Enjoy your day Di.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Santa looks really clever - must have a go using your description. Thanks for that. Just playing for fun this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Santa, great Christmas card. Thanks for playing at Merry Monday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. COR - I am LOVING your use of punches on your snippets to make this FAB SANTA card. Thanks for sharing how you did it.

    TERRIFIC picks this week too.

    YAY - CONGRATULATIONS to Andrea on winning the Sarntangles. Thanks for offering them as a prize Di.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Santa card is amazing .... so clever! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun Santa Di. We had a very frosty start to the morning today so Santa would have felt at home! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wauuuu how cute Santa
    love your card
    and all other too
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome cards but that santa is amazing, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the cute Santa - I know several youngsters who would love him on their Christmas card so may have a go myself! Would love a change to win the dies, please.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cooeee and yipeee. I had to look twice as I couldn't believe I was lucky enough to win these fantastic Sarntangles stamps - it really has made my day and cheered me up. Things aren't going to plan again this week but I will stop by later just for fun.
    Oops so carried away I nearly forgot to say what a fabulous Santa card and super picks xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi again - Just joined in for fun as I have this die set. Love that Santa you created - gonna have to try that one out.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Santa is so stinkin' cute! Gorgeous picks too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cute Santa - I've still not managed to get started on Christmas, there's just one card in my box. I love the Build A Scene dies - I've used one in my card this week - and that is one of the few I haven't already got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes please, I would LOVE to go into the draw!

      Delete
    2. Have added your name to the Yes please list Jane - good luck! xx

      Delete
  24. Love your adorable Santa...these would be GREAT for the grandkiddos!! Yes please on the dies...woowho, what great ones these are, too! I am soooooooo glad I got to come back and play in your challenge again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this cleverly made Santa Di and he fills the card beautifully. Congratulations to Andrea for winning Sarn's lovely stamps and wonderful snippety highlights again this week. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fan snippety Santa - he is adorable, Di. (You could also enter him for CHNC challenge extra - would love to see him there). I have a snippet card that will be shown and linked tomorrow morning - and I would love to be considered for the give away. xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very clever snippet Santa, thank you for sharing, I have a few red snippets ready to use, beautiful picks as always.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fab Santa card! Thanks for sharing the instructions on how to make him.

    Congratulations for Andrea on her win. Lovely picks too again, Di.

    I'm a Yes Please to go into the draw again this week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. So cute Di is your card and so creative too! l love it........congrats to Andrea enjoy your win and wow what gorgeous array of entries again you have choosen they are gorgeous well done all x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your Santa is just adorable! All the cards displayed are a joy for the eyes to see.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your Santa card. Wonderful picks once again, I might, erm, have to case Carol's card if she doesn't mind. I hope Parsnip has taken to the Playground guard dog, lol. Great pic. Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the beautiful welcome!
    Your card is fun and so cute, fabulous!

    I play again :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Can't remember if I commented earlier but feel I didn't, so, what a fab make and such a fun image and great use of all those dies.
    Gorgeous picks and I have played for fun.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous Santa card, Thank you for playing along with Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh My goodness, that is one adorable Santa!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Adorable Santa! Thank you for the step by step instructions for making it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How funny about how you connected the dots between Santa and Debbie! I'm glad you went ahead as your card is super cute and it's a compliment to her! I love your spotlights, a couple of which I haven't seen, and thank you so much for spotlighting my card!! It's quite a shock to scroll down and see your own card! Congratulations to Andrea!! And go you for being on track with your Xmas resolution. Pfft, if I don't change my ways, I'll be in the same boat as I was last year and lucky to have 12 done in the YEAR!! Have a great week! Mwah! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  38. Me again Miss will gratefully decline the die set... Just love to,play, Shaz.xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, that santa is soooooo hilarious! Very funny and festive.

    Love to join and yes please for the prize.

    Hugs,
    Eemeli

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great picks, Di! Brought you some stars.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congrats on the HM at MM, Di--well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello Miss! Love the Santa - snippety bits looking fab.
    Thanks for the mention - only just had chance to check out your post so well done to everyone and hello to our new playmate!!
    It took me 2 days to extract my (lithe cough cough) body from the frock but am hoping to join in this week JFF!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love your Santa, and thanks for the 'how to'. Would love to win, but enjoying the taking part just as much :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love your adorable Santa made with punches and YES PLEASE, I would love to be in the running for this challenge prize! Speaking of Santas, I have made some using old computer disks as the base...and I'm talking about the old rectangular disks, not CD's ! I have a load of them from way back and just can't seem to toss them without trying to find a crafty use first!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love that cute, cute Santa!!!! He's PRECIOUS!
    Great showcase of cards once again this week.
    (Thought I'd bring Rambo and Sassy over today so they could have fun with the guard dog. Rambo feels the exact same way as that bruiser does! LOL!)
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just playing for fun this week Di! Big hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  47. Clever use of punches to make your jolly Santa, a great fun card.
    I am playing for fun this week thank you.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  48. Super little Santa you have created there and I recognise that paper too. just for fun this week please. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm back again . . . this time with a Snippets card!

    Playing just for fun thanks Di.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my gosh Di, your punch-art Santa is SO cute!! I bought the bow builder punch and need to give this a try!! Thanks for spotlighting my pop-up card this week, and congrats to Andrea for her win! Woot! I'm playing just for fun this week - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I hadn't thought about using the tree punch for a santa (or elf!) hat Di! Very resourceful. Loving your super card and all the amazing picks this week too. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  52. Fabulous Santa....love those eyes and hat! playing along this week and yes would love to be in with a chance for the prize......thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your santa card is great fun. I don't know how you choose the week's picks but as usual they are all fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Now I see my link, but I don't see my comment. So I will try again and you can delete if it is a duplicate. Thank you Di, for a fun challenge, using up snippets. The dies look lovely, but I am playing for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi Miss Di and the lovely Parsnip.
    Yes please to the prize if I'm lucky.
    what a very superb Snippets creation.
    You are very clever thinking up this superb creation.
    I love it.
    Congrats to the picks of the week, and the winner of Sarn's lovely Sarntangle stamps.
    I must say there were some very wonderful entries, and it's so lovely to join my fellow playmates in the wonderful challenge.
    Good luck everyone that enters, and thank you once again for this really great challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Sorry to be so late to the party this week - just playing for fun

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  57. I'm just playing for fun this week

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  58. As always wonderful picks Miss Di and that Santa is awesome! Playing just for fun this week huni. Take care of you and Mr Len and that Parsnip, hope to be back with another but will have to see! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  59. Your Santa is just too cute Di !!
    The top picks are amazing - wow what a talented bunch of playmates.

    Just playing for fun this week thanks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  60. Your Santa is great fun...you never cease to wow me. Great showcase picks.

    Just for fun this week please.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi Di, it's being silly again. I think Mr Linky does not like WordPress for some reason. Please would you be able to link for me, thank you.https://pippapblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/27/raiding-the-snippets-box-for-rudolph-day/
    I am thinking of moving blog sites again, if I can work out the best one to go for!

    ReplyDelete
  62. So sorry I have been absent from the playground, Di. I have not even had time to peek in. I just received my bow punch, yesterday, and now I am super excited to make this adorable Santa! Congrats to winners and those in the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Phew, screeching back in right at the last minute - glad I'm not late or I'd have had to go and stand in the corner

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.