Sunday 27 July 2014

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 135

Wow, what a scorcher of a week in the Playground (and we had 71 entries, wahoo!!) - Parsnip has taken to wearing a knotted handkerchief on his head to ward off the sun when he nips out to refill the lemonade pitchers, which he kindly left under the tree house for you :)

So, with the sun belting down what did I do? Yup, made a Christmas card for my snippets card this week:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card blank

- from the snippets folder, a variety of plain blue card stock (mostly SU I expect) - the more turquoise piece was used to cover most of the card front

- the image was stamped onto a snippet of white card, using Clarity Stamps 'Large We 3 Kings' clear stamp and Ranger 'Jet Black' archival ink. I then covered the image with double sided sticky film, peeled off the top layer and sprinkled Cosmic Shimmer ''Diamond Sprinkles' over the whole image (the photo almost picked it up!)

- then I used one of the plastic templates from the 'Stamps Away Patch Work template, set one' to draw the outlines on darker snippets for the strips of blue card. The template is also perfect for actually re-positioning the cut outs of course, I just used some slivers of removable tape to keep it in place when I was sticking the strips of darker card down. I'd already edged those strips using a silver 'Sakura 5mm Calligrapher pen'

- at that point I popped the assembled and glittered '3 Kings' image onto the card using thin sticky pads to add some dimension and sat gawping at what was a very plain card indeed. I'd veered away from using any patterned snippets but the result was just too stark, sigh

- so, out came the Christmas peel offs - which have almost been thrown out on several occasions. All I added was some sparkly dots down either side strip (Anita's 'Glitterations') then strips of silver holly top and bottom from Anita's Dimensions 'Holly' stickers. The lovely thing about these stickers is that bits of them (most of the holly leaves themselves) aren't adhesive so they can be flicked up to add dimension

- final touch, little clear crystal gems on the holly 'berries' - as well as one in the centre of the Star of Bethlehem' on the stamped image

I'd like to enter this into the current challenge over at Winter Wonderland, which is 'On the move'. I know this often makes people think of skating, ski-ing and such, but we often forget the two really important journeys of Christmas - Mary and Joseph and then the Three Kings.

Gosh it's another scorcher as I'm typing here so I think this could be a quick canter through the weekly 'picks'.
I thought this was such a lovely Christmas card, soft and very pretty - made by Maarit.

Stunning work here by Hazel, and a real touch of ingenuity - who would have guessed that the beautifully filigree panel is actually a votive wrap, popped onto a snippet of gold card. Full marks Hazel for thinking outside the box!

Viv made this totally amazing graduation card - I love all the detail and it's such a clever design!

Kitty made this fantastic 'New Home' card for her 'Honey' with a lovely story behind it. Loads of snippets used here - right down to some torn cardboard from one of the packing boxes. We all wish you loads of luck and happiness in your new home Kitty - do please still come and play!

I love the clean and crisp look of this card, made by Pat. White, brown and sunflower shades - perfect!

I love this card made by Sandy J - right down to the checked snippet just like a rug or towel we'd have taken to the beach :)

Karen P is always pushing the boundaries and trying new techniques, as well as using up snippets of course. What really caught my eye here is the 'Impressionist painting' look that Karen captured by stamping the image in grey before colouring it. I keep forgetting about that tip and it worked brilliantly here!

Eve caught me a bit with this last minute card, I wondered if I was off on a surprise holiday! Eve freely linked to where she got this idea from - isn't it a fabulous card? A design to remember for the future!

So, that was a quick canter, which actually took me longer than planned needless to say - Len is out all day today but I need to be downstairs looking innocent when he gets home as am supposed to be limiting time spent at the keyboard :)

We had two new playmates join us this week - wahoo!!

First of all, Brenda in IN came to play with this great card. Super idea to pop the face in the window - it reminds me a bit of when our Queen photo bombed a selfie just this week at the Commonwealth Games :)

Now, a little plea - right now Brenda doesn't have many visitors or followers as she's quite new to this malarky. It would be great if some of you could visit - and even nicer if anyone can come up with a solution to Brenda having problems when she tries to upload photos to her blog and gets the message that they're too large. Anyone able to help by hopping over with some advice please?

And right before the gates closed, Lucy W arrived with this absolutely gorgeous card. I love how the colouring perfectly matches the paper, loads of lovely detail.

What I read on Lucy'sLucy's profile moved me deeply:

Introduction
My names Lucy I'm 24 from West Sussex (UK) and I have Severe ME and am bedridden. I'm not able to do much but love cardmaking!
Bragging rights
I live in a dark quiet room too poorly for visitors. I do card making for short periods throughout the day in between naps/rests and it keeps me focused and happy as I love it so much!
I don't know about you girls, but I truly didn't see one teeny ounce of self-pity from Lucy. That made me stop and think about how so many of you have health issues and just battle on - taking pleasure in making cards and creating beautiful work. Bless you all my lovely blogging friends - got me almost in tears here :(

OK, let's move on and it's time to see who Mr Random picked to win the MFT 'Notebook Edge' die and the LOTV 'Here comes Annabel' Art Pad - and our winner is:
 
Oh well done to Jules - I'm sure most of you know that Jules started off the Snippets Challenge and always joins in our weekly fun. I've peeked back though your blog Jules and I already knew you like LOTV images (even though I see you normally colour your own maybe these will be good for some quick cards for the cards for sale box?) AND, that you have in the past used shorthand notebook paper with the torn edge in some designs - flippin' enterprising gal :) So, I hope you likey your prize - I'll post it later in the week!

Oh wow, I got a shock at how many of you entered at least three cards over the last couple of week, and thereby qualified for the draw for one of the three Penny Black 'Soft Wings' stamps on offer. I counted 16 of you, so you had just under a one in five chance. I numbered the order in which you'd qualified and then ran the Random number generator, which came up with these three winners:

Well done girls, I'm sure I have all your addresses so will post the stamps this coming week!

I do so wish I had another dozen or so fluttering around here so that everyone could be a winner :( Having said that, I suspect I was pretty lucky to even get my hands on three of those stamps and they only arrived here on Friday - be still my thumping heart!

This coming week's prize is of course linked to my own snippets card:
It's a Clarity stamp called 'We 3 Kings - large', the same as the one I used today, along with a pot of Cosmic Shimmer 'Diamond Sprinkles'. The stamped image is 70mm x 78mm. If you've never used Clarity stamps before, this one comes already mounted onto its own perspex 'handle'. Also, although the image comes stained blue it's a good idea to clean the blue from the stamp using something like nail polish remover if you intend to use something like a clear Versamark embossing pad so that you don't stain the pad. As I know Maggie and others will agree, Clarity stamps do produce really crisp and clear images - I love them!

As usual, the snippets challenge will run for one week and the Playground gates will close at 11am UK time on Saturday 2nd August and will open again at midnight UK time on the same day.

Maximum of three entries and please say 'No thank you' in a comment if you wish to still play but not be the winner of the prize. And of course, if you're only interested in one or other of the items, then feel free to say so as well.

Mr Linky is below - please let me know if you have any problems linking, it's easy for me to sort out so don't struggle on alone :)

Have a great week!

Di (and a hot and sticky wave from Parsnip)
x

44 comments:

  1. Love your card, Di! The playground talent is over the top--great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great card and great picks as always, Di! And did my feet start tapping when I saw my name there for the sweet butterfly! Woo Hoo! Thank you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fanks ever so for the shout out Miss Pixie! I wasn't sure if what I was trying to do would work so happy peeps have liked it!
    Little Lucy has added a 'following' widget to her blog now so have followed her - she makes beautiful cards. Mind you everyone around here is super talented!
    Your Christmas card is gorgeous and I love my patchwork templates and have been playing with one of them today which will be shared next week. Have a lovely day Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Di - I was so excited to see my little card up there with your picks - Yay! That makes me so happy! Thank you! I enjoyed looking at all the other picks too! And I really like Lucy's attitude! Congrats to the lucky prize winners - enjoy your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab makes and selections

    Just uploaded my snippets make - the playground's remarkably quiet at this time of day you know!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up, love your card the black and white with the cosmic jewel is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is stunning. Love the black and white image and the beautiful silver dies.

    As always, fabulous talent in the playground. So many wonderful cards.
    Just stopping by with my first one this week.


    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very beautiful cards Di.
    I love them.
    Hugs Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Di!
    Yes it was my 1st visit into the playground! I've peeped through the gates a few times but was never sure if my cards qualified or not! But I hopped straight in seconds before the bell rang and gates closed! (I always was late for class at school!) hoping to come and play more often!
    Great card today! I love the colour! And all the over cards you've shown are so fab!
    Delighted to see mine up there :-) thank you ever so much for your kind words so touching!! I've also come across many people who've taken up Cardmaking due to health problems which is just fantastic that we can express our creativity and do duch a relaxing enjoyable craft!
    Gosh I've written a lot! Time to lie down! Will pop back real soon :-)
    Thanks again
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. SUPER festive make there Di - with a nice traditional image. Like the layout out too.

    TERRIFIC picks of the week.

    Congrats on Jules's win.

    I have a skive note for last week.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops - forgot to say CONGRATS to the winners of your butterfly prize.

    Well done girlies. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. "WOW" The talent from your chosen showcase Di is so beautiful well done all and what another gorgeous card you have created such a stunning image and the layout is perfect for your creation.....Many thanks for the win Di l'm overwhelmed and can't wait to try out the stamp oooh so pleased and many congrats to Jules and Shaz in oz l'll be back laters with this weeks challenge take care and have a great day the weather is gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab card Di and congrats to Jules ..my things came in the post so thank you very very much!!!!!! huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. These Wisemen look so elegant and the layer of sparkle over the top is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your silver & blue card is just stunning Di! I love all the stickers and holly sprigs!
    Congrats to all of the notables this week, which have really been an inspiration!! COngrats to Jules for the win too!
    No thanks to this weeks prize, I'm playing just for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow Di .. .. I am going to have such fun with my prize. Thank you so very much!

    My head is thinking over the possibilities as to how I can use it even as I write.

    I have never owned a LOTV art pad. It will be interesting to look at one (I lead a very sheltered life) Hope I don't become addicted to them. LOL!!

    Thanks again Di and to the playmates for their congratulations.

    Great show and tells from everyone as always.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello my lovely Di, such a bad blogger I've been lately, I've just not had the time to visit all my favourite blogs. I've just had a little wander round, I've missed so much! Today's lovely Christmas card, your top picks,you've certainly chosen some stunners,some real inspiring pieces! as always it's nice to pick up some catering ideas along the way! Hope life's treating you well, Julie.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much, Di, for including my card, but it was so simply done that I don't think it deserves to be among all the other wonderful designs. I love your snippets card - I have that stamp and find it so versatile, I love it. Don't forget that you could enter this for CHNC challenge extra for July. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanking you kindly Miss for picking me this week - I am in exalted and clever company with all those wonderful makes. Love the Christmas Card.. and I need a hug from Parsnip cos me team lost today and am feeling sad...........

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations to the winners. Lucky things!
    Gorgeous card there Miss. May I say Thank you but no to the stamp. As much as I like it...
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Miss Di & the lovely Parsnip.
    What a very superb snippets card.
    I love all your super work gone into this creation.
    Congrats to Jules on her win, and
    congrats to everyone for having their creations featured.
    It's not nice weather for Parsnip with all that fur to contend with.
    Perhaps I should send him some ice cream to to cool him down.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your card, Di! Congrats to everyone in the Playground spotlight, this week! WTG, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Di
    your card is devine
    like all others too
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Di well first of all... well done brilliantly on the ee three kings stampong and glittery image.. love it and peel offs are fab on it.. sometimes think we are a bit snobby in craft wprld with peel offs . But I think they have a place... well done also to all our playmates. . So beautifully created.. then scrolled down and joy delight.. woopee!! My name was there for one of those stunning butterflies..thanks so very very much Di..also thought of ypu today as did a happy dance my ultra yummy wonderful LOTV pad arrived. Wow they are nice. Pads of 8x 8" is much nicer than 6 x 6" aren't they? Have 3 of 6 x6" this is girst of larger ones and think they are only way to go. Unlike most I can't wait to use my paper. I love it but love using it too.
    Mm have rambled on thank you again Di for all you do to run this wonderful challenge.
    Hugs Shaz.xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Di,
    can't seem to link up my card

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oepsie I was to fast. It's done and it's there.
    I used a lot of snippets Di and I coloured them with distress ink and used them all over my card.
    Also the two orangy branches are made from snippets :)
    Lovely challenge lovely cards I've seen.
    Big hug lots of love from Veerle xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just whizzing by to say Hi!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the great variety of styles and images on your picks this week Di.
    Your glittery card is so pretty -- I was going to use it as inspiration, then got sidetracked, but I'll do a glittery panel one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Had to pop by for some of that lemonade! I love watching Barbara Gray of Clarity stamps, but for some reason I've never actually acquired one!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Di, sorry I'm so late in leaving a comment ... I've been soooo busy!!! Your card is lovely and a great interpretation of the theme 'on the move' - very clever. As ever, a great showcase and congrats to all the lovely winners too. Many thanks also to Parsnip, I really needed that lemonade after potting and pottering in the sun today :) :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Popping by with another card...it was 34 degrees here today and even higher temps are predicted till next week. Not sure how much crafting will get done this week...thank goodness for posts written ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stunning Christmas card Di, love the image and the elegance of the blue and silver, the design is great.

    Thank you ever so much for showcasing the card, I'm making a happy dance. The other picks are super and I'm sending warm congratulations to Jules.

    Hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  33. First, apologies if my card ends up linking twice. Following the prompts, after that last "okay," nothing happened. I didn't show up in the gallery. So I did it again and same thing. I'm sorry if it's a dup (will it even let you link twice?) or if it doesn't show at all, please let me know and I'll come back and try again.

    Your classic Christmas card is so pretty in the beautiful shades of blue with that wonderful embellishment, Di! I think making Christmas cards when it is scorching hot is brilliant! I may try doing that next myself as we have had several days of temps near or over 100 and the next five days look like more of the same. Exhausting! Thank you, and Parsnip, so much for the delicious refreshing lemonade!

    The spotlighted works of art are all extraordinary - great picks!! I'm playing just for fun! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  34. Okay, I see me there and only once, so all appears to be well! Phew. It's this crushing heat!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oops! Only entered this challenge for the first time today and already I've messed it up!! Can you delete my entry number 31 please. I've re-entered with my name the second time! Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anyone seen me tail? I was chasing it a moment ago!1
    Playing just for fun again Miss.
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks, Di, for removing my messed up entry. I'll try not to do it again!! After having a blog for two years, I've finally worked out how to add the 'followers' gadget to my blog - I think! At the moment I have zero followers, so if anyone would like to follow me it would make my day! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Di - did you make a Christmas card to cool off? Its lovely! You always show case such wonderful cards and projects. I enjoy looking at them. Uploaded some schtuff - will keep it at three....and please don't include me in your drawing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dropped by with my third card this week...inspired by you again!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Di, managed a second one! Still not sure about linking the photo, but chose 'pick one from site', and it seemed to work! I will spend more time experimenting...one day! Love Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oops forgot to link this one before, hope that's ok? Got my dear other half at home, and don't seem to get as much done as usual! feel free to tell me off! Lovin' the flower ribbon, and upcycled angel! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just posted my third card this week. I'm certainly reducing my snippets pile with this challenge! Managing to reduce the millions of brads I have in my stash too!! As much as I'd rather stay in the Playground all day, I really ought to flick a duster around the house. Fingers crossed there's a couple of ready meals in the freezer for when DH comes home from work! xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. You're Wise Men card looks fantastic in blue and silver. As for this weeks spotlight, gosh, I don't know how you chose from all of the fantastic creativity. Bravo, to the whole crafty lot!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Morning Di - I've just skipped through the gates before the bell AGAIN!!

    I love your sparkly Christmas card and the top picks are fabulous - thank you so much for highlighting mine :)

    Just playing for fun this week thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.