Wednesday 23 July 2014

New home

A bit like Sympathy cards, New Home ones (when folk let you know they're just about to move house) can catch you on the 'hop'. So this card is for my standby box:
I used:

- A6 white card blank

- image stamped using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink pad and a Stamposaurus Stamp called 'Town House - small' (bought at Newbury the other week). The image was coloured with Pro Markers and then die cut using a 'Stitched Rectangle' die by Lil'inkers

- plain brown card for the main backing layer as well as a 'frame' for the image, also die cut using a 'Stitched Rectangles' die

- the plaid backing paper is by LOTV from their 'Country Gent' paper pad

- sentiment is an Elzybells one, stamped using Brilliance 'Pearlescent Thyme' ink pad and layered onto a rectangle of brown card

- finishing touch - white Josy Rose nail heads

I've been asked about the Lil'inkers dies - made in the USA. Unfortunately they don't export the stitched squares or rectangles to the UK (as yet and I suspect it's unlikely they will do so in the future) but there is one UK stockist who does have some of their other goodies including stitched hearts, ovals and other shapes . They also have some Winnie and Walter stamps, yay!. The stockist is 'Make The Day Special'  . Do be aware though that they're often out of stock of stuff but certainly worth a first try if you're not in a hurry for something.

So, I ordered my Stitched Rectangles dies from the USA directly from Lil'inkers. In fairness the girls were very good and reduced the postage to $10 when they realised I was only ordering one item - I'd done that so as not to be stung for import duty. Hey, ho though - the customs declaration included the postage (ie. the full invoice amount I'd paid) and I DID get stung for customs duty. What was double annoying was that Royal Mail charge £8 to process the flipping charge!

So, if you UK gals do order from Lil'inkers can I suggest that you add a little note to the effect that they really shouldn't include the postage in the value of the parcel. That's what took my order over the top, sigh. And that, girls, is why I'm using the dies as much - need to get my money's worth outta them!

Di
x

17 comments:

  1. Awesome card Di, sorry not been around much but spending a lot of time with my dad in the home.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow how mean is the UK Di!! we can spend over $300 before the sting hits... cant believe they do that to you... oh and thought of you the other night .. was super excited cos ordered on of the LOTV pads as they were on special and so lashed out big time and bought one.
    And was like kid in lolly shop just thinking of it :D .. and so will put it on my desk when gets here.. not a pink one though was tempted.. went for the mauve and soft green one... being a purple lover.
    Must go and link over snippety card, Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS do lvoe the house moving card and am amazed at how organised you are too in having a stand by one! love the stitching dies too! Shaz.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love tis sweet card. This is a very popular size over here...In fact, most of my friends here only make this size!
    Your stamp is great and the stitched die is wonderful. I will just have to come and visit with me...you and Len of course!
    We would take you shopping to America and you could buy allthe stitched designs! We do not rent our suit in the summer months and just keep it available to our friends and family! Gives you some privacy and a feeling like we are not in your face every moment...but of course the "dining room" is always open upstairs! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great little new home card - shame about the customs duty and extra charge from Post Office - they catch you all ways don't they!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Di, I love the card but can you make mine a bungalow?.......soon I hope! :-) :-)
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Di, what a story about the die. I have somawhat the same problem I absolutely adore the stamps from Inkylicious but they refuse to ship abroad not to a private person and not to a company who wants to sell theire products. No I am quit lucky since I have friends in Cornwall, so I placed my order let it send to them, another mutual friend who lives also here in Belgium is going to visit them saturday and will bring my parcel back home. So I understand you want to use your die as much as possible.
    I love your card, love the browns.
    Vis again thank you so much for your support and sweet words of comfort, thanks for being my new friend and follower. Much appreciated.
    Big hug, lots of love Veerle xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super New Home card that is Di. Perfick.

    Shame about the blinking duty charge etc. Similar thing happened to DH recently. He was FUMING!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Di,

    Hmm, postage has gotten crazy. Is the die the paper with what looks like stitching around it? I don't know if it'd be cheaper for you to order things and sent to my home then I got to the post office to mail to you?

    Yes! I remember the bear with the injured paw (now that you mention it) and Val Kilmer coming around to see the excitement. If you and Len would like a place in Santa Fe I hear his ranch is up for sale!

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Di I know just how you feel! I ordered the stitched circles and got them OK. So then I ordered the rectangles and squares and got stung for duty and PO charge and had to go and collect them! But so far anything I've ordered from Simon Says Stamp has come in no problem but I haven't placed huge orders. Love the card too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card Di:) thanks for the email and the explanation on here too :) I haven't ordered any yet lol but I love them..lots of huggles Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love you're pretty house! And don't you know someone new in your neighborhood would love to get this and feel so welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty little house Di, very clever to have some cards if you suddenly need them, whenever I need to make a fast card my head goes blank.
    Oh, dear, those extra costs aren't to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card there Miss. You just reminded me that I need to make some of these, hopefully for a mutual friend!
    I have stopped ordering stuff from US cos of being stung.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Di, love the card - and the stitched rectangle die-cuts. It's a shame they are not available over here but I won't be ordering them from the US either. I've been stung for import duty and Royal Mail's so-called admin charge, just how time-consuming can it be to drop a note through my door, and, adding insult to injury, I had to collect the package myself ... it's all too off-putting. My, but that feels better ... it's good to vent :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. L'il Inkers might be made in the US of A but darned if I can find the ones I want anywhere. Last I checked they were sold at at their website too. Someday stitched dies will be mine! Bawhahaha! Sorry to hear about the customs woes. No fun that to have to pay even more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, the house is terrific and the warmth of the card really says it all with your wonderful sentiment. Love how you used the stitched die cut too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.