Friday 23 March 2018

An Easter wreath - 'Circle of Spring'

I seem to be really into making cards with wreath shaped stamps or just creating my own wreath shapes right now! I think it's probably the symmetry that lures me in :)

A good while back I bought the NBUS Stampin' Up 'Circle of Spring' stamp set - mostly with Easter cards in mind. And, already had the Stampin' Up 'Wondrous Wreath' Christmas layering stamp set plus the matching dies - so those dies would also work with the 'Circle of Spring' set.

However, I had serious doubts once the 'Circle of Spring' image was stamped and coloured. Sure the dies fitted fine (I already had some previously cut templates to try against the image), but something just wasn't right IMHO. Off I hopped around Pinterest to look for other cards for comparison and the Spring image is just too delicate and pretty to spoil by die cutting it - the die cut versions look a bit clumsy compared to those left to their own devices. Again, this is just my opinion - but I think those dies are best kept just for the 'Wondrous Wreath', which is altogether bolder and can take it better.

Anyhow, this is the card I came up with:
I used:

- 4" x 4" square white card blank

- white card onto which I stamped the Stampin' Up 'Circle of Spring' wreath and also, into a small snippet of the same white card, 'Happy Easter' from the same set. Used Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and of course the Misti

- chose SU's 'Wisteria Wonder' mauve coloured card for the backing so used that as a guide when picking the colours from my Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils to colour the image

- once the image was coloured (I didn't use Sansodor blending fluid for such little bits of colour - I find it's only really necessary on bigger areas of colouring) I then die cut it using a die from The Works 'Stitched Squares' set

- layered the image panel onto a slightly larger square of SU's 'Wisteria Wonder' card

- had fun finding the right die to cut out the sentiment into the right sized circle and was almost on the point of giving up the search when I came across (hidden in the back of one of the folders I keep dies in) a lovely set of dies by Just Right called 'Four in a Square'. It comes with four circular dies included - absolutely perfect size and also with a stitched line running around them, success!!

- die cut the sentiment and popped it onto the centre of the card using thin sticky pads

Really enjoying colouring using pencils these days - takes me back to my childhood!





27 comments:

  1. Beautifully colored & wonderful card, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made so well to leave the wreath uncut, in my opinion! It's very delicate and sweet and works well as it is! Love the stitched centre topper with the sentiment, perfect choice to match the frame! Adorable colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful card Di. I agree that this delicate wreath looks lovely uncut, the colours are so pretty for Easter too.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful card Di - and that floral wreath is so delicate.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful card Di, Such lovely spring colours and I agree re colouring...so therapeutic. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your spring wreath very much! Lovely and bright colours.
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and my first thought when I saw it on my feed were how pretty the colours are. I must try and use my pencils more too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very pretty Easter card.

    I think it takes us all back to childhood when we colour-in with pens and pencils and that's why we love it so much! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful Easter card Di, I love it.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a delightful card, Di, very springlike in colour and design too

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous, gorgeous colours, just right for Easter. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful wreath Di and love the soft and pretty spring colours you have used and the stitched square and circle dies you have used tie the whole thing together perfectly. A delightful Easter card. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So soft and pretty, Di. Lovely colouring and the fresh spring colours are perfect for an Easter card.
    Have a wonderful day! Trina xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so lovely and spring like. Soft colors and I like the sentiment in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty card, Di. So soothing and soft colors really do make me think of Spring. Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very, very pretty and so springlike. Your instinct was right, this is perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb and most spring like. Well I think that was most mean of Parsnip to swig the soup and eat the sandwiches. Norm was not impressed. He got frostbite digging his way out. Hugs Me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty and delicate! A lovely stamp and your colouring is fabulous. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty card, lovely delicate wreath, beautifully coloured in, and well done finding the right die, you do love a challenge ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely spring wreath and such a pretty card xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a sweet Easter card Di! So very soft and delicate, and the colors so pretty for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a pretty Spring card. You know I love wreaths and always have one on the porch somewhere for the change of seasons.
    The colours here are soft and pretty and I too like this wreath minus the diecut!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love wreaths! This is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a great spring wreath image which you have brilliantly colored with your pencils, Di! I can see where it would lose some of its finesse if it were die-cut, good call!! Hugs, Darnell xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely. The image is pretty and I really like how the die-cut sentiment (or should I say stamped one :) pops out and gives this cas creation so much more depth.

    Hugs,
    Eemeli

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.