Friday 28 April 2017

Should have gone to Specs***rs

Just recently, I got a couple of pairs of new specs from a well known UK chain of opticians shops. One pair is 'recreational' as they now call it, which is close work combined with computer distance varifocals. Plus my first ever pair for distance/driving, with the bottom part tuned into being able to focus on the important things on the dashboard, like the speedometer for instance.

When I got home, was about to pop the cream paper carrier bag they came in straight into recycling - until I had a look at the pattern on the bag. It was rows and rows of black outline spectacles - not unlike the whole sea of spectacle frames you get when you walk into one of their stores.

Then, an idea popped straight into my head for a card. I wonder how many of you will groan at the link I forged using pieces cut from the bag and the (admittedly purposely bought) sentiment?

Take a 'peep' at this - snigger:
I used:

- 5" x 5" square light cream card blank (picked to match the specs bag!)

- backing layers of black and SU's 'Real Red' card stock - glued in place using Collall All Purpose glue

- then a layer of the same light cream card stock, trimmed down and put to one side whilst I worked on the 'toppers'. I say topperS as the bag had a repetitive 'spectacles' pattern on it and I managed to make three cards all the same on this run and still have a further five trimmed down panels (approx. 1.5" x 2.4" in size) left to play with. Am keeping those on the desk here in a little container, for a day when inspiration eludes me and I just want to cut, stamp and stick :)

- for the 'toppers' I had to get the best I could out of the dinky carrier bag and worked out that four pairs of specs on top of one another would work - there were a few combinations to play with. So, I trimmed three panels of specs the same for this little run of cards

- backed those panels with snippets of SU's 'Real Red' card stock as frames

- played around with the sentiment and the topper on the Misti to see where I wanted it to be stamped

- stamped the sentiment(s) using a sweet little cling stamp by Stampendous called 'Favorite Peeps' and Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink (I confess again to finding this on line after I realised none of my sentiment stamps were really right - super fast delivery from The Stampman as well!)

- added the cream panel to the card front(s) then glued the specs layer in place 

- final touch, a pair of googly eyes added with Collall All Purpose glue - only on one pair though, let's not go for overkill!

However, I certainly don't suggest it's worth spending a whole load of pennies, just to get your hands on a sweet little carrier bag to chop up :)





29 comments:

  1. Superb card. I should certainly have gone to them as just ordered new glasses from a not so well known opticians and they won't come in a little spectacle bag either. I've been done!!!!! Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Very cool :)
    Also thanks a bunch for your kind words Di, my mums alright now. I feel v grateful for my lovely blog friends :)
    Hugs
    preeti

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful way of using the bag, it looks as if it was paper specially designed for crafting!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big thumbs up from me for repurposing that bag, Di.
    Us crafters have to save the planet/our pennies any way we can! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant Di...and really made me LOL! Great upcycling. Enjoy your new specs...I like the sound of the driving pair....must check that out. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Di, a truly spec-tacular card (sorry I couldn't help myself) and the perfect way to upcycle a bag, I wonder if their Aussie stores have the same... I do need an eye test... have a wonderful weekend... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great piece of upcycling to use these images Di and love the fun googly eyes and clever sentiment. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I REALLY like this card, love a card with humour too so this checks all the boxes!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hee hee . . . very novel! You know me, I love as good pun.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, this is definitely not a sight for sore eyes. It's fab!
    Hugs,
    Em xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great way to up cycle. The eyeglass store would like to "see" this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would send this to Spec****** head office, the design would be brilliant for sending out their reminder cards, make sure you copyright it first though. Great Card !

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a fabulous idea Di! Genius idea, really made me chuckle and will make me check out what bag we get at Vision Express next time lol! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah!! Such a very creative card!! You are a so clever lady!! Love the fun look of the glasses and that one with the googling eyes!! :D Great recycling!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant card - must be a good quality bag as it doesn't look like a bag cut up. You could have used " You are spec tacular" Not mine but saw it the day and put away for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant idea, your re-cycled image is fabulous, quite right only putting one set of eyes. Bet your optician would love this.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this, and the googly eyes makes the fun sentiment complete - but I'm certainly not buying any new specs this year. Last year it cost me hundreds of pounds for my 'blind as a bat' lenses and varifocals!!! AND I still put my mat and layers on crooked. :-) Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a brilliant idea for upcycling. Fabulous card, Di! The sentiment is just perfect too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE your imagination, Di! This works so perfectly with your sentiment! Fun card! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha ha, I just love the googles you added! Clever card.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant card Di. Clever you for upcycling so well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL I wish it was only pennies for new specs, I need new lenses and know they're gonna be £££££££££££'s! Fab card Di, very clever to use your little bag like that Di!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is soooo clever and so cool! Such a fabulous idea - I am so impressed! Hugs xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant card, Di. A very clever bit of recycling too. And the sentiment is just perfect. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    PS: Last time I went to Specs****s I needed a mortgage to pay the bill :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE IT, Di, aint it grand when a light bulb moment comes off like this...and great tie in with sediment as Darnell would say.. but cheapskate me would have made a digi out of it ... however crafty places are hens teeth like here.. hugs from a lovely autumnal downunder.
    Shaz.x PS posting soon some snippets for DT post.. you'll soon be 777,777!! wowsers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.