Tuesday 25 April 2017

Hug in a Mug - times six

Needing to catch up with the Christmas card monthly target/total, I played with a NBUS set of MFT dies and stamps - did a batch bake and came up with six quite similar cards:
Just to prove there are six in total :)
I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blanks, tent style

- then cut blue pearlescent card for a layer on the front  of the cards - three in baby blue and three in dark blue and set them to one side, not added to the cards as yet

- die cut six three mugs, again baby blue and dark blue, using a couple of mug dies from the MFT 'Hug in a Mug' set

- added the surface of the chocolate to the mug using dark beige  snippets and a die from the MFT 'Hug in a Mug' set

- furtled around in the snippets folder and backed some teeny contrasting snippets with Stick-It adhesive sheet

- then die cut little motifs to go onto the front of the mugs. Stitched red heart - MFT's 'Hug in a Mug'. Stocking, snowflake and mittens - Creative Expressions 'Christmas Shadow Box'. Holly leaves and berry - Poppy Stamps 'Stitched Holly Leaves and Berries'. Tree - Impression Obsession 'Evergreen Trees'

- popped the motifs onto the mugs and ran them through the Cuttlebug to press firmly in place (my new found trick!)

- then decided to add whirls of whipped cream on top of the hot chocolate, which almost hides the chocolate but there is a teeny smidgen showing so that step hadn't been pointless after all (die from the MFT set), and tickled the cream with clear Wink of Stella

- die cut circles from Neenah 'Desert Storm' card stock (the best kraft card around I think) with a Tonic Studios circle die

- glued the mugs in place on the circles

- the sentiment comes from a co-ordinating MFT set of stamps called 'Hot Cocoa Cups', stamped onto white card using the Misti and Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink

- then die cut the sentiments using a die from the MFT 'Stitched Fishtail Flag STAX' set and chopped the straight end to fit on the card, using a guillotine

- glued the sentiments onto the blue card front panels and only then glued the panels onto the card blanks

- finally glued the circles onto the card front, above the sentiment

Six more for the box, but I must confess that not all of the cards in that box have inserts in ...... yet. A rainy day job before it gets too out of hand I think!

This is the first time I've used a 'Happy Holiday' sentiment on a card, ever. In the UK we tend to stick to Christmas and/or 'Seasonal' Greetings - so I was a little out of 'ye olde comfort zone'. The warmest wishes bit did it for me - and I think these will be winging their way to dear friends across the pond come Christmas.

I'd like to enter this card (my favourite of the bunch) into two challenges that I love:

Rudolph Days for April, over at ScrappyMo's - anything goes (open until the end of April)

Merry Monday - use kraft card stock (Neenah 'Desert Storm' in my case). This is a pure fluke as I'd already just finished making these cards and was typing this when the Merry Monday challenge popped up! 

Now all that remains is to put all those fiddly little dies back into their storage - without losing any in the process!





29 comments:

  1. Nothing like a cuppa coffe x 6 love it.xxThanks for taking time to comment while I was away on my scheduled posts. Greatly appreciated.
    [aNNie]

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have certainly been busy here - a great result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm hot chocolate to warm the cockles, what a great idea, and love all the little motifs, had to zoom in to see the choc, but the cream looks so yummy I want to dip my finger in! Happy Rudolph day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these cards, Di, can't beat a mug of hot chocolate on a cold December evening. The little motifs are a perfect finishing touch.

    Visiting your blog today with my Rudolph Days Guest Designer hat on. Thanks for joining in the challenge this month - Good Luck! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done - your batch bake has added more lovely cards to your seasonal pile

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic collection of fun cards Di, I can just imagine a lovely cup of Hot Chocolate right now.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute mugs!! Love these cards, you have had a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute cards Di and nothing like a good mug of tea to send with a warm wish. I managed a 'six pack' this month too. It helps the collection along though I am way behind my schedule. I love the little embellishment on each mug that makes them individual.Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at those cute mugs!! The kraft die cut is like a coaster for it, so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your happy furtling about in the snippets folder has enabled you to come up with these brilliant Rudolph Day cards Di. They really are lovely cards and must've taken a lot of die cutting . . . congrats on making so many.

    Happy Rudolph Day mate.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Now I want to rush upstairs and make a mug of Hot Chocolate...

    These are so sweet. I love the mugs with their inter-changeable embellishments. Of course they needed whipping cream...how could they not!

    Thanks for taking part in the April Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely set of cards, Di. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous cards Di. I've been to York today and got caught in a blizzard, one of these cups would have been perfect, I definitely needed hot chocolate! Crafty hugs, Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are brilliant Di l love the mugs and each and everyone different too! great way to increase your numbers l must follow in your footsteps for speedy cards take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cards Di and a super six pack, love all the different images on the mugs, while all the same, they are all different.
    To be honest I have lost count now, but I have a feeling that I have already made more than I need as I have about 12 left over from last years. I also had a purge on using the art pad and paper pad you sent me, these are yet to come.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. A super set of cards Di, great use of the dies and snippets too. Lovely mugs of hot chocolate are a great way to send Christmas good wishes.
    Jean x
    p.s. I hope to make it back to the playground soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think these mugs and very apt sentiments make great Christmas cards Di and if only I were allowed I would be out in the kitchen getting one right now, especially as it is so cold here at the moment. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. A really cool set of gorgeous Christmas cards, or should I say hot! I am behind with my cardmaking as usual! Need to make my Rudolph Days card and my snippets card - hopefully tomorrow! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet set of cards, Di - just love the kraft circle behind your colorful cups!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh, these are really cute with the mugs being different in design and color! I love that pile of whipped cream! So yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aren't these just the cutest! Love all the different designs you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A fab set of cards, I did laugh at the cream/hot chocolate thing, totally what I would do! Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely set of cards, cosy night on the sofa with a lovely cup of hot chocolate comes to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, so lovely, I love your mugs!
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant set of cards, Di. The little mug is fabulous and I do like the sentiment. There's a lot of non-religious folk among my friends and family who, I think, would prefer being wished a happy holiday. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. That mug is so cute--great set of cards, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like keeping things cas when making Christmas cards. These are sooooooo lovely and definitely to my taste -- that mug is very cute and I really like the sentiment/s.

    Hugs,
    Eemeli

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oooh I do love the shape of that cup and frothy cream!! Thank you so much for joining us at the Rudolph Days Challenge!
    Rudolph Days Challenge DT
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.