Friday 18 December 2015

A repeat of a previous Friday Feast - Ham in Coca-Cola

This is a recipe I published here almost four years ago. At the time it seemed such a simple thing to be able to cook this - right now it's a bit like a big mountain to climb - but if at all possible I WILL be cooking this over the festivities!

In this recipe 'the flavour of of the sweet, spiky drink infuses the ham with spirit of barbecue without being in any way overpowering' - and it also tenderises the ham amazingly well. Just think about cleaning pennies in a glass of the stuff!

I confess that, the first time I cooked this, I did so wondering if I was about to ruin a perfectly decent ham - but I think that Nigella Lawson (who incidentally now drives me crazy four years down the line - she's so affected and OTT it's untrue!) did come up trumps and I've used this way of cooking ham ever since!


I was speaking to Len's sister-in-law yesterday afternoon and conversation got round to Nigella. That gal (SIL) has the perfect solution - she apparently watches Nigella's cookery programmes with the sound muted and the sub-titles across the bottom of the screen - nice one Maureen! Anyhow, here's the recipe folks - and I do know that some of you already saw this four years ago:

Ham in Coca-Cola 
Not a 'food magazine quality' photo! Normally I did try to set a nicer scene but there was a lot going on when I carved this - you'll see the outside of the ham and the goldy brown imparted by the Coca-Cola on the back half of the plate where I've turned the ham cut face down to prevent it from drying out.

2kg mild-cure gammon
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
2-litre bottle of Coca-Cola - it must be normal and NOT Diet Coca-Cola

Mild-cure gammon doesn't need soaking, but if you know that you're dealing with a salty piece, then put it in a pan covered with cold water, bring to the boil, then tip into a colander in the sink and start from here; otherwise, put the gammon in a pan, skin-side down if it fits like that, add the onion, then pour over the Coke. I use a large stainless steel stockpot for this.

Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, though not tightly, and cook for approximately 2½ hours. If your joint is larger or smaller, work out timing by reckoning on an hour per kilo. But do take into account that if the gammon's been in the fridge right up to the moment you cook it, you will have to give it a good 15 minutes or so extra so that the inside is properly cooked.

I don't go to the time and trouble of glazing the ham (it never lasts long enough here), neither does Nigella most of the time. There are lots of different ways to do this of course, but this ham stands proudly on its own without any more fiddling around.

Just remember that it MUST be the non-diet Coca-Cola. And, you will use all of a 2 litre bottle for a 2kg piece of ham. Not even enough will be left to pour yourself a nice vodka and coke :)

I'm hoping to be able to get to Sainsbury's to choose a ham joint (don't trust on line shopping THAT much!) and pick  up a 2 litre bottle of Coca Cola some time over the festivities. A little goal to aim for :) If I don't manage then I hope you'll think about trying this for yourselves anyhow! :)

Enjoy!


Di
x

17 comments:

  1. Never heard of cooking in coke before, but will definitely give this recipe a try. I'll get a slightly smaller joint though, so there's a little coke left to put in my Malibu. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuum, this sounds delicious Di . . . must give it a try sometime! Thanks for the recipe! Hazel xx
    My Card Attic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen that Nigelle recipe and never quite dared do it in case I ruined my ham :o(
    I might have to give it a go now!

    Anne x
    http://learningtojive.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really try this Anne - it's awesome !!! :-D xxx

      Delete
    2. Use the full sugar Cola though NOT the diet stuff !!!! :-)

      Delete
  4. I saw this 4 years ago too Di.....yours looked delicious. I think that cooking a ham is a great challenge for you to set yourself..little goals...keep going. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this too many years ago and started doing this. Can't get hams here in Greece though so can't do it any more :-(

    Hugz
    IKE xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this recipe before but have never tried it so perhaps I will now I know how good it is Di. Just to let you know I received my playground prize yesterday, how quick was that! Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried it but might have to now! Praying for healing for you and sending love and hugs,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks gorgous Di. Hubby is the cook in our house so things have to be done his way. We bought our gammon the other week and put it in the freezer. Just need hubby to go into town (on the bus) next week to pick up a fresh turkey from M+S... as well as some new lights for the tree. Hmm funny how Mrs A's elf has lights on his tree on the very same day as ours died. I think Brenda may be bringing him along to the Playground this weekend so better watch out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhh noooooooooooo! Time to batten down the hatches against a marauding elf I guess - help :(

      Wise hubby using the bus for town - it'll be manic I expect next week. Len plans to walk to Sainsbury's if we truly need anything!

      xx

      Delete
  9. This looks just yummy. Would never think of pouring coca cola over ham, but might give this a try. Merry Christmas, and thank you for the so lovely card. It's shared on the blog, and super job of the inlay. Reading a few posts to see what you've done to yourself now! Whatever, I hope it heals up very quickly. Gentle Hugs! For all of you

    ReplyDelete
  10. my mouth is watering - have to try this! Gammon - not sure if they have this here in the US. Have to ask my butcher....is it the same as ham?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cornelia! Yes, uncooked ham and ham are basically the same thing. In the UK we often call uncooked ham gammon. I believe this recipe originates in the Deep South of the USA :-)

      xx

      Delete
  11. I did see this 4 years ago, but didn't ever try the recipe. Glad you posted it again & plan to give it a go this year. Hope you're able to, also!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy. If you are throwing yourself into the Coca Cola cooking pot, Nigella's Coca Cola cake is seriously wonderful too! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.