Friday 31 October 2014

Ten minute card

Whilst rootling through the box of last year's 'received' Christmas cards, kept to upcycle, I came across one card front with a beautifully made sentiment topper that's been longing for a little makeover. This was the end result of literally ten minutes work:
The trickiest part was removing the sentiment topper from the plain gold card front. Little tip, in order to avoid bending or creasing the topper (which was on a large sticky pad), I placed the card face down on my cutting mat and then gently prised the card away from the topper. That way, the card front which I was discarding could be bent whilst the sentiment topper was held down flat. I learned that trick a while back, the hard way :)

I used:

- 6" x 6" square cream card blank

- a trimmed slightly smaller gold 'flittered' backing sheet from First Edition's 6" x 6" paper pad called 'Gilded Winter'. I love this pad (bought from Hobbycraft recently) as it's 64 sheets, with a lovely mix of papers, some foiled, some glittered, some double sided and some sort of glazed

- the sentiment I already wrote about - I left the existing large sticky pad on the back and just added some narrow strips the same depth on all four sides. Also moved the teeny bow as it was at a bit of an angle and not centred properly, just by a gnat's whisker and re-stuck it using Glossy Accents

Job done, super fast as already said.

Di
x

24 comments:

  1. I never could have imagined this was a recycled card! It's absolutely gorgeous and I love that it only took minimal time to put together! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a really good idea of yours Miss. I have ruined many doing just that!! This is one gorgeous card. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Di, lovely card and more to add to your number well done!!
    I just posted whole lot of Christmas cards and went to go to Sarn's and gates shut early this month .. one time when I happen to remember too not to worry..
    I will add them to the snippets as used them as always, Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect recycling! Very pretty results.

    Happy Friday

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea Di and this topper goes beautifully with the background. Thanks for the tip for removing from the old card. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bit of recycling there Miss. I learnt that trick the hard way!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Di,

    Just fabulous. I would never have guessed any part was recycled. I love the backing paper.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card, and thanks for the tip! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card Di, and a fab recycling job too. The sentiment topper was well worth saving and that tip is definitely one to keep in mind. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great up cycled card, I would never have guessed that topper was taken off another card

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely upcycled card!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is fabulous and so green too! I think you will already know this, but just in case, trying heating the reverse with your heat gun for a few minutes. It sometimes helps the glue to soften and releases from the card much easier Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Di,
    what fab creation today, and very lovely way to upcycle.
    Thank you so much for the tip too.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Di! I love this card! You always make the best recycled Christmas cards!! Thank you for that great tip, too, BTW!! I feel like I've been gone forever and I'm sorry for whatever I've missed these last couple of weeks! I hope all is well with you and the Playground!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful elegant card, the topper is ls lovely and such a nice shape, well worth reusing. I love the background paper it looks fabulous.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like that First Edition paper was made just for this topper, goes so very well, great card Di.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really lovely Di and thanks for the tip!!! huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my word Di, this is a gorgeous card!!! You sure can recycle your cards well. It would look like I was trying to up-cycle my cards if I was trying to do this. But I think I am going to give it a try on cards that I truly love a lot. lol Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful card Di!

    Warm hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  20. Di your card is beautiful and what a great tip too! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous card. I seem to always have a hard time removing pieces from other cards without bending. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is Beautiful Di, what a lovely card created by recycling.
    Hugs Mau xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.