Sunday 31 August 2014

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 140

And it's September tomorrow - here's hoping for an Indian Summer before the leaves start to fall.

My snippets card is sort of 'countrified simple' this week - mostly due to lack of time crafting and blogging:

I used:

- 6" x 6" square cream card stock

- cream snippets from the snippets folder

- a JustRite Cling 'Burlap Background' stamp, which I love! I stamped a whole background, which comes complete with the frayed edges, onto a snippet of cream card using Versafine 'Vintage Sepia' ink then trimmed it and just glued it onto the card blank

- the flowers were made by stamping onto more cream snippets using the burlap stamp and Memento 'Rhubarb Stalk' plus SU 'Old Olive' ink pads

- the stamped snippets were die cut (then shaped too) using  a Time Holtz 'Tattered Florals' die (which I also used to make leaves by just splitting some of the petals)

- final touch to the flower was a snippet of the green burlap stamped card, punched with SU's Itty Bitty round stamp and then shaped into a dome (also known as 'Sarn candi!)

- the SU 'Wonderful Words' sentiment was stamped using SU's 'Old Olive'

Just to point out, given more time I'd have played with different coloured background card to stamp the 'burlap' onto - I bet there are loads of other ways to play. And I'd have spent more time making sure the stamp was correctly pressed down all over - but it sort of adds to the faded charm :) The stamp is BIG, it's 4.5" x 5.75" and it's a cling stamp, therefore unmounted of course. I might have an acrylic block big enough tucked away but for speed I used the thickest plate from my Cuttlebug.

Straight into this week's picks now:

I mostly post the weekly picks in numerical order, as I make a list as the week goes by. This card, made by Lesley G, was right up there as an early pick and for me it's the top pick of the week too! Lesley gets very excited when her cards are picked so I hope she's sitting down right now :) What I absolutely love about this card is how the guitar was made using SU's owl punch for the body, sound hole and also the tuning pegs - and the design of the card is great too. This is one that a few of us might be CASE-ing for sure! Stop squealing Lesley!! :)

Anne made this great card - I love the impact plus the clever sentiment! It reminded me of when Len shaved his moustache off as it was showing some grey flecks. I'd never seen him without one and he did one half first then popped his head out of the bathroom to let me see. I shouted 'Put it back, I prefer you with a moustache!', Not very helpful was I :(

I picked this card made by Pat because of the fabulous image and colouring. Even the ribbon is a snippet from a top (you know, the narrow ribbon to hold clothes on hangers) - but it's the amazing colouring that really, really got me!

You really must check out how Elizabeth made these wonderful petals and leaves on her snippets card - such a clever idea. See if you can guess and then go and take a peek for yourself!

I love this darling set of card with matching bag - made by Jenny L! Absolutely gorgeous poinsettias and a great way to use up snippets.

This card was made by Bonnie for Merry Monday's challenge. Those of you who don't know, Bonnie is on their DT and chose the theme of Christmas wreath - would you just look at how delicate that wreath is, and beautifully coloured too. I also just realised that the 'Holly Vine' die isn't in a wreath shape when you cut it - that was some careful placement Bonnie!

Thoughts here are turning to school and the Autumn term - some countries kiddies have already returned and some will return after the UK (Germany is around 18th September where our little grand daughters live). Veerle made this lovely House Mouse card to celebrate 'Back to School'. Oh dear, I just noticed one of the book titles in the middle of the pile 'Public Squeaking' - tee, hee :)

Here's something with a difference - our Sam hopped in with a 'brush roll' she'd sewn using up snippets. Brilliant! And of course, snippets can be fabric, lace, ribbon, card, paper etc. etc.

I absolutely had to show you this lovely card, made by Mary H - what fabulous colouring!

This is a great card, made by Sandy J - somehow apple pie and red gingham are such perfect partners. Plus, here's a clever tip from Sandy, you know those peel off or domed letters that always seem to have oddments left? I've got some on my desk right now and they both have the letters U and Y left over - find an M (there's usually more of those) and you've got YUM! :)

And finally, as we're heading towards Autumn I thought this card, made by Sue J, was a perfect way to finish this week's picks! Sue has a link to the digital images website where little Scarecrow Willie' came from  - I know I've bookmarked it!

And we have two new playmates this week:
Rebecca V came to play, encouraged by our Liz (Cavill) and brought this lovely bunting card. A great way to use up snippets! Rebecca hasn't been blogging for more than a month or so and it would be lovely if some of you could hop over to say hello. I predict that we'll be seeing some beautiful cards and that Rebecca will quickly go from strength to strength - take a look at this for example:
That's a first I think for me - can't recall ever showing two cards from a playmate's very first visit but if this card above wouldn't be a winning contender for a CAS or LIM card then I'll eat my sun hat!

And here's our second new playmate's entry:

Another card perfect for 'Back to School' - and I love the paperclips! Elly is the name of our new friend, she hails from the Netherlands and if you hop over I've spotted some great idea for bags and packaging over at Elly's blog! Do remember girls, when a blog is written in other than English you can usually find a translate button either at the top of the blog or in the sidebar. Google translate isn't brilliant but it's a huge help if you're a sticky beak like me and want to find out just how things have been made!

A huge welcome to both of you - please come and play with us often - we're almost at the time for baked potatoes in the bonfire :) Parsnip is hiding this year - he hasn't forgotten attempts to tie a rocket to his back and launch him into space last Guy Fawkes night!

Time now for the draw for the winner of last week's prize, the double pack of Christmas embossing folders and the 'Leaping Deer' die. And the winner is:
Congratulations Elizabeth! I have your address and will pop the package in the post this week :) It's over a year since Elizabeth won a prize, mostly due to opting out of the draw quite often I suspect. But this time I only had to run Mr Random once - Elizabeth popped out straight away and hadn't opted out, yay! :)

And this coming week's prize is, of course:

A JustRite 'Burlap Background' stamp of your very own :)

As usual, the Snippets Challenge will run for one week and the Playground gates will close at 11am UK time on Saturday 6th September and will open again at midnight UK time on the same day.

Maximum of three entries and please say 'No thank you' in a comment if you wish to still play but not be the winner of the prize.

Mr Linky is below - please let me know if you have any problems linking, it's easy for me to sort out so don't struggle on alone :)

Some of you will have noticed that recently it sometimes takes me a while to comment on your lovely snippets entries. I'm trying to balance things a bit more here (running the home versus sitting in the 'woman-cave' for too long) - but will get to you I promise! 


Have a great week! And remember, there's a sticky post at the top of my blog - a free draw for a Joanna Sheen gift voucher. You just need to comment to be in with a chance!
 
Di (and the usual happy wave from Parsnip of course)
x

50 comments:

  1. What great use of that burlap stamp Di, a really clever idea. Thank you for the shout out, I'm glad you liked my pair of pears, and what good company with all those other beauties. I won't have time to play for the next two or three weeks but hopefully will be able to keep a distant eye on things to make sure that no-one is misbehaving in the playground! Thanks again for showing my card. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Elizabeth!
    Some great pivks to showcase here, Di.
    There are always so many beautiful cards here...
    Will be backlater tonight with a card to post. Kust have a minute to peek at the showcase while the famly is up at the Ice Cream Social...they set off excitedly talking about Sea Salt Caramel icecream! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card Di, love the look of the bg stamp. Congrats to all and thanks for the wonderful inspiration. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that burlap stamp is impressive, I thought that was real material on your lovely country card.
    Linby x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That burlap stamp is too cool. I like the uneveness of it...that is the beauty of the burlap!

    Finally got back to coment on it properly. They a;ll arrived home licking their lips...in fact the 2 littles were still snacking on their cones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a feast of fabulous makes today! Love the "tashe" card and your great batch

    Just uploaded my entry for your challenge

    Happy Sunday

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great selection of picks this week and just love that burlap stamp and the card you've made with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card, clever stamp! I did the same to And when he shaved his tache off! :-)
    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the use of the burlap on your snippet card, Di - beautiful result. And such inspiration from our playmates. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great project as always Di. I'm not early this week - I'm late!! Just missed last week's play time - sorry. Not bothered about stamp this week (although scrummy) as have similar.
    Enjoy the sunshine if it's shining where you are.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning Di....ooohhh I LOVE this stamp it can be used in so many differet ways....I love how you've used it to also make your gorgeous flower

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I first saw this card, I thought you'd actually used hessian! What a great stamp! I love how you've used it for the flowers - very clever idea. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great selection of pick again this week. Glad you made it here Rebecca! Welcome to Elly too. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning Di.
    Another week of fabulous inspiration and marvellous makes!!

    In the playground nice and early today - anyone for hopscotch?!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card is adorable! Love the burlap stamp - looks so real! What fun picks this week! Thanks for another Snippets Playground - I'll be back later to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super picks again this week Di. That burlap stamp is great isn't it? As for the balancing act - I haven't managed it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have absolutely fallen in love with that burlap stamp Di. The possebilities are just endless.
    (Was love at first sight)
    Thanks for picking my back to school card, I am thrilled.
    For tomorrow have a lovely new week. Kids first day at school here in Belgium. Mine starts september 16th.
    Love and hugs from Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for featuring my cards, I'm still learning but pleased to start becoming involved in the playground, working on another entry now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The burlap stamp i lovely Di, it's a gorgeous card with a country home feel to it.

    Congratulations to the winners and the picks, they are so inspiring.

    Warm hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Miss Di & the lovely Parsnip.

    Thank you so much for featuring my snippets cards and bag.
    I know it must be awful for you choose as there are so many super creations entered each week.
    I must say I have visited most of those you chose and a few beside.
    Congrats to Elizabeth on her win.
    I will be back tomorrow with my entry for this week, and maybe a few more, as I have a few waiting in the wings.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.
    and a big wave for your helper Parsnip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great burlap stamp that is Di. I did not realise it was a stamp at first . . . until I read your info.

    Terrific card . . . especially the flower with the Sarn Candi!!!! LOL!

    Hugs Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Di

    Loving your card sooo much .. .. that background stamp is amazing. I really thought it was fabric!

    Great sentiment stamp too.

    Lots of lovely show and tells and congratulations on your win Elizabeth.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. l'm loving your card Di quick and simple but totally stunning as always.........another great showcase and many congrats to Elizabeth take care x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, Di, I'm so delighted to be drawn for the prize this week, and for including my flower card in the showcase ... so unexpected but all the nicer for that :) Thanks to everyone who sent their congrats too ... you are all lovely!

    Love your card, Di. That burlap stamp is fab and your flower is gorgeous. Rhubarb Stalk ... sounds delicious :) That's a great tip about using the plate from the Cuttlebug for a large stamp ... I really would never have thought of that!!!

    Another great showcase too ... there's one or two I didn't find time to visit during the week that I will definitely popping in to see soon.

    Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is downright country for sure, and I absolutely love it. Aren't you brilliant to use the same stamp to make your pretty flower? I haven't seen this JR stamp yet, but will be on the lookout for it after seeing what you've done with it. I was blown away at seeing my boots highlighted. I am in some rarified company, as I glanced at the highlights while scrolling down to the comment form. Back late. I'm in my usual catchup mode. Hugs to my little buddy, and to yourself as well. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  27. Forgot to say a Big Congrats to Miss Elizabeth on her pretty prize too. I know she's going to make something gorgeous with it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thought it was the real thing Miss. That is one mighty useful stamp. Likey what you have done on your card. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Always fun to see the picks, which are great once again! Your card is absolutely charming, Di! I didn't realize the burlap was a stamp until I read your post & saw the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Miss Di & the lovely Parsnip,
    well I'm back today with this weeks entry into this fab challenge.
    Forgot to say yesterday how much I liked your snippets creation this week.
    I love that stamp and what you have created with it.
    Wouldn't have thought to make the flowers with it too.
    I wanted this stamp or a similar one when I saw it on C & C but didn't have the spare pennies to buy.
    So I know it's greedy of me but I want to win this week.lol.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh wow! Fabulous card, Di.
    It wasn't until I scrolled down that I realised the burlap was a stamp - the texture looks so real!
    Congrats to all the showcased crafters - great work.
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I never would have guessed you used a stamp here - fabulous! Wonderful parade of cards - always a pleasure to look at. Now I am back from vacation and of course had to link up a card...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm sitting down but still squeeeeling Di! teehee, thanks for the pic, and sharing all those lovely projects xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Popping back with another card! And some photos of the RV!

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW Di, your card is over-the-top gorgeous! I love the look of the burlap on the flower and background! So trendy and so pretty! Congrats to Elizabeth and all of the other wonderful notables sharing the spotlight this week! I'm blown away with all the inspiration I see at the Playground each week! NJ everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Di, back with another entry and woohoo! am excited to say the mailman delivered my lovely prize of the candle die and ribbons today. Thank you so much! Will definitely need to get started on some chrissy cards now, maybe on the weekend, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely card Di and fabulous picks this week! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. A gorgeous card, Di! I love the burlap flower too. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I thought your card had a burlap panel stuck to it at first! Fabulous picks and congrats to Elizabeth!
    I am so sorry but I forgot to link this up yesterday - so hope it is okay that I have now! I hope to be back soon Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a lovely snippets card, Di! I have that burlap stamp, or one very like it, that hasn't seen the light of day in dog's years. Thank you for the reminder!

    You've chosen well again with all the showcased card art! Just awesomeness from everyone! I'm playing only for fun again. After two weekends in a row with the boys, this last one five days long, I need some time on the swings with a few good pushers.

    Wait. What?

    Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  41. Back again Di with a second entry.
    Couldn't get enough of it this week ;-) LOL.
    Big hug, Veerle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just posted my third card for this week. I won't be around for the next couple of weeks to join in the challenges..... but I'll be back! Hopefully I'll be able get to internet access to visit the Playground. xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. I adore that burlap background. and how clever that you gave the flower texture, also. Congrats to all of the fabulous projects you have spotlighted!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Miss Di & the lovely Parsnip.
    just entering another snippets entry this week.
    I did say I had a few waiting in the wings. lol.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  45. have actually got round to doing a card - hope link works!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is my first time entering a card in your challenge. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Just found your wonderful site & challenge - I may have entered twice, if so, I am so sorry! I love using (and saving) bits & pieces from my art so I suspect you will be seeing lots of me :) Christi

    ReplyDelete
  48. So glad for Elizabeth she will make some great cards with those dies.. wow Di cant get over how industrious you have been this week so many cards and posts well done.. and even more Christmas cards must admit did make one today .. or start two to be precise .. was paper piecing and quite tedious but great effect!!
    so many great playground peeks too wow!!
    ... off to get to your posts above love Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love your CAS card this week. The burlap stamp background looks so real - almost as if it is real burlap. I would love to own this prize. Always fun to see what cards you choose to showcase week by week. *U*

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wonderful picks again Di. I agree with you that guitar card is amazing -- I am trying to figure out how to CASE it without having an owl punch....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.