Sunday 22 January 2012

Pixie's Crafty Snippets - Challenge Number 4

In the words of Victor Meldrew 'I don't belieeeeeve it'!! Another fantastic turnout in the playground this week, including a few new visitors (welcome!) - and some stunning use of snippets needless to say.

Firstly, here's my snippets make for this week - I made it on Thursday as I knew writing this post would most likely be a last minute flurry of activity:
Yet another stamp set I've had for ages was inked up for the first time (shame on me) and I even got my small 'to be kept just for use on paper' sewing machine out in honour of the occasion :)

I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card stock

- image and sentiment by Lawn Fawn from their 'Sew Lovely' stamps set. I think I was so desperate to get my paws on this I got it from the USA but I just bet it's available over here now! I stamped the main image, did a little bit of Pro Marker colouring and then paper pieced the dress

- all backing papers from the snippets folder - stitched round as well :)

- the blue Core'dinations card came from a fresh 6" x 6" sheet, trimmed and punched round using a Martha Stewart Punch Around The Page 'lace' set

- baby blue organza ribbon from stash with a double bow using the bow maker, a white pearl button from the button tin and some embroidery thread. The little scissors charm also came from my stash

-  Josy Rose shiny silver nail heads

Edit: I just spotted that the current challenge over at The Allsorts Challenge is 'Needles and Pins' so I'm entering this card :)
 
Right ladies (and some big kids too) let's get onto the all-important roll call for this past week.

Clattering the handle of the gate as I opened up the playground this week was Carol with this lovely Christmas Card. Carol made the card primarily for another challenge with the theme of 'think thin' - great idea for saving postage this coming Christmas. Her offering is a lovely Winter Wonderland scene that has a really ethereal quality about it - see, I can still do big words :)

Next into the playground came Zahreen clutching a whole load of stunning butterflies which adorned a set of thank you cards. Fresh and clean cards, each with such bright butterflies cut from snippets, really gorgeous - you can see them here. There must have been a lot of presents to say thank you for :)

Sarn hopped in next with a terrific Kenny K card with a little bit of 'attitude' about the lovely image. Huh, as  Sarn had already pointed out to me that the two potential 'troubles' in the playground were in 'her gang' - this little lady on Sarn's card here certainly could be a ringleader, complete with that look of innocence!  And the background snippet that Sarn used is just great - certainly a perfect card for a teenager.

Next came Gilly with an absolute cutie. The papers and flower on her card, here, totally echo that adorable hedgie image (called Hobble and Cuddle by Penny Black) - pinks and greens going together so brilliantly - perfick! Gilly says she couldn't recall where her snippets came from - I bet most of us are like that, I'm certainly not into writing names of papers on the backs of snippets when they get piled into a basket waiting for their 'every few days sort out and file into colours session'.

Then Maggie arrived with a super 'I'm getting ready early this year, so there' Christmas card which you can see here.  The original challenge that Maggie made it for was 'black, white and red' - and it's really great, the tree is soooo elegant! As I write up the roll call, obviously I hop to and from your blogs - while I was in Maggie's blog just now I heard a plaintive 'miaow' and it took me a while to realise it's from a widget on the left hand sidebar of her blog. Oh dear I've just spent five minutes here playing with a 'virtual cat' - it's worth a look while you're checking out Maggie's card!

Jules had been rummaging in the brown snippets drawer (yup, she even has drawers for her different coloured snippets!) for her papers used on this stunner here. And just the tiniest touch of blue/turquoise sets it off so well. It's another of those cards that makes you gasp and feel like hanging up your scissors and double sided tape for good - totally elegant! Jules has been keeping an eye on proceedings in the playground (thank you!) and also helped me with how to put an expiry date on Mr Linky, yay!

Hey ho, next into the playground came Hettie (aka Sam) - with a layout shown here . Would you believe that such a terror could look so cute as a little girl sitting in a mountain of ballroom dancing tulle, 'tweeting' and pretending to be a bird in a nest? Absolutely adorable photo and I almost forgot - Sam's layout is terrific too, do go and have a smile at such cuteness!! Sam came back a bit later in the week with a lovely card featuring a lovely House Mouse image - here - I'm still wondering how on earth such a little mouse would possibly lick one of those stamps :)

Laura then arrived, with such a cute Valentine's Day card featuring 'Boofles', here. Quite apart from the fantastic image  the background paper is stunning, perfect for a Valentine card. Our Laura amazes me by managing to study, work long shifts and also find time for crafting - the energy of the young maybe! She's training to be a children's nurse and deserves a big round of applause for her dedication!

Then Lynn came along with a card, using paper piecing which is so clean, fresh and simply stunning at the same time. Lynn printed wording over her snippet of background paper (neat idea)  and stamped on the inside of the card too - with such great results. I did find out the name of the stamp she used, it's Penny Black's  'Whispers' (thanks Lynn!) - to see what I mean, go here to see. Oh dear, another stamp on the wish list :(

Liz was next with an 85th birthday card - made using her Robo, and of course using up snippets.  You can see it here - it's very elegant and uses some great blue papers. I've noticed that a few of us are using blues this week. Then, later on Liz popped in again with this little beauty here. Some terrific colour co-ordination going on here and such a cute image too. Super stuff Liz!

Next into the playground came Irene with a beautiful 'vintage floral' card using a great Penny Black Stickeroo stamp - you can see it here. Irene didn't say how she coloured the stamp but the result is terrific - I'm wondering if Aqua Markers would be good to use on a couple of similar stamps here which are waiting to be inked up? Irene's next card here used a stamp that I think she's had since 1997 - and this was its first outing!! Is that a record? Just look at how the embossing and the BP go together so well too.

Then Elizabeth arrived, and I quote 'I think this has got to be a personal first, a snippet card made directly after a project has been completed, so the leftover paper never even made it on to the snippet mountain :)'. And what a stunner she made too - Elizabeth is one of those people who also decorates the inside and back of her cards, go here to see her really pretty card. I struggle to even do normal inserts for my cards once the front is finished so this is 'uber-impressive'!!

Brenda was next, and she didn't even hop over the fence this week, although she did threaten to pull my hair later in the week for a minor offence :) Brenda's lovely card, stunning in its simplicity and such a clever idea, can be seen here. Butterflies are so popular at the moment, and it's interesting to see how a card with butterflies can look so modern. Fabulous!

The gentle Sandra H arrived in the playground next - I think she could be a peace maker if riots ever break out - with this little beauty. Sandra used an adorable House Mouse stamp for her image and the card is monochromatic - it works brilliantly too! I truly wondered if the laces were an addition to the card rather than coloured - to see what I mean you'll have to go and peek for yourself :)

Hazel's first visit of the week was to show a stunning card, in red hot pinks here. I have to say that Hazel is one prolific card maker and she hopped back with more cards during the week, all great too, each time she had a quick spin on the roundabout and then raced off back to her craft room! You can see Hazel's other cards here perfect for someone who plays bowls, here - and at first I thought the jewels were real,  here (fabulous purples) and here (a very clever, retro-style, retirement card).

Tammy's first visit was to show her combination of pink and yellow on a great Valentine's Day card - here. And, I just spotted that it made the top three at Simply Stampin' - well done Tammy, and well deserved too. Then really hot pink was the main colour on her next card - great image with a perfect sentiment! To see what I mean, go here :) Tammy's final offering is here - terrific, 24 butterflies punched out for one card with a super result - three lovely cards.

Next came Heidi with such a cute card here -  I love the image and those lovely flowers and leaves punched using snippets. Such patience - but it really paid off and reminded me that Spring isn't really that far off! Great stuff Heidi.

Bernie arrived next with this beauty. All pinks and, as always, so very pretty - and Bernie has a great little tip for when you're punching smaller scraps - go and see for yourself. Snow was beginning to fall where she lives in the USA and, when Bernie next trotted back in, more had fallen and she was ready to kill the snow plough driver who seemed to be waiting round the corner every time she finished clearing her drive just so he could come by again and spray snow all over her hard work :) Her stunning 'pocket card' can be seen here, it's truly gorgeous - and her posting was so funny that I cried with laughter. I now need to do the same - ie. make a pocket card, not lie in wait for the snow plough chap with my snow shovel ready to beat him into submission :)

Linby then came to visit with a beautiful 'patchwork' style card - here - made for a quilting friend. A very clever idea and I just bet her friend will be delighted! And, Linby also revealed that she keeps the snippets left over from her snippets - I bet loads of us also do that and it made me wonder how small can snippets become before we eventually have a sort out?

Next in was Jackie, apologising that it was her first make of the week, here. Lots of lovely layers and her card blank was from Lakeland when they used to sell card making supplies, a shame they stopped as they had some good ideas! On her first visit Jackie had a go on the swings, this time it was the slide with a great pink and white card here. Really interesting to see the snippets before she'd attacked them too! Not content, Jackie also wanted a go on the roundabout - so she hopped back in with this super album for a friend. I gasped when I saw it 'cos it did remind me of my own snippets offering this week - too late to change it now, it's late Saturday already and no more crafting time available :(

Andria arrived next with a Christmas card - I love it! So crisp and clean, just great - you can see it here. The embossing sets  it off beautifully I think - and Forever Friends images are always so great! Really lovely card Andria.

Mags B was next to arrive clutching a really beautiful Winter birthday card, using a Miss Anya image, fabulous colouring, papers and some delicious flowers - and of course using snippets :) It all works so well together and is quite something. To see her lovely creation go here - I love it!

Our next playmate was Princess Judy - I think she really should be called Priceless Judy, her blog is very funny and always makes me smile! Judy came bearing these two snippets beauties - here - in primarily black, red and white - certainly the second one would be great for this challenge, a new one being run by Enfys of Going Buggy. The theme this month is red, white and black or grey. Picking up on a little outbreak of rebellion in the playground, Judy seemed disappointed that I expected the playmates to 'Play Well With Others' :)

So, that's the roll call for this week - I hope no-one has been left out, I've done a check and double check but mistakes can happen when I'm around!

Thank you for all the fun (and some angst, which I must admit had me crying - with laughter - at times). Hope to see you again this next week. Usual drill, the playground will close at midnight on Saturday - so no tunnelling under the fence :)

Have a great week and keep snippeting!

Di
x

27 comments:

  1. fabulllooooooos card hon...happy Sunday!!
    Huggs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - MAMMOTH post . . . hope you don't get carpal tunnel syndrome from all that typing! (I think I might want to be a nurse when I grow up.)

    Absolutely GORGEOUS snippet card Miss. Off to play on the slide now!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is lovely Di, what great taste you have :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Verrry nice! I love the scissors charm!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab card, love the scissors charm
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Di

    What a major post .. .. thank goodness Mr Blogger was in a better mood this week and you didn't have to start again !!!!

    Loving your snippet make.

    Fab image and your cute little button and charm are the perfect finishing touch .. .. and the sewing machine is out .. .. woo hoo!!!

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh what a lot of snippet makes this week! Loving your card Di. I've been brave and used some hoarded bits of Anna Griffin paper - you know from that stash you can't bear to part with lol. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty card Di! I love the colours and detail. Can't believe you hadn't inked up that stamp before it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous snippet make Di, and another well written and great commentary on the posts.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on getting all that down - what a task. I do sometimes do a sift and throw out pieces smaller than a certain size - but not very often LOL!
    Love the card and that stamp set is fab, just love sewing and fashion themes.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evening Di, Well what another stunner your showing today! love that stamp and you hadn't stamped it up l couldn't leave such an adorable image without even trying it out un stamped!! l like the colour combo Di, Blue looks stunning on your model and the beautiful background too! love the sentiment and die just another amazing entry and its great to see what you have wrote about the last card thank you your so kind:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card Di, the stamp is fab & with the perfect sentiment.
    Re the stamp storage, so far the acetate sheet thing is working for me, have to admit I am not the best at putting the stamp back in its proper home straight after use. So I have a little tin on my desk where they live until I am done crafting for the day and I put them all away in one go. Will be interested to hear what route you decide to go down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can only echo what others have said about your lovely card Di. Your post made me LOL today, very funny. I'll try to be good this week and not incite any riots, well, not too many anyway! Got a snippet card started but have been knitting this weekend instead of card making. Made your lovely cake this afternoon and we're currently scoffing a big slab each with a big pot of Assam tea! It's divine! I added a 1/2 tsp of both almond and vanilla extracts, added more sultanas and nuts inside, like you suggested, and made an icing drizzle to go over the top for good measure!!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a super card and the scissors charm is a lovely touch.

    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Again Di, love your card - great embellies. The stamps used have gone on my wishlist. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well Di, l took your recipe and made me a cake only couldn't find Sultanas so had to use dates and the cake was just a lovely thanks for the free Cookery lessons..........lol l have placed it on my side bar and your link back to your recipe:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great card Di!

    loving the blue and the image is just perfect!!

    Thanks for joining in our Needles and pins challenge at Allsorts....

    Emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card Di! Love the paper piecing, the stamp, just everything really! Really lovely card. (Oh and the scissors charm!)
    Thankyou for your kind words as usual :)
    I am only as dedicated as I am due to having such a friendly bunch of bloggers to share with and obviously the playground ;)
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely card Di, I love the colour combo and the little scissors charm, it is really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Di

    What a brilliant card. the different blues work so well together, and a brilliant image.
    Oh those little scissors are perfect.
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Couldn't leave just one post this week could I?

    I left a comment the other day but I don't see it! Hmmph!

    It went along the line of Great Post and glad you like my "tweeting"! Who knew that "tweeting" would become the "in" thing in later years!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whew how you keep up with all us playmates is beyond me. I'm so happy I got to see what everyone had to share. Your card is fantastic! Of course I love the color. :) Wonderful papers and I love that sweet charm.
    Love & Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been busy doing my homework today, so I have added my first card to the playground. I am hoping to be back tomorrow, when there is enough light to get a good photo. That is definitely a good card of your for several challenges this week. Hope everyone is being good this week. xx Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  24. So no tunelling under the fence allowed then! You havn't seen whats playing in the park!
    Sorry just had to make this card for you after that.
    p.s. Dosen't everyone mark on their snippets whence they came?
    p.p.s. Whilst one of my initials is the same as it isn't what the Mrs A stands for. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Phew . . . just came skidding into the playground with my homework Miss. No detention for me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Di, I've finally managed to post the snippet card intended for last week's snippet challenge until I had to be excused ... and I'm relieved to see that I'm not the last into the playground this week, Liz has added a link :) However, I might be back yet. Off now to check out your soup recipe. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.