Sunday 7 January 2024

Sunday Snippets and Celebrating 12 years of the Playground!

There's a new Challenge being run by Sarn, over in the Snippets Playground HERE. We're celebrating 12 years since I took over running the Snippets Playground from our lovely Jules. And there are two bumper prizes to be won - the theme for the two week long challenge is still snippets of course, along with 'Celebration'. Of course we'll revert to our usual 'just need to use and say which snippets' afterwards but it's such a lovely couple of prizes I'm sure you'll want to join in!

It's also two years since this 'New Snippets Playground' blog opened with the lovely design created for us by Loll. AND, most importantly, after Sarn worked for some time behind the scenes it was a delight to officially welcomed her as my partner in crime in March of 2022! I can't begin to thank her enough for her unwavering support every single step of the way and I couldn't wish for a better co-owner of our Playground - thank you my lovely friend!
 
OK, enough of the 'soppy stuff' although every single word came from my heart. Let's move onto my snippets card -  I actually made a set of four - to include when sending out prizes to celebrating winners of the challenges run by me:

The snippets, left from stamping then fussy cutting, the paper piecing elements

I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, side opening

- I used some almost full sheets of patterned paper - details below - to add a layer measuring 5.25" x 4" onto the card front as a background for the image panel and glued it in place

- used a selection of snippets pulled out of the halved envelopes I glue into the back of paper pads and packs so I can keep patterned snippets fairly easily with the original designs. The packs are both made by Dovecraft called 'Back to Basics' and 'Back to Basics II' and are ancient!

- then used some smooth white card to stamp the image and bubble sentiment, using VersaFine Clair 'Nocturne' ink. The snail image and actual speech bubble surround stamps are from Woodware's 'Happy Snail' stamp set - and the 'huge congrats' sentiment is from a Clearly Besotted sentiments set called 'Speaking out' - bought not too long ago on clearance 

- used the Misti to stamp the snail image onto a small snippet of white paper - held in place using a sticky sheet and then, one at a time I placed snippets of the desired papers over the relevant pieces of the image and then stamped the image onto the snippet - by far the best way I know to position stamps for paper piecing images 

- fussy cut the different pieces, edged them using a black Tombow brush marker and used a glue pen to adhere them onto the main snail image images. I always try to add the glue to the main image and then lay the fussy cut patterned paper on top as I find there's less chance of spoilage

- die cut the image panel using a much loved Lil'Inkers 'Stitched Rectangles' die

- then added two 'goggly eyes' - which I very recently bought from Amazon. They're self-adhesive, come in a huge selection of sizes in a divided plastic case - AND, even include some eyes with coloured 'lids' and also some with coloured lids and the sweetest eye lashes. Bargain really!

- added thin strips of sticky foam tape around the back edges of the image panel, swiped them with a glue stick for a bit of wiggle room - then stuck the panel onto the card front

- final touch, used a glue pen to add a leftover green snippet strip across the envelope flap , trimmed either side - and called it a wrap!

I'd like to add this card into Darnell's NBUS Challenge #58 HERE. The two stamp sets - and the googly eyes were all having their first outing.

I showed Len the little batch of cards and he said 'Just perfect for kids, although how many do you know?'.  Once Dudley and I stopped holding one another up to control our hysteria, I managed to blurt out 'Only the Snippets Playground, full of them!'. 

Dudley Pupdate:  With perfect timing, our hot water side of the central heater boiler went 'kaput' the other day - and it's driven Dudley almost crazy! He hates unexpected visitors at the best of times, but engineers three days running almost had him climbing up the walls - we weren't far behind him I admit! We're convinced he thinks they're out to murder us or, even worse, steal Honka Duck! 

He has his annual vet check up due in February and I'll be asking for advice about his anxiety. We don't want a 'doped up' dog but something that can safely and gently calm him down would be a help. Mind you - that was sort of spooky - my mobile phone had a stream of messages coming in and on Thursday morning, when another came in, he retreated to the other end of the room and just stared at the phone. Almost as if he just knew it was the reminder from our vet to book him an appointment! 😰 I admit, we did chuckle at the timing!

With love from Dudley and myself, 




21 comments:

  1. Cute card, and lovely use of snippets, and how many kids do you know!!! Hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours Di and well done on keeping things going for so long, it takes time and commitment.

    Dudley calming, one of the 'Gingers' (one Son has two Vizsla's) has some homeopathic drops for the very same, can get details if you want?

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect card for Playground winners Di, love the googly eyes. Luckily we got our boiler fixed on their last appointment before Xmas…….there’s never a good time though eh? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant card design and just right for sending to lucky Playground winner 'kids'. Well done for keeping the playground such an active and happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards Di, just love those googly eyes. I still have some of these papers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous colourful cards for Playmates Di. Love that fun snail with the googly eyes!

    Thank you for the heartfelt words in your "soppy stuff"! 😘 I am so lucky to be your teamie - it gives me lots of pleasure, so thank YOU for having me on board! ❤️

    Hope Brenda's homeopathic remedy helps Dudley's anxieties. Thank goodness the hot water problems are now sorted. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Di your card is adorable and great use of snippets hugs to Dudley x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on reaching your 12th anniversary with the Snippets Playground and thank you for your stewardship! Adorable card design for the Playmates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one cute and fun card with the paper pieced snail and his googly eyes! Anyone would be delighted to receive this card because we're all kids at heart here in the playground. Congrats on 12 great years too, I'm glad to have been a part of it for all this time! Tipping my glass for many more in the future too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely card for the 'playground kids' and a great use of snippets.
    I too keep my snippets in envelopes at the back of paper pads - an idea I copied from you many years ago!
    Congratulations on 12 years in the playground too.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath - hard to believe 12 years has gone - it flew! So glad you used the snippets storage idea, it works so well! x

      Delete
  11. BIGGEST Congrats, Di!!!! 12 years are a huge amount of challenges, wow! So many efforts but you made it a very SPECIAL place! And now you and Sarn are a fabulous team!
    Adorable card, so sweet and cheerful!! Love that paperpieced snail with her googling eyes!! I laugh so much for Len's words and your answer! Ah ah! He can't understand, sadly LOL :D
    Sorry for your boiler, and also more for Dudley! He probably thinks he has to guard the house, and what’s inside, that’s his proud role. And he’s certainly upset that you allow strangers to come in and touch for three days straight! His certainties on himself collapse! Hope that Brenda's suggestion about that homeopathic remedy could help him.
    LOTS of cuddles to him, and big hugs to you. Hope that now you finally have the hot water and the home free of engineers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Alice! Dudley is sleeping on my side of the bed - I can see him from my craft room desk across the landing. He's not gonna be happy when I have to gently make some space to squeeze into bed! x

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, what an blog-aversary, congratulation - and such gorgeous cards also.
    Poor Dudley - he sounds like a nervous wee fellow - unfortunately I can't help as i have only ever owned cats...
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Di on 12 years running the Snippets Playground - that is some feat!
    Love this adorable snippet card - the googly eyes are fabulous!! Also what a brilliant idea sticking an envelope in the back of your paper pads to keep track of your paper snippets - I must admit I just tuck the large snippets inside the pad and don't keep very small snippets as i don't feel I can house them! (shame on me!).
    Pauline xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab card and I love how you put the image at an angle. I would love to do the same sometimes but I just can't do it! Congratulations on 12 years my friend. L x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Di! It's hard to believe that it's been 12 years since you took over everyone's favorite Playground challenge from Jules! You have a lot of stamina, even with the blessing of Sarn's wonderful help! Your googly-eyed snail card is adorable and perfect for ANY age! As for the little guy's anxiety, I'm no help, but I hope you find something safe that works for him and that will bring you and Len peace of mind. Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Happy New Year, my friend! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry Di, I missed your cute snails, and cute googly eyes, and love the paper piecing and a pretty background paper as well. I cannot believe that you have been running The Playground for 12 years, and thank you for keeping it going, and it's great that you have Sarn to ably assist you now, you make a great team! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could have sworn I commented on this post Di but perhaps Blogger is misbehaving again! I am quite teary-eyed about your 12 year milestone at the Playground - what an achievement. It is one of the happiest places to play in Blogland, thanks to you and your Head Prefect, and I try not to miss any of the challenges. Loll's design for the challenge blog is as fresh as the day it opened in its current place too! Your cute snail is perfect for anyone aged 0-99 and an inspirational way to use the snippets too. Dudley is quite normal! It's a rare dog that is truly comfortable with strangers entering their territory - especially when a boiler disaster has happened and we are also quite anxious about a lack of hot water/heating. I would suggest enlisting the engineers' help by asking them to make a fuss of him and getting them to give him very high quality treats (bits of roast chicken/cheese or my dogs' favourite: liver pan-fried in butter and cut into tiny pieces!!) Hope this helps! Hugs, Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.