Sunday 31 December 2023

Sunday Snippets - and a Birthday card

When this publishes, we'll be almost ready to leave 2023 behind and see what 2024 brings with it! New Year's Eve has never been a favourite celebration for either of us and we'll just have some homemade soup for eats, with nibbles to follow as we have a quiet evening and watch the Thames Firework Display on TV. Bliss - with Dudley curled up with us of course.

This coming week, one of our little neighbours will celebrate his 7th Birthday - so I whipped up a quick snippets card for him, which is either a caterpillar or a centipede with invisible legs ....... perhaps it's a 'caterpede'?  😅 


The leftover snippet pieces!
I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, tent style

- piece of the same white card, trimmed to 5" x 3.75" and set aside for now

- a piece of rust coloured sparkly card, sent to me by a lovely friend, trimmed to 5.25" x 4" and glued onto the card front

- then glued the 'previously trimmed and set aside' white panel onto the card front and rolled up my sleeves to make the 'critter' and the sentiment strip - using a load of snippets and my mini die cutting machine

- die cut two of each colour of the plain card and glued them on top of one another - using a circle die from Tonic Studio's 'Circle Layering' set of dies

- then die cut the head from a snippet of the sparkly rust coloured card, using a slightly bigger die from the same Tonic Studio's circle set and backed it with a couple of plain white die cut circles

- to finish the head I added a couple of little, straight brown 'antennae' using red line tape to the back of the head, drew in a mouth using a black marker and added the goggly eyes, backed with punched circles of the brown card (using red line tape) so they didn't look too 'lost'!

- then added the 'caterpede' to the white panel on the card front - using thin sticky pads and also glue pen where the pieces overlapped ......... instead of sticky pad. to keep a more evenly raised layer 

- die cut the sentiment from the snippet of rust sparkly card - using an Altenew die from the 'Essential Sentiment Strips' die. Backed the strip with one die cut from plain white card and then backed that with a plain narrow strip of white card to show through the cut out lettering and also make adhering it to the card front easier

- stuck the sentiment in place on the card front using red line tape - with glue stick whisked over it, to allow for a little movement, before pressing it firmly in place

- finally, die cut the number 7 using a 'The Works' die from their 'Numbered Candles' set of dies, backed it with a plain white die cut - then snipped off the flame of the candle. Cruel I know but the set is much more versatile if you're prepared to have a little snip here and there!

- used very narrow red line tape to adhere the number onto the body of the 'caterpede'

- finished!

Sarn has posted the results of Challenge #469 over in the Snippets Playground HERE. As ever, she has some really great choices as 'Picks' - and a lucky prize draw winner too!  

Dudley Pupdate: Before Christmas, we had a stair lift installed here (aka the 'Ski Lift') and I cannot begin to explain how it's made going up and even more so, down, our stairs so easy as opposed to recent times! Dudley is getting much more used to it and is absolutely loving the fact that I'm spending a lot more time going up and down and also spending more time in the lounge (and kitchen!).He loves to race the 'Ski Lift' going up the stairs - and wins every time needless to say!  And of course over Christmas he sat and stared with his huge eyes hoping for teeny scraps whenever we sat at the dining room table to eat - hard to resist but also he needs to hold back a bit! For such a small dog I swear he would eat until he couldn't even move, given the chance!

There's still one week of the current challenge left to run! Remember, it's anything BUT Christmas as the theme! The challenge is below Sarn's results post over in the Playground. Do please make a card and come play with us. There's two chances to win a gift voucher for the online shop of your choice. 

With love from Dudley and myself,




13 comments:

  1. Love your caterpede! What a great way to use up some snippets! I’m so glad I’m not alone on the new years thing, we shall be doing exactly same as you! I can just imagine Dudley racing your ski lift 😂😂😂. Happy New Year Di, Len and Dudley. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super “caterpede” card for a 7-year-old boy.

    I’ll be joining you & Lesley on the settee, watching the TV - but might not make it to midnight!!!

    Perhaps you need to use the ski lift a bit extra so Dudley can shed a few ounces running alongside you! 😉

    Wishing you a fab 2024 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's clever - you've invented a new species 😉. I'm sure the young lad will love it. Enjoy your quiet New Year event this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely card and a great use of snippets for your caterpede.
    Like you, we'll be enjoying a quiet evening at home (or quiet until everyone sets off their fireworks at midnight!). I hope you have a Happy New Year and that 2024 is a good year for you.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable clever card you've made with your snippets! I absolutely LOVE this and I'm sure the youngster celebrating will too! Congrats on the lift chair, I'm sure it will make life easier for you both. I can visualize Dudley racing you LOL It will be a quiet new year's eve for me as well. I will be curled up in front of the tv nodding off well before the clock strikes midnight I'm sure! LOL Have a happy, blessed and wonderful new year in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delightful card, which I'm sure will be appreciated by the lad. We are with you as to New year. Enjoy yourselves. Wishing you health and Happiness for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card for a youngster! We'll probably be in bed before midnight! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like New Year's eve celebrations too. And don't like fireworks, as all the animals :D LOL. Also for me will be a quiet new beginning.
    LOVE that caterpede and his big smile, how cute and fun!! And those googly eyes with their brown back are so lovely!! I'm sure that the kid will adore his Birthday card!
    The "Ski lift" is surely a very useful thing, and I can imagine Dudley racing with you up and down the stairs! What fun, especially for him! :D And this also helps him to dispose of the tidbits of Holidays lunches! LOL :D
    I wish you, Len and Dudley a wonderful New Year, full of peace, joy, health and whatever you desire!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alice - what a totally charming comment! So much appreciated, more than you know. We are just into the New Year here and dear little Dudley is fast asleep on our bed and he is 'sort of' taking to his new toy from Santa - Sammy Squirrel. Why do 'Mums' know to take it really slow - and Dads just say 'Get this new toy, son!'? Tell you what, Dudley has an annual vet appointment for a check up soon - and I suspect that he will be in big doggy-do's if he doesn't ease off the eating! I will certainly need to go up and down the stairs several times in a day - just to give him exercise!

      With love

      Di and Dudley! xxx

      Delete
  9. I love this! So simple and yet so clever and cheerful. And a great use of snippets of course. I'm picturing you both racing up and down the stairs now. Such fun x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute caterpede, such a clever idea and I'm sure this little seven year old will adore it, with its lovely smile and googly eyes and carrying the number on its back. Wishing you, Len and Dudley a new year full of all the best things..I think I know what Dudley would be wishing for..lol. I'm glad the 'lift' is making life much easier for you Di. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super card Di, I love your little caterpede. 😀 Sounds like Dudley has a new game to play, trying to beat the Ski Lift.
    Happy New Year, I hope 2024 will be a good year for us all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what an adorable, clever card--love this, Di! How wonderful you got the Ski Lift! I can just see Dudley racing on the stairs & proud of himself for winning! Quiet New Year's at our house, too. Luckily the few fireworks didn't upset Fritz. As for the arch dies--the ones I used are what I finally ended up with back then. They weren't exactly what I wanted, but now I realize they work just fine & no need to get a different one. That gorgeous angel card you sent me is what made me think I had to have an arch die!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.