Wednesday 5 September 2018

Birthday card for Kai

Kai is our much loved honorary daughter - and also the Mum of Mia and Livi (Len's granddaughters). She recently had a Birthday and Len suggested I ought to have an owl on the card I was planning to make for her. Huh, she adores owls and of course I'd taken my best owl stamps to give to her when we had the card making spree in Germany fairly recently.

Then, I remembered the brilliant Stampin' Up 'Owl' punch! Good ole SU to the rescue :)

The card I made is very much based on an old one I found on Pinterest - needless to say I can't find the link again. Anyhow, hats off to whoever designed this card originally, it's such a simple design but I do think it's very effective - this is my version:
I used:

- 5" x 5" off-white card  blank, side opening

- snippet of blue card which was die cut using one of The Works 'Stitched Squares' dies

- snippet of green card, die cut using a very old die by Marianne Creatables 'LR0120' (one of those with the release foam) in dating back to when I very first got a Cuttlebug) - and put to one side

- snippets of brown, beige, cream and black card to punch out the various elements of the owl so I could look at him and decide on the size of the moon to position the sentiment (as you do) - then popped into a deep plastic lid to keep them safe whilst I made up the owl, using a glue pen

- the moon came next and I used a square of cream card in the Misti to stamp the sentiment using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' and a stamp from the LOTV 'General Greetings - Small' set of stamps (still an old favourite!). Often it's easier to stamp a sentiment and then die cut afterwards rather than the other way round - err, and I really meant to use a dark brown for the sentiment but hey-ho - my hands were ahead of the brain!

- used a die from the Tonic Studios 'Circle Layering' set to die cut the moon

- so now all the elements were done and first of all I glued the blue background to the card front, using Collall All Purpose Glue

- then laid it all out and glued the leafy branch in place using a fine glue pen (I'd already trimmed quite a few curls and whirls from the branch before I was happy)

- next came the moon, making sure the sentiment was as level as possible - glued in place using Collall All Purpose Glue again

-then it was the turn of Kai's favourite - the owl. I added it to the branch using thin sticky pads just to add a bit of dimension

- Len peeked in the craft room just as I finished and said it was lovely (his idea of course) and suggested maybe I ought to add a heart! So funny, the punch has a little heart as one of the elements so I punched one from a tiny snippet of red card and added it with a glue pen - and it made a real difference having the little pop of red

Got top marks from Mister Len - whoop, whoop! Or should that really be hoot, hoot?! And Kai loved it too :)






18 comments:

  1. Your card is not only so sweet, but also adorable and classy! Love very much the clean design! I'm sure that Kaj will be a happy bunny!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute Di, and love the swirly branch and the moon behind image which looks great with the sentiment on it. Love the colours too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A super card using that brilliant punch - must dust mine off and bring it into service!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a stunning card Di - and a great idea to use the punch art to portray the owl!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous owl creation for Kai. No wonder she loved it. Great idea about the little heart too.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous card for Kai Di! I love your owl card, it is so cute and perfect for an owl loving daughter! I have this punch too and need to get it out and use it. I think I made some different owls, so need to dig in my stash and see. lol It is so great to use with those snippets. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic card Di,I love this little owl I even have the punch. However this is where I admit that although I have the punch I have never used it. It would be ideal for snippets I'm sure.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a sweet card for Kai. That's what I like so much about making our own cards, we can make them to suit the person and use what they love. She will be happy with this one and happy birthday to her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really super CAS card with that really lovely little owl. Go to the top of the class eh, high praise indeed from the 'in-house critic'

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sweet and I agree that the tiny red heart is just what this needed! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous owl card Di and the little heart really does look fab. I'm sure Kai loved it xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh I love this Di, bet she was well pleased with this! And 10/10 to Mr Len for his contribution ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant card for Kai, Di. I haven't used my SU owl punch for ages, thanks for the inspiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cutie Di is your card for Kai xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.