Wednesday 9 September 2015

Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge 245

I try to play along with Hazel each week and this week's challenge is 'twas the Night Before Christmas'. Quick rootle through the box of received and saved shop-bought Christmas cards turned up a fairly large square card with three Christmas stockings lined up a staircase. I couldn't just slap the card front onto a card blank and call it a day - so I chopped it down to include the sentiment and just one of the stockings:
I used:

- A6 white card blank, the front (only) of which which I scored at approx. three quarters of an inch in from the spine - on the inside of the card - to create a flat spine

- then added a strip of saddle stitched red ribbon down the 'flat spine' using red line double sided tape, folded the ends over to the inside of the card and stuck the spine together with the back part of the card

- layered the cut down upcycled image onto snippets of SU 'Real Red' and also matt gold card and stuck it onto the front of the card

A super fast card which came about from a great idea that Jane brought to the Playground last week. I hadn't seen cards using this 'flat spine' idea before (apart from shop bought cards) and it's a really great way of adding a strip of ribbon or perhaps washi tape to a card and then enclosing it in the spine so that the 'behind the scenes work' is nicely hidden.

This is the card propped slightly open - thanks Jane for a great idea!

I'd also like to enter this card into Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for September. 

Di
x

20 comments:

  1. I lkey this idea too and a noo one on me as well. Love the image you have cut down to reuse. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the different fold and how you made an amazing card from a cut off! Will we be seeing the other stockings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not. The most interest was around the stocking I used, :-)

      Di xx

      Delete
  3. Great idea for a different look Di and the red ribbon is lovely with the layered cut down card topper. Like Bonnie I was wondering about the other stockings. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous card - and you presumably still have two toppers left. Thanks for mentioning my flat spine idea - I'm beginning to think I could have started the Next Big Thing!
    jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might well have done that Jane! It's such a neat way of adding ribbon etc. - love it :-)

      Delete
  5. A fab card and I love Jane's flat spine technique - a great way to hide the ends of ribbon!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card and lovely recycled image. Great idea with the flat spine - will be very useful and definitely a trend setter.

    Another tip if anyone is interested - a matching panel (great use of snippets or even another of those stockings) on the inside front to cover the ribbon ends xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, agree about this one too - although my inside panels are usually just white like the card blank. Tee, hee - I three the stocking leftovers away :)

      Hugs

      Di xx

      Delete
    2. Three? I meant threW!!
      x

      Delete
  7. A lovely Christmas card using the recycled image. Yes that was a great tip from Jane. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recycling idea and tips. Your card is quick and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Diane, thats a great image!
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a minute there I thought you were going to say I'd also like to enter this card into the Snippets Playground, silly me.
    Fab up-cycled card, I have quite a few that I kept from last year and not used any yet,
    Love the spine and the placement of the ribbon.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fabulous card from a lovely reused image. I like the flat spine technique as well and the red ribbon looks great.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, Di--love this upcycled card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card, and wonderful recycle idea. TFS to both you & Jane. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant piece of recycling and hiding the business end of ribbon attaching! Oh nooooo . . . that means I'll have to try this idea out AND use up some precious ribbon!!!! Dammit!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hurray for the recycle panel! It is always so hard to get rid of the super pretty ones once the holiday is over. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful!! And such a great way to recycle a card from Christmas past. The "spine" is a fun touch. Thanks for playing with CHNCC2.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.