Monday 21 November 2011

Hedgehog Acrobat Birthday card

First of all - hedgehogs. The CCTV picked up something on Saturday night in the back garden. Not a very clear image (I've always said that we need to supply stilts for ground level critters to bring them up to a decent height so they can smile for the camera!) but it was enough for Len to call me and say he thought there could be a rat roaming round. Huh, I suspect not - unless it's a rat without a tail and one which has a very round shape and signs of spikes!!

Yup, we suspect it could be a youngish hedgehog :( Poor Len groaned 'Oh no, why is it always us?'. So, out came the feeding bowls, hedgie food etc. again and today and over the next few days we'll be checking closely to see if we do have a little visitor. It'll be difficult to catch a fit hedgehog then whip the scales out to check that it weighs over 600g which is 'hibernation weight' to judge if it should go to the local animal sanctuary or not so there could be some fun and games here. Never a dull moment - I will duly report any progress :))

Anyhow, this card is for my OH's sister-in-law today - Happy Birthday Maureen if you do hop in for a peek!

A little while ago I was sent some stamped PB images by Jules, Headmistress of the Snippets Playground over at 'Always with a Heart'. It came about because I'd loved one particular image she used but, in the way of so many crafters, Jules sent me that one plus a little selection of images and the cutie I used for this card is one of those - I've just searched hundreds of hedgehog PB stamps on the web and found that it's called 'Acrobat'. Thank you again Jules, I think this stamp is going on my wish list to Santa! Here's the result:
I was so much more comfortable being able to choose the papers before colouring the image. Gonna have to think of a way round that one for future holidays - or take some knitting instead :)

I used:

- 6" x 6" white card stock

- Penny Black stamped image 'Acrobat' - coloured with Pro Markers and some 'Lemon Ice' Stickles added to the flower centres

- pink and green plain backing card - Core'dinations

- patterned papers from the 'Bird Song' pack by First Edition. These are truly gorgeous papers, some are 'flittered' with glossy glitter effect almost like embossing and they all co-ordinate so well - I think the pack came from Hobbycraft, or possibly The Range

- sentiment from Craftwork Cards, backed with a larger circle of coloured card

- white guipure lace and baby pink silk ribbon from The Ribbon Girl. I promise you, this silk ribbon is just brilliant, I only had a teensy bit of it left but managed to tie a reasonably decent bow with ease. The pale green (peridot almost) jewelled brad through the knot of the bow is from Wild Orchid Crafts

- brushed pink Josy Rose nail heads

That's my Monday offering, which I'd like to enter into the following challenges:

The Ribbon Girl Challenge # 13 - Pink and White  I know there's also green here but having checked the DTs makes for this challenge some of those have used additional colours with pink and white as well so it should 'pass muster' :)

Penny Black At Allsorts Challenge - November - 'All Creatures Great and Small'

Hope you all have a good week, whatever you have planned. We could be on 'night patrol' here - scales at the ready!

Di
x

18 comments:

  1. Ooh this is GORGEOUS Di. LOVE it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. fab card Di, Love those papers.

    Hope your little hedgie is OK.

    Hugs Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, such a happy little chap. Beautiful colours and colouring too, and yes, I was early in the Playground yesterday, I was waiting at the gate with my face pressed through the bars if you must know!! Hope your own little hedgy is ok for the winter, poor wee chap.

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so gorgeous....love the big pink ribbon bow...loverly...and it's a good job you don't live near to water, or you will be blogging next that you think you have found Nessie!!!! Lol...sorry it's my strange humour...hope the hedgehog is ok....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Di, Sorry Di no can do you will have to finish your own cards which l'm sure you'll manage..........lol Thank you for your comment it feels so good to have done all my christmas cards its the 1st year l have done stamping and colouring the images hard work but the rewards are there seeing them finished as you will know from your own creations and this one is another of those ..........just beautiful love the image and your colouring is beautiful, love the background papers and not forgetting your fabulous bow it's gorgeous :) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Di,

    Love the card. The little hedgehog is balancing so gracefully! And a wild one out in the garden. How adorable!! I hope it weighs what it should, once you catch it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous and sweet, lovely colours!

    Thank you sharing this with us at Penny Black and More, good luck;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card Di, love pink and green together! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute card. It has been years since I have seen a Hedgie round our home! Pity as I like them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup... there it is - another stunning card! It's so adorable!!!

    I haven't seen any hedgies in my new garden (been here 6 years now)... though I have a woodpile in the corner, overgrown bushes, and piles of dry leaves... just in case they come for a visit. I do love little hedgies... but really I want them to visit out garden and gobble up the slugs *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really lovely, so sweet and very cute. A fabulous delicate looking card. Love the papers too.
    Good luck in the challenge.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Di

    Pleased you have put your image to good use. A really beautiful card.

    Love the ribbon and lace you have added.

    Hope you manage to catch and weigh in your "real life" hedgie and that it is good to hibernate (and actually wants to!!).

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely card! Love the image and your coloring is superb, love the background papers and your bow gorgeous!
    Hope your hedgie is and will be okay. I don't understand, shouldn't it be hibernating.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really pretty Di, and I love the acrobat stamp! I'm sure you OJ SIL will love it. Good luck with the hedgie, hope it is ok when you find it. Thanks for joining in with the Ribbon Girl colour challenge. Mary G x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Di, this is just a gorgeous card. Pink and green always look good together and that wee acrobat is too cute. Hope it does turn out to be a hedgehog you're feeding ... a rat does not bear thinking about although I believe we all live rather closer to them than gives me comfort. Off to read your most recent post. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  16. A cute and Pretty creation. Thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge, good luck
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very pretty card Di and very delicate lace.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Penny Black and More this month, good luck with all the prize draws and hope to see you again.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's gorgeous, love the ribbon and lace you've used too Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.