Sunday 14 July 2024

Sunday Snippets - 'Let it Snow'

To be honest, given the mixed weather here, a bit of snow wouldn't really surprise me! This afternoon (Saturday) the rain was coming down in torrents/stair rods. I was almost ready to steal/launch the Playground canoe to take us (Dudley and I) to safety ............ hoping that Len would swim along behind pushing us as we two passengers paddled, bailed and cheered him on! Visions of me in the front with Dudley huddled behind me sheltered from the wind and rain beating out the paddle timings with his paw on a little drum ......... a bit like a dragon boat race really. OK, dream on Di, sometimes I do believe I need help! 😀

So, here's my snippets card for this week:


I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank - side opening

- piece of white card the same size as the card front on which I would build the little scene 

- the 'snowy background' paper is quite flimsy so I added Stick It sheet to the whole of the white panel front. Then covered it with a piece of 'Night Sky Scrap Book Paper' from a NBUS book of papers. Mostly like galaxies but some do resemble falling snow if you select the area on the sheet carefully (bought from Amazon ages ago) 

- only then did I trim the panel size down to 5.25" x 4" - I don't trust my precision when using something like Stick It sheet where you only get the one chance! Then put the panel to one side for now

- grabbed the Altenew Mini die cutting machine and had a little play with red and white snippets of paper and card to die cut the snowman first, with his scarf, hat and patchwork heart. Added the pieces to the snowman and then die cut his nose and pompom for his hat. The eyes were so tiny I just used a fine marker pen for those, as well as for the four little buttons down his front. Such a cute little guy and so reminiscent of a much loved Penny Black stamp. The die set is an unbranded gift from a very kind friend, you know who you are x

- then used snippets of the white and the same red patterned paper (from inside the back of a Marianne Christmas paper pad many years old) to die cut the three word sentiment - by Creative Expressions called 'Festive Shadowed Snetiment - Let it Snow'

- glued the words and backing shadow together using a glue pen then popped them somewhere safe until the next step

- now I knew the 'lie of the land' and the spacings available I could die cut a couple of snowy 'hills' using a Spellbinders die from their 'A2 Curved Borders One' set 

- glued the hills in place (subtle but there are two of them) leaving overhangs at the sides which I then trimmed from behind flush with the trimmed down main 'snowy sky' panel

- then used the snowman to check positioning and glued the sentiment shadowed words in place

- added the snowman to the card front using thin sticky pads and a glue stick, just in case of a 'wobble'

- finally, glued the whole front panel onto the card front - using the ever faithful and forgiving Collall All Purpose glue

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:

- Darnell's NBUS challenge #64 - HERE - the snowman die, sentiment dies and, shame on me, the 'Galaxy' papers were all having its first outing

- Allsorts Challenge #789 HERE - under the 'Anything goes' option

Dudley Pupdate: It's been a fairly uneventful week in Dudley's world. He's heading for his sixth Birthday very soon so I'm working on a card for him whenever he's occupied elsewhere! How sad, hiding the card you're making in case the dog sees it! 

Dudley is obviously a late developer (quiet smile here) as only recently has he actually taken the words 'Bed time' onboard! He immediately scampers off to find his chosen spot out of the few that he moves around during the night. He's quite a restless sleeper and sometimes has the 'night terrors'. Why, we have no idea, but we just calm him down - perhaps let him mooch around the garden and then he settles back down. It could be that he knows the hedgehogs are out and about - they're eating us out of house and home right now and sometimes it seems as if they're having a brawl in the feeding station! I know, or 'doing other stuff' - but we can't feed any more mouths!

Remember, the results from Challenge #483  are now published in the Snippets Playground HERE. 

Hope to see you on the swings for the current challenge as that runs for almost another week. Come ready for all weathers - sunbathing and swimming gear as well as wellies and umbrellas! And a fleece or perhaps even a pair of skis, if you're wise!

Love as always, Dudley and yours truly,




15 comments:

  1. Great card, and Dudley Pupdate! Thank you for joining us at Allsorts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a real fun and cheery Snowman Di, really bring a smile, thanks for sharing him with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    As for the weather, one of Eddy's first jobs 6/7am is check his greenhouses and I then get a weather report, this mornings report was 8deg - July 14th really? I was scheduling a post yesterday which included summer and winter makes and I couldn't decide which to lead with.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew, bet you’re warmer after that card workout! Fabulous job Di 😍. I empathise with Dudley, if he dreams like me…..I have some very weird ones 😂, and I can just imagine the hedgehog parties! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smashing festive make and WTG with those snippets too!

    Poor Dudders with his night terrors, hope they don't occur too often for the little chap

    Happy Snippet Day

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happy chap certainly raised a smile - beautifully composed card as always. The weather has certainly been unpredictable, even needing a change of clothes (or added layers) throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A super cute snowman Di, lovely card. It's quite cool here this morning but will probably be in most of the day anyway watching the men's tennis final :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Di, your post made me smile, although your weather sounds atrocious! I can just see you and Dudley in a canoe....
    Love your card - that's a really cute one.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree although l can remember we did have snow in July some years back l like your story have you thought about being a child's author you would be really good reading what you wrote made me lol and how time has passed Dudley nearing his 6th birthday happy birthday Dudley, your card is gorgeous just love that snowman with a great background too x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sending some sunshine your way - I'm currently in shorts & T-shirt! Absolutely lovely on the South Coast.

    Love this cute snowman and how kind of your friend to send you a gift. Happy post is the best! Great Christmas card using up your snippets. See you on the swings! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute card Di, that lovely snowman makes me smile, as well your dream at open eyes! :D I have just seen in my mind the scene you described with you and Dudley on the canoa and the poor Len swimming and pushing!!
    Dudley about six years so early? OMG! Where time goes? However he is still a little puppy inside himself!
    Lots of cuddles to him and big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cute snowman and love the red patterned paper for the scarf and hat Di, and the blue galaxy paper works brilliantly as a falling snow background...what a lovely friend you have to send you this cutie. I know what you mean about the weather, and it certainly does not feel like summer with plenty of rain to water the gardens, but I suppose it has got time to change but too late for us as we have just come back from two weeks away and can't say we had good weather..extremely variable I think you could say. Sorry to hear Dudley has restless nights with bad dreams..hopefully not too often though. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a fun card and I'd settle for a rainy day as things are dry here. The snow can wait a while though LOL Getting a visual picture of you and Dudley on a canoe with Len pushing is just too funny to imagine LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’ve swapped my Prefect’s badge for my Allsorts GD hat and popped back to say thanks for entering your jolly snowman to the challenge. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card, darling snowman, the scarf and hat are great in red and nice snowy background!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute and happy snowman and lovely festive card, thanks for sharing at Allsorts this week.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.