Sunday 3 March 2024

Sunday Snippets - Lindy's 'Have a Scone Heather'

There's a new Challenge being run by Sarn, over in the Snippets Playground HERE

My snippets card for today used a snippet of Strathmore Mixed Media 'paper' (it's actually heavier than 300 GSM card!) which had been given the Lindy's Magical Shakers treatment:

I used:

- A6 black card blank, tent style (it was a deckle edged card  but I guillotined the very edges off to give a crisper look

- I backed a snippet of 'black velvet' card stock with Stick-It double sided adhesive sheet then die cut it using a Creative Expressions 'Stained Glass Collection' die called 'Butterfly'

- the die doesn't have an outer border, so I just carefully trimmed all four sides of the piece to form one - I chose to trim before doing the die cutting but either way would be fine

- made sure the pink background was trimmed with squared off corners then, with a lot of care, slowly peeled off about a quarter of the backing from the die cut

- lined up the top and one side onto the pink background - you only really get one chance with Stick-It sheets if you're positioning something and it needs to be 'spot on', although they're very slightly less 'instantly stuck in place' easier than (say) Woodware Double sided adhesive sheets

- trimmed the remaining two sides of the pink background to line up and form an even border all round the panel

- used a little snippet of the 'black velvet' card to die cut the 'just because' sentiment (using an Altenew die from the 'Essential Sentiment Strips' set) then glued it onto a larger snippet of the pink background 

- finally, used very narrow double sided foam tape, with a glue stick, to adhere both the image panel and the sentiment in place

There was a lot of trimming during the making of this card! The snippets I had leftover were literally teeny-tiny ones.

The pink background was made during an initial play with Lindy's Magical Shakers - using 'Have a Scone Heather'. The range is called 'Tea & Crumpets' and, importantly, the colours also contain Mica for a gentle shimmer. NB. Not all of Lindy's ranges contain Mica! I did the 'spray with water then sprinkle' technique and then spray a little more. Then my little Mini Mister spray ran out of water so I grabbed a water brush (rather then disturb Dudley who was sleeping with his head on one of my feet!) and just swiped it across the whole piece a few times. It blended the colours more and is an alternative to a more splattered effect.

I'd like to add this card into Darnell's NBUS Challenge #60 HERE. The 'Stained Glass' die and also the Lindy's 'Have a Scone Heather' shaker were having a first outing.

One day, when I'm at a loose end with enough time to think about peeling a bunch of grapes, I'll dig out a ton of brightly coloured snippets and use the stained glass die to create a glorious piece of art work! One day, I said!

Dudley Pupdate: We have a fun week ahead of us. First of all, Dudley needs a bit of hand trimming done by yours truly, then he will have a bath as that's overdue with Len having been unwell. And then, to put the icing on the cake for the little chap - next Saturday he's off to the vet for his annual vaccinations and check up. That entails a first ride in his new doggy car seat - just to add some sprinkles on top of the icing - he absolutely hates going anywhere by car. We have to whisper all of this to one another - he'd be frantically packing his little back pack to run away from home otherwise! Wish us luck!

With love from Dudley and myself, 




16 comments:

  1. Love this card! I will have to see if Lindy's Magical Shakers are available near me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card Di, can’t wait to see your stained glass masterpiece 😂 , go on, you know you want to! Good luck with Dudley, and make sure you and Len get plenty of rest in between! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pretty card. Lovely in pink and black with a bit of shimmer.

    Good luck getting Dudley sorted!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card which must be spectacular in real life. Brave use of sticky sheets too because they must need VERY careful handling especially with a large and intricate die cut. Hope the excitement with Dudley this coming week doesn't wear you both out - take it as easily as possible and I hope no-one warns him 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stained glass card looks fabulous! I love those beautiful colors. I had to chuckle, when my daughter was young, she would not eat a grape until she carefully peeled it first. It kept her busy for quite some time eating a tiny bit of fruit Good luck with the vet visit coming up too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous stained glass die Di and a fantastic effect with the magical shake! Wow what a great job lining it up and trimming evenly .. I always end up with wonky borders however hard I try. I could do with some of the W R Memory Keepers border guides but I tend to swerve using a craft knife as I’m so clumsy .. it probably wouldn’t end well lol!
    Pauline xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Di,
    oh this is such a brilliant card and very beautiful design also.
    Love the stain glass design and the gorgeous background used on it.
    You always have such very unusual ways to use your snippets up.
    Good luck with the Vet visit spoken very quietly in case someone is listening. aka Dudley.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very elegant and so shimmering card Di, wow! Great stained glass design and you have been so good to adhere it with the sticky sheet! I always have problem with them and prefer glue! I'm not too much careful with adesive sheets!
    Poor Dudley (and poor you! LOL) it seems that the next week will be one to remember! :D
    You made me laugh with the image of Dudley with his little back pack that run away from home! :D
    Make him my usual lots of cuddles! Hugs and love to you!
    Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Di your card is so lovely love the stained glass design so elegantly done too lol lovely to read about Dudley my cat is the same she isn't too good traveling in the card hope all goes well at the vets l don't like injections myself so it won't be pleasant for Dudley sending lots of hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very pretty Magicals background Di and the added black Butterfly stained glass window die cut in black, and also the die cut sentiment treated in the same way both stand out beautifully over the pink...a gorgeous card. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful. What a great idea to use the die like this, it does look like a stained glass window. As you know I like to piece dies like this and you've given me an idea now! I do like jigsaws. L x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so lovely Di - a beautiful finished look!
    Sounds like you are in for a fun time with Dudley over the next few days (not).
    You made me smile with your peeling grapes comment.
    Hope you had a good weekend.
    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with Dudley's ministrations coming up! Bless him! He and Nellie are different when it comes to the car; when she hears, "ride in the car?" she goes beside herself jumping and hopping and zooming with excitement. It's odd because when she gets in the car, she just lays on her towel and zones out. I've never seen a dog that doesn't care about looking out the window. Well, unless it's a short ride and I'm holding her up.

    Sorry, we do love our doglets and love talking about them! But that's not the reason I called. Your stained glass design was worth all the effort, Di! I know how it shimmers in real life! And I love that we were both using our Lindy's Magicals at the same time, only I tried painting with mine! I noted in my post about how I think it would be great to use them to paint a stained glass image. Freaky, sister! Same wave lengths! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! I'm also going to pin this to my I.D.E.A.S. Board. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, yup, your card is gorgeous. Love the color. Best of luck with Dudley and hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely card Di and it would look fabulous as a stained glass panel!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.