Sunday 5 July 2020

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Challenge #380 - results

 
Still having a mixture of heat and also rain here - quite a nice balance really. Len is signed up to an on line weather radar system and can time Dudley's walks almost to the very minute, in between showers. Very useful when the weather is so changeable.

Now our microwave is playing up - so we have a new one arriving on Monday. Thank goodness for on line ordering plus companies who take your old appliance away for recycling/disposal.

Let's move straight into this fortnight's picks:
What a great card this is, made by Janice - such a perfect way to use up snippets strips and a very clever secret to the technique. It's one I want to try for sure - and if you hop over to Janice's blog HERE, she has a link for you to see just how it's done. It's a YouTube video and you need to skip to about 20 minutes from the start, and although it's quite a long section of the video it's well worth watching. Thanks for this Janice - I rather think we might have a few similar cards popping up in the Playground as the black lines are such a great twist!

Sue, of Zouave Cards, brought this card to share with us. Two very similar ones in fact - for twin boys. I have a feeling that I may have had a 'pick' a good while ago using this idea and Sue herself acknowledged that it's been around for a while as an idea - but it's such a super one to be reminded of - and of course a smashing way to use up some brightly coloured snippets! Love those dear little feet as well.

I love this card, made by Kitty. All the snippets used for this fabulous rainbow of butterflies are die cut from saved scraps of alcohol ink backgrounds. What a stunning result against the crisp white panel and the embossed background. Absolutely lovely work Kitty!

And last, but by no means least, I had to share a fourth card with you - made by Jane W. I think Jane always comes up with some really fun ideas for her cards, and this is no exception - certainly raised a smile here. UK gals will recognise a good old Jammy Dodger biscuit - there's been many a fight over tins of mixed sweet biscuits at Christmas time as it's often one of the sought after favourites! This looks so realistic - right down to the glistening 'jam' centre - not to mention a bite missing. So realistic and very clever work Jane!

So, that's my picks and I do hope they've given you some inspiration for ways in which you can use up some of your own snippets. 

We had 52 entries in total, and no new Playmates this time.

Now for the prize draw, which is for a Clearly Besotted 'Best Balloons' set of stamps and a matching 'Best Balloons' set of dies.  And the winner is:
Congratulations Suzanne! I'm practically sure that this is your first win in the Playground - so double congratulations! Please send me your address, with your full name at the top as well so I can copy and paste for speed and ease. It's also confirmation that you still would like the prize of course and I'll do my best to post your prize later this coming week. Please put Playground Winner or similar in the subject line of your email in case it drops into my junk mail. Email address is on RH sidebar as always.

Remember folks, there's still almost another week to run on Challenge #381 - you can find it HERE. The prize is a 'Deco Roses' image stamp and a set of 'Deco Sentiments' - both by Woodware.

AND, there's been a load of interest in this particular Woodware prize, so I hunted around, found the same stamps on another on line website ..... and snapped up two more of each one. Which means you now have a total of three chances to be a winner - but you're still only allowed to enter one snippets make in the challenge of course!

Managed to post off the Shammy prizes this past week, two UK (which might well have arrived by now) and Janis's one to the USA. And have also got my head round Royal Mail's 'Click  and Drop' service for overseas - and may even use it for UK prizes if the need arises. As Kath says, it's so easy ......... when you know how - plus, during the current crisis, you actually get a week's grace to post your letter/package. Normally it's by close of business the following working day. How good to see some common sense and recognition that folk  may still want to limit their outings.

UK restrictions are being eased once again, and this one is quite a big step forward with the opening of pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants amongst the list. I think this is potentially a 'tipping point' if folk don't adhere to the social distancing rules - but of course we have to move forward in order to return to some form of 'new normality'. Needless to say - we won't be rushing to join in. The scenes on our, South Coast in particular, beaches were so irresponsible during the recent hot weather. I really felt for the people who live in these places and only hope the sun worshippers didn't take the virus with them to share it out. We'll know more as time passes and things are gradually eased. I most certainly won't be contemplating travelling in a germ ridden tube with wings on it for the foreseeable future - masks or no masks! Nor, as a friend so rightly said, in a 'floating petri dish' :)

Our hairdressers will be opening up again, as of yesterday (Saturday) I think, but to be honest I'm not unduly worried about booking an appointment there either. Having Dudley groomed was the most important thing on our list and so long as I trim my fringe every now and then, the rest is doing OK. Mostly as I don't have my hair coloured or layered I suspect. That would probably be a whole different ball game. Something to be said for having a dead straight bob - even if I end up looking like Cousin IT eventually!
Cousin Itt -- Itt Addams is the cousin of Gomez Addams. He is a short being whose entire body is shrouded by long hair. When Gomez asks Cousin Itt what is underneath all the hair, Cousin Itt replies, "Roots". Los Addams, Addams Family Tv Show, Charles Addams, Best Hair Straightener, The Munsters, Kids Laughing, Best Shampoos, Hair Raising, Old Tv Shows

Love from Parsnip, a happy wave and woof from Dudley - and of course hugs as always from me. Stay safe - and keep on crafting.



20 comments:

  1. Some great picks as always. I think you are right to remain cautious about the latest relaxation of the restrictions - there is fringe snipping going on here too and the cousin It look fast approaching!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great top picks Di!! The pic is awesome. He (or she??) really needs a haircut!!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Di - thanks for picking my card - off to check out Janice’s card now !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous picks Di and congratulations to Suzanne too.

    I'm glad to hear you've got to grips with Click and Drop. We went for a coffee at our favourite cafe bar yesterday morning. We know the owners well and wanted to support them on their opening day. We felt happy being there (I suspect I wouldn't say the same for an evening pub) but it was a very different experience. Bookings and table service only, and lots more staff cleaning everything to within an inch of its life. I'm not rushing back to the hairdressers as I'm happy with Steve cutting it for me (although I will at some point go back for it to be trimmed evenly!)

    Stay safe.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab top picks and congrats to Suzanne. I love Cousin IT!!! The beach bums were so horrendous. I couldn't believe how they packed themselves in, but to leave tons and tons of rubbish was just loutish. People seem to have turned their brains off. You are so right to stay home and keep safe. Take care Di. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your picks are all really fun, and show such great different ways to use snippets. I’m glad you found an easier way to post the prizes! It is a relief isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for my friend, Suzanne, on the awesome win! YAY!
    So funny, Di, about Cousin It. My hair has always been long
    and was a bit below my waist when I got married 26 years ago.
    But I had since worn it shorter - maybe to the middle of my back.
    Well, it's now below the waist again cuz I am not rushing to
    the hairdresser either. lol And like you, I don't color it and
    it's as straight as an arrow. But I may look like Cousin It
    a bit before you do!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Great pic of IT... I was suppose to get my hideous hair done on Friday... made the appointment a month ago... and they say... "Oh.. we don't have you in here?!?!". WHAT!?!?! Luckily they moved some things around because they could tell I was upset and I go tomorrow :) My hair is currently half blond and half DIRTY blond.
    LOVE KITTY's Butterfly Card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great picks, Di--lots of inspiration! Being careful is the only way. The virus isn't gone despite people being tired of taking precautions! I thought our state was doing so great & now cases are way up including towns near us. So frustrating! We could have reopened long ago if the right things had been done in the beginning. Now we could stay open if people weren't so selfish. It was Sad 4th of July, not Happy 4th of July. Thank goodness there are citizens doing what is needed even when officials are failing us! I was feeling desperate for a haircut & color, but not at all sure I'll go back. Like you said--the puppydog is the priority, so we won't make him go too long again. Love the picture--needed a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful picks Di and congratulations Suzanne enjoy your win - my daughter has just opened her business (Hair Salon) extremely busy and many appeared looking like the photo 🤣xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, many thanks for choosing my card Di as one of your picks, I will certainly be making more to get through my vast stash of snippets! Congratulations to Suzanne too. Hair appointment booked for Wednesday... I can’t wait!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picks Di and did take a look at the You Tube for the scrappy strip card and a great card using them from Janice. I love the other clever snippety uses too and do have a soft spot for a jammy dodger myself..lol, I don't use lots of paper but have pads going way back and may well find some oddments inside them to give the strip card a go. Congratulations to Suzanne for winning the prize this time and glad your 'click and drop' postage is working well. I laughed at your photo, and luckily I don't look like that yet..lol but will be glad to get something done soon though I will probably leave it for a bit to see how things work before rushing off to make an appointment. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely picks, great ideas and Kitty's card is adorable!
    Big congrats to Suzanne!
    You made me laugh with the photo of Cousin IT :D
    Famous Italian doctors say that the virus now is very weak and it make no die.
    But TV and media again and again say different, because we all HAVE TO BE VACCINATED, even if the damages caused by the vaccine aren't tested, because Governments paid a bunch (of our money!) to have it. The big pharmaceutical lobbies make the good and the bad weather in all the world by a lot of years. Sorry if my words are unpopular, but this is the truth that a lot of people know. In Italy we are loosing all our rights and freedoms, not only for a little time, but forever, because government is changing a lot of things during this emergency time, even if there is no more emergency. Now a lot of people have no more their works, no more money, and can't survive.
    For fear of dying we are giving up everything... even to live.

    Hugs... and cuddles to the sweet Dudley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous picks, Di. Congrats to the winners xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for including me among the picks - fab makes as always! I didn't dash off to the pub at the weekend but I did dash off to visit my daughter, it was lovely to be able to see them indoors at last where we could inspect their new kitchen and listen to the grandchildren's piano skills (they've come on a long way during lockdown). I've got a hair cut booked for a couple of weeks from now but from the list of instructions and precautions they've sent it appears I'm going to have to wear full PPE! Better safe than sorry though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great picks for snippets ideas. Thanks so much for the reminder on my Flickr. I'm behind in my blog reading, I'm off to email you now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woot, woot! Thanks so much for choosing my card as one of your favourites, Di! That is wonderful - you made my day! Big congrats to my friend Suzanne on the win - Yay! I enjoyed looking at everyone's cards and getting more ideas for using my snippets!

    Sounds like you've got a good thing going with the Mail Click and Drop. I have been keeping watch for my package from you and will let you know as soon as it gets here. The mail is very slow all around.

    Many of the restrictions have been lifted here and new cases of the virus have been very low. As of yesterday, there are only 5 active cases in Nova Scotia, and they are not in our region. Someone from the U.S. with the virus travelled to Nova Scotia on their way to another nearby province, so that person is on forced quarantine under federal law for two weeks in a hotel. Our Premier was very frustrated that this happened so they are tightening border security even more. Time will tell if that person spread it to anyone before being discovered. Brian and I still only go out for necessities. Masks have not been made mandatory yet but they keep talking about it during the provincial covid briefing.

    Stay safe and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All those top picks are fabulous - definitely worthy of featuring!
    Stay safe in these easing restrictions - Here in Melbourne we are back in lockdown - I wish I had taken the opportunity of having my hair cut in the short window between this and the last one. Although the hairdressers are open I am not really inclined to go. I have spent a lot of time this week making masks but they are so awful to wear!!
    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations to the winner and top picks! Wow do I love Kitty's butterfly design...will have to tuck that idea back in my crafty brain compartment for a wonderful use of snippets!

    I was able to get my hair cut once the hair salons opened, and it's a good thing I did because now they are closing down again. I haven't been out besides going to the doctor and once to buy groceries, so it was rather nerve-wracking to go to the salon. Just got a quick cut, since I don't go the cut and color route, and we both wore masks the whole time.
    Who would have guessed the pandemic would be having an upsurge after 6 months in the US...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.