Sunday 13 October 2019

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Challenge #363

I did post on Thursday, apologising for not being on top of commenting, due to the fact we've been down to Cornwall for a relaxing week in a cottage right on the edge of Bodmin Moor, very close to the Cheesewring for those of you who might know the area. I'll add more further down this post, including a video of Dudley - if I can get it to upload!

Another bit of an apology, a bit of bad planning on my part means we have another (albeit different)  'underwater' scene for my snippets card and prize again. It's Len's Birthday this coming Tuesday and the day after we got home I shut myself in the craft room to make a card from me, as well as one from Dudley (which will appear later). And my card is this fortnight's snippets offering:
I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank, tent style

- I had a snippet of Tim Holtz 'Sparkle' card inked with shades of turquoise, handily lying on my desk so I trimmed it to size as the background and stuck it onto the card front using Collall All Purpose Glue

- next used a snippet of white card onto which I stamped the manatees, bubbles, a few other little elements and also the sentiment words I chose - using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and of course the Misti. They all came from the Lawn Fawn 'Manatee-rific' set of stamps, which I've had for ages with Len's Birthday in mind

- coloured them using Pro markers, then die cut them using the matching set of dies and just cut the sentiment strips freehand - popped them into a little plastic dish for safekeeping as I'm a dab hand at losing small dies and die cuts these days

- then die cut the main frame with the 'sea grass' using the biggest die from Lawn Fawn's 'Bayou Backdrop' set of dies and a snippet of green card. In reality, the 'sea grass' is supposed to hang down from the top of the frame like overhanging trees over water, as in a bayou - I've written a little bit below about how this idea came about as I did have some inspiration with the idea of adding an extra touch of green shading to the 'sea grass' using a sponge dauber and an 'Old Olive' SU ink pad before removing the die cut from the piece of green card 

- then, using the same source of inspiration, I die cut the same frame again from a snippet of white card and carefully snipped the 'sea grass' away from the frame leaving just a white, rectangular, stitched frame, which I glued onto the green frame

- glued the whole frame onto the card front

- then added the manatees and other elements using a glue pen

- finally, added the sentiment strips using red line tape

And that was Len's card all done, in the nick of time. And here's why I chose to make this card. A good few years ago we went to Sentosa island, just off Singapore, to visit Underwater World and were totally entranced by a 'dugong', which is a close relative of the manatee - not the same but still a close relative. She was one of the gentlest creatures I've ever seen, called Gracie, and we both fell in love with her - Len especially. I've written here about him swimming with a sea otter in Thailand. She had been rescued as a baby when her mother was sadly drowned after being tangled in fishing nets off Singapore and lived for a good few years in Underwater World where she was so loved and well cared for. Much as it's not usually right to keep any wild creature in captivity, IMHO, Gracie wouldn't have survived if she'd been released back into the wild without her Mum to guide her.

I used both the boy and the girl manatees on Len's card - the girl is supposed to be offering some 'greens' to her chap, and it'll probably make him smile.

As I said, I'd had the Manatee stamps and dies for ages and whilst half asleep in the early hours one morning, suddenly remembered I'd seen a Lawn Fawn die (the 'Bayou Backdrop'), which I then thought could be flipped and used as sea grass. Imagine my surprise when a bit of Googling turned up a card almost identical to what I had in mind - someone had beaten me to the idea, and even used the manatees stamps and dies! That blogger turned out to be a lady in the UK called Laura and she has a great blog! She's full of ideas and also has tons of useful videos as well - you can reach her blog HERE. And also see how similar my card is to hers HERE. Huge thanks Laura for the inspiration for the little extra touches I hadn't thought of. I did end up with a fairly close CASE of Laura's card, but have already been in touch - and of course this won't go into a challenge. And Laura was lucky enough to swim with manatees in the wild - what an experience that must have been.

The prize this fortnight is a bit of a bumper one:

A Lawn Fawn 'Manatee-rific' set of stamps with matching dies - plus a Lawn Fawn 'Bayou Backdrop' set of dies - on this occasion I will split the prize - the 'Manatee-rific' stamps and dies as one part and the 'Bayou Backdrop' as the other part. However, the whole bundle can be won as one prize if you prefer that. Just say so in a comment - and please feel free to play for the whole bundle as they do compliment one another so well. Love that the manatee set can be used for so many occasions by switching the sentiments around.

As always, the Snippets Challenge will run for two weeks and the Playground gates will close at 11am UK time on Saturday 26th October. The gates will open again at midnight UK time on the same day.

It's a maximum of ONE entry, please say in a comment if you wish to play and be a possible winner of the prize. Please also link back to the Playground in your blog post to be eligible for the draw.

Remember, if you link into the Playground and don't say clearly that you want to be in the draw in a comment on here, then you will be bypassed if your name comes out of Mr Linky. I'm sure you all know I ask for a positive 'yes' on the blog post itself - just in case you're only playing for fun - otherwise I don't add you to my little list.

And a little more about our week in Cornwall. The cottage was (as we already knew) quite 'compact', solid granite and also warm and cosy - it was a converted piggery and we'd seen the conversion being started about 14 years ago when we stayed in a different cottage at the same farm.  We were high up on the edge of Bodmin Moor (abut 300 metres high) and could usually see for miles across the valley. The cottage was very privately situated with a fenced in garden so we could let Dudley have a good old romp around. Len still kept a very close eye on him, the drop at the far end of the garden was around 20 feet, had Dudley managed to wriggle his way out. We were also very conscious that he had to be kept away from any long grass as, during our Advantix scare, we'd shampooed the area along his back where it had been applied - leaving him potentially vulnerable.

So, there's a little video clip below which I really hope you can see. I took the video using my Canon camera, standing just outside the panoramic sliding doors at the front of the cottage. You can hear the radio playing in the background if you turn the sound up - also some noise being made by Len and Dudley :)  Len was keeping Dudley on the move and away from any long grass at the edges. AND, for his grand finale, Dudley decided to sign off by crouching to have a wee - before trotting a little bit further and doing a little encore! He's never, ever lifted his leg when going to the toilet - and it's very endearing. He always turns around and looks a bit surprised to see what's going on as well, silly dog! He was fascinated by the sheep in the field below needless to say.

I'm so glad you finally get to see Dudley in 'play zoomies' mode!


If you have any problem viewing then here's the URL which will take you to YouTube - had to upload it there before being able to embed it into the blog. What a palaver, I take my hat off to folk who add videos to their blogs on a regular basis! If it works then I do have more footage, perhaps for next week, which pans around showing the distant tin mine shafts etc as well as more 'zoomies'.

And finally, we were fast asleep but I have permission from Lyn and John (the owners) to add their photo of the sunrise we would have seen from the cottage garden. It was taken one morning from their farmhouse .............. whilst we three were still giving it the big Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's!!
 Image may contain: cloud, sky, twilight, nature and outdoor

Lots of love from us all - Parsnip, Dudley and of course me,


57 comments:

  1. Cute card. We have lots of manatees here in Florida. A Happy Birthday to Len next week.

    The video of Dudley doing the zoomies is exactly what I imagined. So fun to watch.

    Yes, for the prize if I get a chance to play. I only have hundreds of snippets to use. [Bunny]`

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I forget, YES PLEASE to this fabulous prize pack!

    Well I, for one, don't mind another underwater card and prize when it's as adorable as this one! Love how you used that bayou die to make sea grass as well. Don't you just love it when a die does double-duty? Your story about seeing the rescued dugong in real life. My daughter had a stuffed toy manatee as a child and we always got a kick out of seeing them on film and TV, and then finally saw one in a aquarium attraction. They are apparently really gentle, in spite of their size.

    As for Dudley doing his zoomies...oh my goodness! I love to see the pure joy as he tears around the lawn and expresses his inner herding-dog instincts! His hair flying behind him makes him look like he's moving faster than the wind.

    Happy birthday to Len..he'll love his card. Can't wait to see what Dudley gives him, and I do hope he signs it with a paw print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! So fun we had such similar ideas. Your card turned out great ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful cart for Len. Sending him Happy Birthday wishes. What a lovely newsy and busy post this is and the video is brilliant. Dudley obviously enjoyed his holiday and I guess you did too. shame you missed that spectacular dawn view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card for Len, Di, and Dudley certainly burns up the energy with his zoomies!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing card. Love the scene you have created. Wonderful dies you have used. Yes for the prize please.
    Such a fun video and beautiful photo too.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs, Valerija xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cutie Di that's the card and Dudley l watched the video and he's just so gorgeous enjoy your weekend only playing for fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have made such a pretty card with this sweet manatee couple, and the accompanying dies to cut them are so useful too, and the Bayou Backdrop frames it beautifully, and I love that gorgeous blue background to show it all off. I am definitely a 'yes please' for the whole prize Di if I manage to get my card in, which I didn't this time as I was away in Yorkshire most of this last week so ran out of time. Thank you for such a generous one which can be used in lots of different ways together and separately. We saw a dugong at Sydney Aquarium and they are so different from any other creature, quite big and gliding slowly through the water...I must admit I was entranced. This is a great card for Len's birthday and I bet he loved it! The video of Dudley's zoomies really made me laugh...he is such a little character, no wonder you love him so much, and glad you had a lovely time in Cornwall. We have been to that area ourselves and there is quite a view. We had a week away in Cornwall near Looe in September and thoroughly enjoyed it. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back again with my card and it is a 'yes please' for the prize (or part of it if you have to split). I reckon Harvey (the chocolate lab) would be a bit too large to play safely with Dudley!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your card Di, such a cute pair of creatures. Gosh imagine swimming with them, that would be just wonderful.
    Your prizes are so generous, so very kind of you.
    Great video of Dudley, he's having so much fun, must be such a relief after him being so poorly. Hope your Sunday is going good, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi DI!
    You made s.uch a wonderful cartfor Le. Happy birthday!
    I love to see the pure joy od Dudley. So fun to watch :-) Our dog is celebrating his 11 th birthday today.
    Sending you a big hug, Majda
    And yes please for the prize this tim :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fab prize! YES! IN! Please! Fingers crossed!
    And OMG Dudley and Maddie need to ZOOM together! She does the SAME THING! Looks like a fab vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to Len and what a fab fun card you made for him Di. Oh yes please to this great prize! I'm delighted that you got away with Dudley, what a lucky boy he is. Such a fun video. I love Cornwall so much we must get back there one day. Take care and thanks, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES please Di, include me in. Happy Birthday to Len. I think you mis-named Dudley, he should be called Zoom! CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your card Di...and the story behind it!
    Your video of Dudley's zoomies is so fun!
    Helen x

    PS - I'm a 'yes please' for the prize draw.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes Please to this great prize . Manatees are one of my favorites, and that scene is adorable. I tend to like animals that are kind of funny looking..like manatees and cabyberas.
    I love that video of Super-Dudley, having more fun on his vacation than seem fair! My two little girls watched the video THREE times, and kept laughing as he zoomed around in the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's official . . . Zoomies are FUN! Thanks for sharing the pup's delight.

    Very cute and clever Manatee card . . . And a lovely prize.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab card, story, pix and video of Dudders and his "zoomees" too, Just uploaded my make - JUST PLAYING FOR FUN THIS WEEK

    Happy Monday

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I am playing for the prize. Cute Dudley running happily in such beautiful landscape there! Love the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, please include me in your draw, Di. Delightful card and cute video of Dudley. Nice sunrise as well! Have a great week and thanks for the challenge! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute card, and great to see Dudley too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Di....LOVE your card!!! That shimmery blue background is fabulous!!! Happy Birthday to Len :) That zoomie video is priceless, love it when my puppers does it....all I can do is sit and laugh at the pure joy....and alllllll that energy (I so wish he'd share some of it!!) Yes please to the prize.....I'd be more than happy to share, though....but would love the background die :)
    Susan Sudbury

    ReplyDelete
  23. A super cute card and lovely holiday photos too. I'll be in the playground soon but just playing for fun this time.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super card, Di, such a cute scene, I especially love the 'Bayou Backdrop' die. I'm a Yes Please for both parts of the prize.

    I love the video clip of Dudley - does he ever run out of energy?! Shame you missed the sunrise IRL, but what a fabulous photo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am sorry it is quite a long time since I have joined in with your snippets challenge but things got a bit busy for me for a while. I am so glad you had a good holiday and can't Dudley run fast? I don't imagine there is any catching him when he wants to go. Yes please for bayou backdrop prize xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Di

    Stranger alert! So much happening at my end I'm not even sure what day of the week it is anymore!! LOL!!

    Actually made it here though .. .. yay!!

    Loving your card for Len. I hope he had a lovely birthday and you did something good to celebrate.

    Love your holiday video. Looks like Dudley had a great time!! Hope you and Len did too.

    Just playing for fun.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the card Di and its great to see Dudley looking so well, Hope you are good,

    Lilian

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Di I loved that video.. how funny the cute white fluff ball is!
    It was so funny watching him round and round, and round again. Lovely card too, well done!!
    Will say no thanks to your generous and wonderful prize. I've used your sugar pea prize today. I do love it. I've two wee nativity stamps to mail to you. Must do it soon.

    Thanks for being a blessing, and may God bless you too.
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the challenge. Yes for the prizes or part of it if you have to split.Blessings, Elly

    ReplyDelete
  30. Adorable sweet card for your hubby, loved reading about the manatee baby Grace and especially loved watching Dudley in action!! :D How fun and cute!!! :D
    Surely your vacation has been fabulous :)
    I don' know if I could find time to play in the challenge, my life is too much BUSY!!! :(
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a wonderful memory your sweet card for Len must have evoked, Di! Really awesome design! I had to watch the video AGAIN! I can't get enough of Dudley zooming around his pal, Len!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Di, great to see Dudley looking so well and he sure did have a blast!!

    Cute creation for this week's playground. I will be uploading my card soon, and it is definitely a YES PLEASE for the prize/s.

    Hugs from Finland,
    Eemeli

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing card and prizes. Please count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, gorgeous card, love those manatees!!!!! How delightful to see Dudley have so much fun!!!! Playing for fun as I already won not too long ago! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are becoming queen of the underwater scene Di! This one is adorable and I love the story behind it. It's so lovely to be able to make cards that are truly personal isn't it.

    I shall say YES PLEASE! to the draw and a big thank you for running these amazing prize draws.

    I used to holiday around Bodmin - Tavistock and further down across the border into Cornwall. It's so beautiful around there! It sounds just the ticket for you all to let your shoulders down and I can see that Dudley needed no encouragement to do so! Is there anything cuter than a pup with the zoomies?!

    Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a sweet card, Di, and I loved watching Dudley.
    I'll be linking up my card shortly, but I'm just playing for fun thi stime.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an adorable card you've made Di - yes, yes, YES to going into the hat, I need those manatees in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy Birthday to Len! You've made him an adorable card! I love underwater scenes - this is gorgeous! I am planning to play along this playground - I haven't been crafting or blogging much but I need to get my act together - I have lots of snippets to use up! I'm definitely a YES to this awesome prize! I really enjoyed your Dudley video - why couldn't I have that much energy?!! Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed your trip - the area where you stayed was absolutely beautiful! Thank you for your Snippets Challenges and your generosity in prizes - this one certainly is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your card is perfect for Len, after hearing the stories of your previous adventures! I love, love, love the video of Dudley zooming in that beautiful green grass and it makes me want another dog. So glad you had a fun get away and that sunrise photo is magnificent! TFS! Playing just for fun this week, but thanks for another Snippets Playground!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very cute card! You come up with some very cool cards! I would like to enter my card and play for the prizes! Thank you so much! Craftyhairlady

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous card, Di! I love that sparkly background and the manatees are so cute. I would love love love to win this prize! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh what adorable manatees card, Di and such a fun video of Dudley. He's just goregous. Yes for the prize, but only manatees.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh well, I entered, finally!! :D In the last weeks I was too busy for commenting, photographing, writing posts, posting and entering in the challenges.
    Yes for the prize, please.
    Many cuddles to Dudley and Parsnip, hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  44. That's a fabulous prize Di - would love to win it! It's been ages since I have popped by I'm afraid...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your card Di - that is such innovative use of the die to make the seaweed.
    Yes please to the prize
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  46. Yes, put me in the draw. Wonderful prize this time.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Tossing my hat in the ring for the prize this time (unlike I usually do!) Great card, Di, and congrats to Len on his birthday. Dudley is his usual darling self. Love the video and the sunset photo you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm in!! Love your sea cow card. Always thought these animals were fascinating. I remember looking at that bayou background a few times but it never quite made it in the basket, so yes please to include me in the draw. Glad you had nice holibobs. Bodmin Moor always brings up images of fog, hounds and escapees......... Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love your cards, just been catching up as late playing this time. Dudley is so cute running around and happy belated birthday to Len. Playing just for fun this time x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thoroughly enjoyed the video, Di! Your card is darling! I'll play just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great post Di... full of fun stuff for all the family :-) Happy birthday wishes to Len, he must have loved that card! Yes please for the prize too - such a cute card.
    Give Dudley a tummy rub from me, I miss my boy so much when I see pics like that of Dudley advertising his wares... that was one of Rocky's party tricks, lol... we were going to get him a tatoo saying "rub here" :-) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  52. We love our gentle giant Manatee's here in Florida! A lovely card, Di. Cute scene. I don't have much from Lawn Fawn - I'd love to win this darling set. ;-) And I'm going to try to link up my make, but if it doesn't work (again!), here is my link for your much appreciated help!!! :-) https://www.flickr.com/photos/133625822@N05/48952225753/in/dateposted-public/

    ReplyDelete
  53. YES, please! I love the concept of using snippets, and it's something I do a lot. I encourage others to do it as well, and I always try to demonstrate creative and fun new ways to incorporate snippets. I'd also love to be a guest designer some time. Thanks for a FUN challenge!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a happy scene with super cute image and dies. love it!
    Really enjoyed watching this fun video!
    And Yes for both the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  55. such a clever design, wow.
    stunning photo and I love this video, so cute!
    yes for the prize please.
    crafty hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.