Wednesday 17 July 2019

Oh deer - I think I over dosed on deer!

A while ago, in one of the Facebook 'craft de-cluttering' groups I'm in, I spotted a bargain load of Nordic themed Christmas papers for sale. And, one design with little deer across really stood out - as the memory of a deer die I bought late in 2018 came to mind.

And this is what I ended up making - times 12! Mostly because I wanted to make the most of some of the sheets of paper along with the die I'd remembered - and (being truthful) am realistic enough to know that I'd be unlikely to repeat the same design if I didn't battle on and make a big batch first time round:
I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" off-white card blanks, side opening for a change. I chose the off-white as it was less stark against the backing paper

- the 'slightly Nordic' paper (it's quite heavy duty although I have no idea of the make), trimmed slightly smaller than the card front and glued in place

- an oval shape die cut using a Spellbinders die and more of the off-white card stock

- lots of snippets of very slightly metallic deep rusty red card stock, backed with 'Stick-It' and then die cut using a deer from the MFT 'Deer Love' set of dies

- peeled the backing off and adhered the die cut deer to the oval panel, then ran it through the Cuttlebug to make sure it was well stuck down

- then just filled in the eye with a black fine liner pen and also drew his black nose. There are tiny little dies in the set to use for the nose and eye, but by this time I was flagging .............. just a tad

- decided not to add a sentiment

- glued the oval panel onto the card front (all 12 of them) - and then went and lay down under the desk with Dudley for a rest!

Still, it bumped up my target a bit - now have 55 cards in the Christmas card box. Very unlikely I'll get away with not having to resort to some shop bought cards this year - although a friend did just point out that when she did the same, folk were wondering what they'd done not to be sent a hand made card. Ooopsie! My hope is to be able to send hand made cards to crafting friends and some close friends/relatives only - and shop bought ones to the rest, but we'll see how things go.





27 comments:

  1. I have the same NBUS. Hopefully you've inspired me to get cracking on mine. I love the papers you used. Very cute. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Di, a fun card with the Nordic papers and all those deer running across the cards, it looks great without a sentiment too. I had some one ask why they didn't get a handmade card one year and I had to explain that I had broken my wrist and crafting had been on hold for several months whilst in plaster and recovering... who knew people could be disappointed like that? Have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super card, the backing paper is perfect with that die. But *gulp* 12 cards at once! I've only done that a couple of times (and weddings were involved) and I start to get bored halfway through the second or third, I don't think I could keep it up for a whole 12 without the motivation of seeing a daughter walk up the aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've paired up the die and papers beautifully and well done for making so many. I'm afraid batch making isn't for me so I'm in awe of your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card - your die cut deer matches the papers perfectly.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cute die is so perfect with that gorgeous paper! Such a wonderful card and cool you made 12. I am behind with my Christmas cards - 4 so far - whoops! Must get cracking. Hugs xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great card and a wonderful one to batch bake, Di :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a DEER card! Lovely festive make Di . . . great use of both the papers and the NBUS die. Congrats on bumping your festive hoard by 12!

    I'm going to be doing EXACTLY what you described about who gets what type of card this year!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab card Di - wish I had made 55 cards..... not one yet!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab card Di...and yes I know what you mean about making more than one in a design...if you don't do it straight away..you dont do it!..and even when we are stuck for ideas!!...maybe then we think it's cheating...lol . Anyway you have 55 more C cards than I do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that dp couldn't be a better match with the deer, such a pretty look Di, and a great batch make too. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Di your card is gorgeous. I love the paper and the deer. They go so well together. That is a fantastic amount of Christmas cards you have made. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great paper and die... good eye! Came together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable and so sweet card, that cute reindeer is really a perfect topper and love the Nordic style papers, too!
    I'm not be able to make batch productions, it makes me bored and without motivations. So well done, it's great that you are able to make a lot of cards with only one design!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No such thing as a deer overdose! This is FAB

    ReplyDelete
  16. Truly, I love your card! I only send about 25-30 cards, so am doing OK so far so they all will get handmade ones. I don't like making lots of one design, but I may stoop to copying one I made a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woefully behind on my Christmas card tally . Just can,’t get the where with all at the moment. Wish
    I could batch bake but 2 is my limiit of making anything the same before rigamorfus sets in. Oh well goes with the frozen shoulder I suppose. Hugs Me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No overdosing here, just a really cute and festive Christmas card. I love that paper you used, so cute and of course the die is just perfect to go with the paper. I adore this one! Good for you for getting 12 of them made, I'm so proud of you for mass producing. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Still laughing after reading your last step about needing a rest under your desk with Dudley after making the 12 cards! What a lovely Christmas card - it has a great Scandinavian feel to it, also the look of a wonderful fair isle sweater. Great use of that fabulous paper and adorable deer die!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Deer Di, it is a really lovely card and well done on the batch making, make hay while the sun shines comes to mind.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super cute! Good for you for getting a whole set done! I am working on tons of stuff this week but not finishing much at all. So I have this big mess and not a lot to show for it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. lol Di l just loved your title...your Deer card is gorgeous and nice to make a batch of them well done x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely adore this card. They are sure to delight those who receive one in the coming holiday season. Just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous card Di, I do love this deer die and he does look fabulous with that background paper. I will definitely be buying a load of cards this year - maybe with koalas and kangaroos on !! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.