Sunday 17 June 2018

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Challenge # 327 - results

It's still very warm and humid here, although I'm ahead of myself and actually typing this on Wednesday (just finishing it off on Friday early evening) ready for Sunday. A good thunderstorm certainly would clear the air!

But, not on Saturday (which will be yesterday when this publishes) please as it's the local Village Carnival and we're helping out at the Archery Club 'Have a Go' stand. I've been there in the most windy and wet weather possible for June and just wanted to roll up into a ball as there was no shelter to speak of. Len will be setting up and and carrying stuff from mid-morning and I'll be (I think) helping with the selling of tickets later on when the real action begins. We now have much better shelter from the weather if it all goes against us

We'll have loads of traditional rides, stalls, plants to buy, parades etc. - and FOOD, FOOD! I already warned Len that I aim to have a lovely soft freshly baked bacon bap/roll and tea or coffee for breakfast (before the main event begins as 1:30), a Cornish Pasty (baked to total perfection by the local bakery) for lunch with maybe a glass of local cider - then perhaps a candy floss ....... followed by an ice cream around tea time. Err, and then I shall probably be very sick :) 

It really is absolutely everything you could want from a traditional Village Carnival and long may it continue!

Here's our new Guest Designer, and this time round it's Donna, of Craft Dee Donna who shared this amazing box card:
Here's what Donna wrote about the box card:

I used snippets from a DCWV 8" stack "Animal Crackers", - box cards are really good for using snippets as none of the pieces you use are very big at all :-)  I even used "snippets of snippets"... the piece removed from the frame behind the image became one of the panels on the outside of the card.  The image is from Di's Digis, it's coloured with Copics and Prismacolor pencils.  The die cuts are from DCWV too, the wooden letters are from stash.

I do think this is such fun! I know a few little boys (and girls) who would be over the moon to receive this brilliant card, so bright and full of interest! It;s their very own little zoo in card form :)

And here's Donna to say 'Hello' - do please hop over to say 'Hello' in return. These lovely Guest Designers do put themselves out when I ask them to be a GD and it's so nice to be appreciated:
Just look at that happy face and dancing eyes - a sparkle of mischief there I think!

And a few words about Donna herself:

As far as "about me";  I live in Australia, after emigrating from the UK when a teenager - a decision I'm very glad my parents made for me :-)   I'm happily married to a craft-tolerant man and have two adult sons and twin grandchildren who are the light of my life.  I work from home and have to be very self-disciplined... my craft room sings her siren song all day!  My favourite part of card making is colouring; I love my Copic markers and Prismacolor pencils... though I am developing a die-cutting habit that is a little worrying!  I'm very happy to have been invited to be Guest Designer in The Playground.

Thanks so much for being our Guest Designer Donna - we're delighted you could take on the role for this fortnight. It's really lovely to learn more about the people behind their blogs - lucky you emigrating at such a lovely age. It constantly amazes me how far flung we all are - brought together courtesy of the Internet....and the Playground of course :)

Let's do a quick scamper around my picks for this fortnight:

We have a  *Gold Star* this time!
This absolutely darling Wedding card was made by Carol L. I really adore it, and again it has so much really pretty detail as well as little pieces of goodness knows what - another must to visit!

And my three picks for the fortnight are as follows, all worthy of being Gold Stars in their own right but I did have to harden my heart, sigh:
This is such a lovely card, made by Jackie T for a Baby Shower. Loads of snippets and lovely detail - and I was so very impressed that Jackie made the card blank from scratch using a Stanley knife!

Now this is actually a little bit of a 'project to organise dies', rather than a single card. BUT, you must hop over and check Donna's post out (yup, the same Donna who is our current Guest Designer as well!). What a great idea this is. Also, there's a wonderful white on white card to drool over - plus some tips on lining up die cut multiple letters or words. A really informative post!

I think this card is a fabulous example of using up snippets in a really bright and inspiring way. What a clever idea and one to be remembered for the future. Janice brought this along to share with us and I'm so glad she did. Loads of impact - and thank goodness the little chap wasn't named a really long name that couldn't be shortened.

Ha, my parents chose the name Diane for me because it was more unusual than Diana (way back in the dim and distant past). And, most importantly because they thought it couldn't be shortened. From day one of going to prison boarding school, it was 'Di' of course - much to their horror. You either accepted the shortened version or, trust me, someone would come up with a fiendish nickname! 

No new Playmates this time round. We had 58 entries, despite the heat some of us have been coping with. I know we whine in the UK, but it's because we really aren't geared up for extremes of temperature - and most of us certainly don't have air con for a start.

Prize draw time now and what a popular prize as well. Drum roll please! Our winner of the bumper bundle of Concord & 9th 'Everyday Tintables', a Concord & 9th 'Fabulous Phrases set of five dies and an Altenew 'Puffy Pink' ink pad is:
Val
Well done Val! This lovely lady plays every single fortnight (often just for fun) and always, but always, says lovely things about the Playground on her blog post containing her entry. So I was delighted when her number popped straight out. Well deserved win there Val - and a real corker it is too!

Do please send me your address, with full name at the top so I can copy and paste - for speed and ease. I don't keep addresses of previous winners, even if they might be in my private address list - if that makes sense! I'll be off to the Post Office ASAP this coming week once I hear from you. Please put Playground Winner or similar in the subject line of your email in case it drops into my junk mail. Email address is on RH sidebar as always.

Remember folks, there's still almost another week to run on Challenge #328 HERE. The prize is a Uniko 'Block Party Birthday' stamp.

AND - I thought we'd have no fresh photos of Spike, but Len came up trumps on Thursday night:
Spike With The Sweet Smile, (and the most tame I suspect) just about to attack the food bowl. The bit that looks like toast on top of the blue lid is a thin sliver from a brick sample I ordered when we were having work done on the house. All part of the flip up mechanism to keep cats out. Everything ends up having a use!
And after he'd eaten, here's Spike is at a bowl of fresh water taking a drink. You can see that there's water in the bowl despite it looking so clear - Spike has a brilliant wine waiter named Leonardo! Bless his little paw (Spike I mean), and I think he needs a claw trim to be honest! 

Hope you have a lovely week ahead, and that you come and play - if you haven't done so already!

Love from the little white peril Parsnip (currently eyeing up Len's hair trimmer and wondering whether to shave all his fur off), and of course me,





24 comments:

  1. Wonderful picks again Di, popped over to Donna's and am in awe of her organized space! Looks wonderful, gorgeous box card too. Have a great week, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Di I'm home from our wonderful Majorcan holiday with the babies..such fun. Wow today's post is a real feast to the eyes, so much talent here. Well done ladies and well done to dear Len for those darling photos of Spike. I hope the carnival went well and the weather was kind. Off to say hi to Donna.Have a fab week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so look forward to your lovely posts on a Sunday morning, always a good read. Love the box card, such fun and some links to follow up as well. Wow, I seem to have been lucky in the draw this time around thanks to Mr Random. I do hope your village event went off well yesterday and that the weather was kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some fabulous picks Di, I had to chuckle about why your parents chose your name. I did the same with my middle son and called him Mark, so it got lengthened and people called him Markey!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous picks Di and cute photos of Spike.
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to the winners and top picks. A fab load of inspiration in the post Di. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blow me down I got a gold star. Thankyou muchly. Off to find me pot of brasso and a cloth. Hugs Me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Val and thanks for sharing all those notables along with Donna's fabby explosion box! Thanks for the gold star on my card too! Love those hedgie pics - great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are gorgeous cards!
    congrats!
    oh your new friend is so cute!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the new GD Donna and her stunning cards! And also for her dies organization!
    I'm very glad to see two gold stars given to two my blog friends, yay!! Big Congrats to Mrs. A and Carol, well deserved to both!!! :D
    Congrats to the lucky winner, too!
    Len has made two fab shots of the hedgies! Spike and Sweet Smile look so cute and they seem not being worried by humans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to Val and welcome to GD Donna! Her card is fabulous and I love Mrs. A's workshop! Such incredible talented and awesome people in this crafty community! Love all the picks! But I especially loved photo's of Spike-he is quite handsome! The carnival sounds like loads of fun as well. I hope the weather held out for you and the town Di. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fabulous card from Donna, so much detail! Thank you so much for choosing my card Di as one of your picks, congratulations to the other ladies and also to Val.
    Great photos of Mr Hedgie too!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to everyone! OMGoodness, I loved looking at all of these gorgeous cards! And the hedgie pics are sooooooooo cute! I would so love to have hedgies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Di thank you for choosing my card it was fun to make I like a challenge. Congratulations to all the others who were chosen. I love the hedgehog pictures. I saw one in our garden last week. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some gorgeous creations in your picks and from Donna.
    Well great photo's from David Bailey once again, I think Spike must be getting used to it by now.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful box card from Donna and fabulous gold star makes too Di. I love the highlighted cards and congratulations to Val for winning the great prize this time. More super photos of Spike too, Len has caught him beautifully! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Di, I'm back - thanks for the very kind message you sent recently - and even submitted a snippet make today. Lovely post - I did enjoy reading about the Village Carnival and Guest Designer Donna. The showcased makes are all fabulous too. Love the hedgie photos - I've yet to spot ours this year but I'm reliably informed they are around, as are the bats!! Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous picks, Di. I always shorten names, and legally shortened mine some years ago xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you enjoyed your Village carnival, despite not being the glorious, sunny day your ordered.

    Congratulations to Donna on her GD spot, amazing pop-up card. Love your choice of picks and Mrs A is a worthy winner of the Gold Star. What an incredible card!

    Lovely photos of Spike. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's lovely to have a minute to sit and enjoy your post, Di! Always so fun and so inspirational with your picks and your guest designers! You've picked some extraordinary works of art to feature this fortnight! I'm blown away! And please thank Len again for his vigilant paparazzi efforts! He captured some adorable shots this time. You are so lucky to have this lodger to amuse and entertain you ... and to keep Len busy and out of trouble, lol! I hope you are feeling well, my friend! And I hope you enjoyed the Village Carnival and that the heat wasn't too oppressive! Love and hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats to all the spotlighted designers! So fun seeing the little creatures that don't live here--great shots by Len! Guess your folks should have named you Greta as people lengthen it to Gretchen instead of shortening it--haha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our carnival day was so wet l didn't get out to see it hope you enjoyed yours Di......Congrats Donna for your GD SPOT fabulous cards and many congrats to Val and nice to see spike having some food and all gone too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your village carnival sounds like great fun, hope the weather behaved itself!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic picks - some really clever ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.