Wednesday 21 February 2018

A 'zentangle' style card

A lovely blogging buddy just very recently gifted me a pre-loved 'Zentangle style' stamp, which she thought would be good for paper piecing - and it has a butterfly on it!!

In the end, I also added pearls as well - but just couldn't run to patterned paper and peach (the other two options) without losing sight of the bright, modern and funky card I had in mind. Adding the pearls was stretching it a bit, but I do think they work OK-ish:

I used:

- white DL card

- a slightly smaller layer of white card cut to size, which I edged right round for about half an inch or a bit less, using a purple Pro marker (didn't have any bright enough purple card here - and this is one trick I do keep forgetting to use!)

- at the same time I also swiped the purple Pro marker over a couple of snippets of white card - in case my trimming went wrong! 

- glued the 'purple edged' card onto the card front

- then took a piece of white card not yet trimmed to size and, using the Misti, stamped the lovely floral image and a sentiment in Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink in the centre. Thanks to Kath I now know that the pre-loved stamp set is made by Woodware and is called 'Tulip Doodle'

- whilst the Misti was set up I also stamped the floral 'Zentangle' image onto paper in almost neon shades of pink and green (goodness knows how old they are!) - as well as the butterfly onto little pieces of purple card I'd coloured with Pro markers. Over time I've learned that if you do have enough paper/card then it's really best to stamp extra in case of mistakes when trimming the images for paper piecing

- then trimmed the white card panel with the stamped image and sentiment down to size, before going any further

- next carefully trimmed around the leaves, flowers and butterfly that had been stamped onto coloured paper/card (I use very small Fiskars embroidery scissors, kept purely for paper cutting). Then ran a black Whispers pen around the edges just to keep the outlines as crisp as possible (if you do this, don't use a Pro marker or similar, as it will bleed - I learned this the hard way a very long time ago!)

- using a Zig glue pen (the bullet shaped one where you can apply wide or very narrow lines of glue), I then, step by step, added glue to the card front images and popped the leaves, flower heads and butterfly in place

- final touch, little pearls on the stems where the stamp design had already drawn circles as well as on the centre of the butterfly's body- just to add dimension

I realised afterwards that I could have just pretended to do some paper piecing and used Pro markers to do the colouring - so here's the proof:

Such a pretty stamp - I love it!





26 comments:

  1. Wowser. Those pearls look terrific where you've got them and I never doubted that you'd paper pieced. Love the ickle butterfly. Thankyou for coming and spinning the butterfly wheel and it landed on quite a few segments too. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stamp Di, the colours are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE how you used the pearls...that was a brilliant idea. They look fabulous! Great card, Di.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this is just charming and so whimsical. I can't imagine a more perfect stamp image to paper piece, even with all the fussy cutting and fancy gluing. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous card - a lovely stamp and the pearls add the perfect finishing touch.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say - the flower is Woodware's Tulip Doodle Stamp.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful card Di, those pearls on the stem finish the card off perfectly.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card Di, love the colours and super paper piecing and the pearls are a perfect finishing touch. Great to see that stamp having a bit of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card Di. The stamps are really nice.
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous image and beautifully coloured and paper pieced.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very pretty stylised tulip design Di and love the way you have paper pieced it in those bright shades of pink and green, and the vertical sentiment and sweet little pearls on the stems finish it beautifully. A great acquisition and perfect for Mrs A's challenge with the itsy bitsy butterfly. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, Di. The pearls are perfect too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great paper piecing and love these zentangled tulips witrh the pearls on the stems, such lovely detail is this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun image of tulips. I cannot wait for Spring. I love your colors - so nice and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's fab and the pearls are just the right touch. What a beautiful stamp. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just brilliant Di, great job of PP and love the bright colours, the pearls work very well in MHO and I immediately knew it was a Woodware stamp, haven't got this one but I have so many Woodware, well I had to find something to replace LOTV.

    Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous card and I love how you added the pearls to the stems, I'm totally stealing that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, amazing paper piecing and I love the modern look!
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your comment (thank you) got me wondering, so as you do at 6am when I read it I did some research and yes they do, so Parsnip bless him is endowed with some.

    Little things and all that Di !!

    Pretty paper piecing creation.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the bright gorgeousness of this card! Real funky design complimented by your fab colours. Brilliant paper piecing. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL, I love that fun flower and teeny tiny little purple butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done for ingenuity. Love the paper pieced card, and it is such a bright and cheerful card. I have some neon paper left from when I was a nursery school manager 15+ years ago. I am a bit late visiting, but I get there in the end. Kate x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.