As soon as I spotted 'pink and paper piecing' as optional themes on Mrs A's Butterfly 'all the P's' challenge - there was no holding me back. Especially as a lovely blogging buddy just very recently gifted me a pre-loved 'Zentangle style' stamp, which she thought would be good for paper piecing - and it has a butterfly on it!!
In the end, I also added pearls as well - but just couldn't run to patterned paper and peach (the other two options) without losing sight of the bright, modern and funky card I had in mind. Adding the pearls was stretching it a bit, but I do think they work OK-ish:
- white DL card
- a slightly smaller layer of white card cut to size, which I edged right round for about half an inch or a bit less, using a purple Pro marker (didn't have any bright enough purple card here - and this is one trick I do keep forgetting to use!)
- at the same time I also swiped the purple Pro marker over a couple of snippets of white card - in case my trimming went wrong!
- glued the 'purple edged' card onto the card front
- then took a piece of white card not yet trimmed to size and, using the Misti, stamped the lovely floral image and a sentiment in Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink in the centre. Thanks to Kath I now know that the pre-loved stamp set is made by Woodware and is called 'Tulip Doodle'
- whilst the Misti was set up I also stamped the floral 'Zentangle' image onto paper in almost neon shades of pink and green (goodness knows how old they are!) - as well as the butterfly onto little pieces of purple card I'd coloured with Pro markers. Over time I've learned that if you do have enough paper/card then it's really best to stamp extra in case of mistakes when trimming the images for paper piecing
- then trimmed the white card panel with the stamped image and sentiment down to size, before going any further
- next carefully trimmed around the leaves, flowers and butterfly that had been stamped onto coloured paper/card (I use very small Fiskars embroidery scissors, kept purely for paper cutting). Then ran a black Whispers pen around the edges just to keep the outlines as crisp as possible (if you do this, don't use a Pro marker or similar, as it will bleed - I learned this the hard way a very long time ago!)
- using a Zig glue pen (the bullet shaped one where you can apply wide or very narrow lines of glue), I then, step by step, added glue to the card front images and popped the leaves, flower heads and butterfly in place
- final touch, little pearls on the stems where the stamp design had already drawn circles as well as on the centre of the butterfly's body- just to add dimension, emphasise the butterfly theme and also make this up to FOUR of Mrs A's 'theme choices'
I realised afterwards that I could have just pretended to do some paper piecing and used Pro markers to do the colouring - so here's the proof:
Such a pretty stamp and also I'm delighted that Mrs A has widened the choices of themes and colours. You still have almost a week left to join in! The link is above right at the top of this post and prizes can be won :)