Wednesday 13 December 2017

Happy 60th Birthday

A great friend, from my last job before retirement, went unexpectedly quiet when I asked in an email if she was 60 this year. I was sure it was her 50th 10 years ago and there's a lesson to be learned there - don't put your year of birth onto Facebook if you don't want little Miss Marple to go searching :)

It all then fell into place why she zoomed off on holiday with her husband to The Maldives for a couple of weeks or more - about a week after we returned from Portugal. What a lovely way to celebrate!

So, this card is a bit late but it will be waiting for her return - just before the big fat man in the red suit arrives:
I used:

- white DL card, tent style

- backing paper from a 12" x 12" Studio Calico 'Snippets' paper pad - sent to me by a lovely blogging friend a while ago. So many designs to choose from, in the end I plumped for some pretty stripes (my friend isn't really a pretty, pretty flowers person)

- I cut the backing paper to just slightly smaller than the card front and kept it to one side

- next cut a strip of white card to the same width as the patterned layer, leaving space to trim it down above and below

- then, using the Misti, I stamped the fabulous Woodware 'Numbers' using Memento 'London Fog' - used the main numbers stamp plus one of the sentiments (just to let her know I'd discovered she is indeed 60 - me very bad!)

- the sentiment fit perfectly sideways but I did trim the top and bottom to suit

- coloured the numbers using two Pro markers, picking out a subtle colours for the majority of the numbers and bright red for the 60 :)

- trimmed the sentiment strip along the top and bottom then glued it onto the striped backing panel and then added the whole piece to the card front

A quick card, especially so as I skipped any paper piecing.

One tip about lining up the already cut to size (from one side to the other at least) strip of white card in the Misti. I use a home printed acetate grid for perfect placement in a straight line but was struggling to make sure it was evenly spaced at both sides of the strip of card. Then I realised another great thing about the Misti - once the stamp was adhered in a straight line in relation to the bottom of the Misti, I just needed to move the piece of white card slightly from side to side until I was happy. Then pop the magnets in place, stamp, and it worked like a charm!





21 comments:

  1. A lovely card - that's one of my favourite stamps for 'Big Birthdays'. Love the paper too.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great stamp for using on age cards Di, this one is fantastic I'm sure that your friend will love it.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Di, very good detective work. Love the striped paper with the numerical birthday... have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now WHO would do such a thing . . . go quiet on a BIG birthday!????? LOL!

    GREAT card . . . really love that stamp and how you've used it.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the idea with the numbers and another great tip for using the Misti to good advantage, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great card for your friend's big six 0 Di and love the pretty background citrus stripes. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this card, Di. So cute to have the age stand out. I think she will get a kick out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fun card for a birthday, you have had a clever idea for a quick make!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had discovered this stamp this time last year as I have had so many 70th's this year and while I was pretty OK with the females, I was really stuck with the males, this would have been perfect, as is your card.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice card!
    Happy Holidays 🎄🎅⛄
    hugs , Fiki

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha. Great idea and very subtle. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card Di but beware FB sometimes lies about the age - my cousin’s profile has her 10 years younge4 than she really us😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fabulous card, like you I love my misti, it's amazing how much easier it makes things x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the Misti tip...I am still learningto use mine!

    This is a great card and a great stamp. I can see using a stamp like that SO MUCH!!!

    Congratulations on entering RD every month. I was so pleased to see your name on the entries!

    Good luck in the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the happy MISTI tip and the happy inspiration, Di! Your friend will love it! I'm crazy about that background striped paper!! Happy Christmas hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous card! Your friend will love it! Another Misti tip, thank you, how did we manage before the Misti was invented! Hugs xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a clever stamp for birthdays. I'm sure your friend loved it. The paper is lovely. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.