Friday 18 August 2017

Gold and silver for Christmas

I recently made some Christmas cards using alternating gold and silver trees on white and decided to use those 'colours' again yesterday. This time I made four identical cards - and at the same time used a Poppystamps die that had been faulty the first time round. Thanks to Donna's help I was eventually sent a replacement - which I'd never dared use until now - it works like a dream! Thanks again Donna and also Poppystamps.

Here's one of the cards - so hard to photograph gold and silver though:
I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank

- a strip of gold metal effect adhesive sheet made by X-Cut down the spine edge of the card, cut wider than I wanted it to be so it would be tucked under the white layer I planned to add later. In fact, I added the metallic strip before I cut the folded card exactly to size - saved worrying about the strip not being quite the right length, then set the card blanks to one side

- piece of white card stock, trimmed to the same size as the card top to bottom measurement and then quarter of an inch narrower from side to side to allow the gold strip to show down the spine edge of the card

- then die cut the Poppystamps 'Snowflake Ribbon' die cut from silver X-cut adhesive sheet and popped it in place on the white panel

- die cut the Poppystamps 'Noel Snowflake' using gold metal effect sheet, snipping off the dangling snowflake, and pressed that onto the white panel

- ran it through the Cuttlebug, using the embossing plates and an embossing folder as a 'shim', which as I've said before gives an almost 'foiled look' to the die cuts 

- to add the panel to the card front I used a mixture of two adhesives. I suspected that the card might not stay stuck to the gold metallic strip but at the same time wanted some 'wiggle room' to make sure the front was lined up properly. This is how I did it - first stuck a strip of quarter inch wide red line tape down the reverse of the white panel, along the edge that was going to be stuck onto the metallic strip and left the red protective covering in place (when that tape sticks it won't let go!). Then filled in the rest of the back of the panel with Collall All Purpose Glue and wiggled the panel gently onto the card front. When happy it was perfectly lined up I then used fine, pointed, tweezers to ease the spine edge of the panel up and peel the protective covering from the red line tape before pressing it down. Worked a treat!

- then added a clear sparkly gem in the centre of the snowflake

- toddled through to my in-house critic to ask whether I should add a few sequins or not. The verdict was in line with my own thoughts, step away from the podium and leave it well alone!

So, have managed to reach my end of August target at least 😀 And, credit where it's due, I found the basis of the idea for this design on Pinterest - needless to say I can't find it again!

I'm struggling here, Mr Mojo seems to have gone on his holidays! So, my 'non-Snippets Playground' posts may be fewer than normal





28 comments:

  1. Sorry you are feeling a lack of mojo at presentpo Di but you would never know it as this is beautiful and great that you are on target with your Christmas cards. I know having that strip of gold showing down the side is a bit fiddly but your eye for detail has ensured it is perfectly aligned and this card is super elegant. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry not sure where the po came from...lol, that should be at present Di. x

      Delete
  2. Stunning card, Di, so elegant. I've seen the Xcut metal effect adhesive sheets, but wondered how well they would die cut intricate shapes. I think you have just done some enabling! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do cut really well Liz. I used waxed paper against the die so that the die cut itself fell straight out. The metal layer is sturdy but quite thin. So if it looks as if the cut hasn't gone right through the backing don't worry. It will work! X

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I love silver and gold. That snowflake is lovely. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that die it's so elegant. Even though you think Mr Mojo has gone on vacation, this card is stunning, CAS perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very elegant card Di. I found it interesting that you had a faulty die, as I was given a Christmas die as a gift,which was faulty. They couldn't replace it, but I was able to choose dies to the same value. Good customer sevice, but not so good quality control!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you didn't go for the extra sequins, this card is pure CAS perfection and anything more would be too much. It certainly doesn't look like a "lost mojo" creation!
    Hope Mr Mojo comes back soon. I tend to find that when he's been AWOL for a while he returns with a vengeance and I can hardly eat or sleep because my head is so full of ideas - it's a feast or famine life!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fabulous CAS!! It's very elegant and delicate! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so elegant. If Mr Mojo has toddled off you have the perfect excuse to gaze at Pinterest ad infinitum but why is it always difficult to find the same card again when you need to, happens to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Di, I love the gold and silver together. I agree with Val, re Mr Mojo, Pinterest gives some great ideas.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This card is sooo beautiful Di. I'm inclined to agree with your good self & the IHC about the sequins. It's PERFECT as it is.

    Hope yr mojo returns swiftly.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely, Di, so CAS and so elegant

    Happy Friday

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  12. So wonderful that they sent you another die...such a beautiful design it is
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like your mojo is just fine! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so elegant. Very impressed that you met your target too. Think your mojo has gone on holibobs with mine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the reminder that I have this die too and hardly used it because it was hard to fasten onto a card, but I will have to give it another go.
    Love the gold and silver mix and a really superb CAS/LIM card.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful elegant CAS card Di.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fantastic CAS Christmas design, Di! Silver and gold always elevate a card to rich and elegant! I'm so glad to hear you were able to get a replacement for your faulty die.

    Just roll with the lack of mojo juices. We have all learned these things can't be forced ~ we understand! Congrats on reaching your Cc goal for August. I sort of hate you for that, lol!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful christmas card Di and so elegant with the gold silver and white combo. That's a fabulous die and so glad you managed to get it replaced.

    I've noticed quite a few people in Blogland complaining of missing Mojo's (me included) and I'm wondering if they're off having a party of their own somewhere.... I just hope they haven't found all that hooch hidden about the Playground or we'll never get any crafting done! Have a fun weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I understand mojo going on vacation for the summer, because that's pretty much what happened to me through July and August! My mind would toss around various ideas and designs while I lay in bed before falling asleep, but as soon as I got up and went into my craft room...all motivation flew out the window. I'm hoping that the end of vacation time and summer projects will result in more crafty time. Good for you, keeping up with our Christmas cards throughout the year. That's something I vow every year, but fail miserably!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful CAS design, Di. And looks like a fairly quick card to make multiples. :) Sorry to hear about your mojo missing. I have the feeling that yours and mine are off somewhere on holiday! I hope both of ours comes back soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning Christmas card! I love it! I bet you will soon be thinking of loads of fabulous card ideas! I am sure Parsnip will help! Hugs xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wowzer! Elegant & gorgeous, Di! So glad you got a die that works--know you're going to enjoy using it over & over!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.