Friday 21 July 2017

Framed butterfly card

The other day I was playing with my new TH Distress Oxides (DOX for short!) for the first time and made a few background pieces.  One was oranges and off it went down the right path without even planning it - so this is the card I made using some of the background piece:

I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank, tent style

- a snippet from a piece of Strathmore Mixed Media Vellum Coated 300 gsm paper (I adore this!!) which had been smeared and daubed using TH Distress Oxides in the following colours: 'Fossilised Amber', 'Spiced Marmalade' and 'Fired Brick' - all part of the first set of 12 to be released

- heat dried between each colour so they didn't end up like a patch of mud ....... and then finally sprayed with plain water using a Mini Mister to add the 'splats and droplets' then given a final dry with the heat gun

- next I die cut two matching sets of frames using Impression Obsession's 'Rectangle 6 in 1 Frames' and white card stock -  then stuck the two matching frames together, one on top of another, for added dimension

- trimmed a piece from the rather precious TH DOX inky piece of card (it's not something you rattle off in five minutes!) and mounted it behind the white frame

- now that the framed piece of orange DOX card was assembled I could work out the positioning and potential 'look' of the sentiment - and after a lot of dithering opted for a die cut gold mirri card sentiment, to match the gold bodies I planned to add to the butterfly's wings later

- die cut the word 'Smile' (from the Penny Black 'Hooray' set of dies) using Stick-It backed gold mirri card and adhered it onto the card front. To really 'set' it in place and also to smooth out some 'cutting plate endowed wrinkles' I ran the whole card-  with the die cut word in place - through the Cuttlebug, using the embossing plates as well as an embossing folder for the right pressure

- time to glue the frame with the orange DOX backing in place, using Collall All Purpose glue - still a huge favourite of mine for 'wriggle room'

- at the same time as working with orange shades, I'd been using a variety of DOX blue shades in a similar way and had a little strip left over from a card I'll be showing on here in The Playground soon. So I die cut two little matching blue butterflies using SU's 'Beautiful Wings' Embosslits die/EF

- then added little gold mirri card bodies to the butterflies, die cut using Frantic Stamper's 'Petite Butterflies' plate die (it comes with loads of little butterflies and bodies, very pretty and in a way I wish I'd used it for the butterfly wings as well). If you love small butterflies then this die plate really is a lovely one to have in your die collection :)

- popped the butterflies in place using snippets of thin sticky pad and there it was - done!

I've said it before but running an added die cut through the embossing machine really does seem to 'embed' it into the card and it ends up looking almost 'foiled' if you use mirri card. Just remember to use an embossing folder for that added pressure, along with your normal embossing plates set up. For some cards I leave the embossing folder layer out, so it's a case of try the gentle approach without an EF first and see it you like it. Just make sure the EF is bigger than the card front for an even pressure and no rogue 'lines'. I tried to take a photo showing the mirri card shine but failed miserably :(

It sounds quite an easy card to make, but at the same time we were also trying to sort out the aftermath of the violent thunder storms we had here on Tuesday night. Both woken up by the bedroom lighting up like a funfair and an immediate enormous crash of thunder at about 2:30 am.

Looking back, it must have been quite an amusing sight - Len was out of bed in one huge hop (Olympic high jump standard) whilst I scrabbled to cower under the bedclothes! I swear that everything in the house rattled! And the next day we discovered that the telephone line was dead as a Dodo. BT are supposedly now on the case but who knows when things may be sorted out - at least we still have internet access, which surprises me, plus our mobiles! At least nothing blew up and we weren't endangered in any way :)

I have a friend who is absolutely terrified of thunder and lightning and has been known to dive under her bed or even into the wardrobe during a thunderstorm! After the other night, I'm on her side and would have been scrapping and fighting her out of the way I promise!

Edit: I just realised that this card is eligible for the brilliant CAS Watercolour challenge for July, run by Loll and Bonnie! The theme is 'Butterfly' - whoop, whoop - it's been far too long since I joined in.

                     

 

 



27 comments:

  1. This is very pretty, love the BG you created. Also love the CAS style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty. I sure wish they would come out with cubes of the DOX. They look like a lot of fun to use and it's always a nice look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your DOX background Di. Aren't they fun to play with??!! I'm really enjoying these inks. And so pretty with the blue butterflies. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

    How exciting and scary at the same time with the thunder and lightening. Glad there wasn't any other damage except to the phone lines. Hopefully they'll have them up and running soon. Thank goodness your internet is not down. We couldn't do without it, right??!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work with the DOX and clever stuff making the frame - this is lovely for Mrs A's challenge. We had T & L the other night, enough to wake me so must have been pretty fierce but not as bad as yours sounds, a bit scary in the middle of the night I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous CAS card Di. The background you made is a pretty colour and I love the shape of the frame too.
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Di what a gorgeous card - looks as though you had fun with the DOX inks. Your thunderstorm story sounds a bit scary - this afternoon we had one pass straight over us, with a hail shower at the same time - fun!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic card Di, I love the DOX background (still have to open mine yet). Have to admit that the thunder storm woke us up too, glad we don't have them to often.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you have the new TH inks then! I'm on a no spending curb at the moment but they will be first in my basket when the ban is lifted. Love this card and your tip for running the sentiment through the plates. The blue butterflies go so well with the orange background. Not two colours I would think to put together. Having disturbed me earlier in the evening The Doc then proceeded to sleep through the whole spectical !!! Thank you Miss for fluttering into the butterfly garden which is looking a tad wind blown . Hugs Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous card, love it when a plan just appears like that! Thanks for the top tip about the embossing. Hope the phone works soon x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Di and love the colour combination using that double layer frame which really does stand out and the sweet little matching butterflies. I have not bought any of the oxides yet but may invest in a few of the colours that I don't have in Distress Inks to ring the changes. I am so limited for storage space that I have to be sensible unfortunately..lol. That storm was definitely not pleasant and the rain battered things about somewhat. It sounds as though you had it worse than we did though. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. COR! Wonderful inky background . . . LOVE it. I do not have any DOX's yet . . . and that's the way it's gonna stay . . . no room for them!

    Love the little butterflies. Still a fave die of mine that one!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on many levels! Your inky background is beautifully soft but has dimension and looks like space. No DOX's here either, for now anyway. What drama with the thunder. All I could think about was my poor hens, then we had a low flying helicopter the next day.
    I came across a hedgehog the other night and then two the next day. I was so excited and know you'll understand. I hope they are eating my slimy visitors. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this card Di and the blue butterflies look great on your DOX background. I'm loving the TH DOXs too although I still NEED to get the spiced Marmalade! Must try your tip. Thanks for sharing. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Di,
    we too had that thunder storm in Kent which is not too far from you I suppose.
    I know it wasn't directly over us but you are right that one clap of thinder and the lightening that followed would not have left anybody from cowering in their beds.
    We also had a massive hailstrom afterwards too.
    Sounded like golf balls hitting the ground.
    Luckily no damage to plants or anything else thank goodness.
    Love your wonderful card and the wonderful inked background is gorgeous.
    The shaped frame is so pretty and a lovely shape.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forgot to say I have 4 oxides at the moment, but I do want them all one day. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Di,

    I know exactly what you mean about thunder - we have some very intense thunder and lightening storms here. Although I'd be afraid of all the dust bunnies under my bed. tee hee

    Can you believe I'm actually going to join the retirement club! Today is my last day at work (and work today I did not do). It's going to be quite interesting, indeed!!

    Hugs to you (and Len).
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Di. Nice to catch up with you again. I have my GD hat on today.I am interested to see your distress oxide piece. I have resisted even looking at them properly. I really can't justify another new set of inks, but I must say, I like the effect you have achieved with them. And a matching pair of butterflies to boot! Love Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card! Fab Oxide panel and the butterflies are so cute! I have that embosslits die and use it lots! Haven't heard of the other die set though, will have a look! I have a vision in my head of you and Len during Thundergate! Tee hee! i hope your phone is sorted soon. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely use of the Oxide inks for your background piece - beautifully framed too! Thanks so much for joining us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so nice to see you and your butterflies at CAS Watercolour, Di! Love this sweet pair and the DOX background is so pretty! Sounds like a scary storm! I don't like it when it gets that close!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful DOX background, I love all the watery edges as you apply each colour:) Thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour :)
    Sorry to hear about the bad thunderstorm, pretty scary when it's right above you :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Di, thank you for letting me know about the die, really useful information! I will bear it in mind if I am ever thinking about buying it. We are plodding on thanks, not doing brilliantly but hey ho! Managed to craft today which is mega cool! Hope you are both ok? I should have emailed, I could have chatted more, silly me, next time! Take care. Hugs xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty, pretty, pretty twin butterfly card, Di! Your background is lovely! Great design for both the challenges!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow is that a gorgeous background, Di--lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pretty card Di! Considering I don't live that far away from you, I was surprised to read about the storm, all we had was a couple of rumbles of distant thunder, must have been the ones over you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.