Saturday 16 October 2010

90th birthday card

Recently a friend asked me to make a 90th birthday card for her Grandmother. As I always do, I asked what her interests are. Apparently she is Austrian by birth and loves Viennese waltzes. So far so good - ideas were beginning to formulate already! Then, my heart sank when my friend added that she loves playing Scrabble and doing crosswords. Oh boy, how could I combine those without it just looking like a 'jumble'?!

My crafty friends know I agonised over how to tackle this card - and I ended up a bit out of my comfort zone. Sketches, test layouts and goodness knows what! This is what I came up with:



I abandoned the crossword idea - even using it on the insert I felt would have been too much of a muddle. The card is from The Range - a large square one with embossed dots which I brushed over with a Brilliance Inkpad - Pearlescent Beige as the white was just too stark. The music (Strauss - Blue Danube Waltz) was from the internet and I adjusted the colour to made it look more sepia before printing onto plain 130gsm paper. I also found the violin and the Scrabble tiles images on the internet - both printed onto photo card to give them a glossy finish. The 'ninety' (A Hero Arts stamp from a set with all ages in - so useful!) was stamped onto the back of an oval sentiment from Craftwork Cards. The oval shape was brushed over with the same Pearlescent Beige as the card itself and the 'ninety' was stamped using Cosmic Copper, with a small gold sparkly gem on the dot above the letter 'i'. I spelt out Nanny using the snipped-to-size Scrabble tiles (Nanny is the family's pet name for this very special lady).

The final touches were leaves from Hobbycraft, cream and peach roses (glittered with Stickles gold) and cherry blossom flowers (all flowers came from Wild Orchid Crafts). Then finished off with a double layered bow of organza ribbon (cream and peach). The insert also has a peach rose printed on it.

It's now safely packed in a box from Craft Creations, ready for delivery tonight to my friend. I hope she likes it and I hope you do too.I've lost count of the hours I spent on this but, as I said, it's for a very special lady celebrating a very special birthday!

Later edit:
It went down really well with my friend - apparently Nanny's favourite colour is peach so that was also a lucky 'extra' :) It isn't the big day until Tuesday so I might have more feedback after then. For now, I'm just happy it's been made and has initial approval!

Di
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.