Sunday 30 June 2024

Sunday Snippets - Nativity Bauble

Well, that's been quite a heatwave here - all of three days or so but it was truly scorching! 30.9 degrees at one point in my craft room with no air-con in a UK house - even with a fan blowing as much as I dared for fear of blowing die cuts about the place - absolutely not fun! It's cooler on Friday, as I write this post, and to be honest (even though it might seem ungrateful) we're very glad to have some respite.

I recently picked up a set of dies to continue with my plan to make more of our Christmas cards this year to reflect the true message of Christmas:



I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, tent style

- a sheet of green shaded paper from the Honey Bee 'Make It Merry' paper pad from which I die cut the base layer of the bauble 

- then cut the gold top layer of the bauble - using a snippet of Stick It backed 'Inca Gold' mirror card and a die from Sweet Dixie's 'Nativity Bauble' set of dies - I also cut the little hanging string and the holly leaf embellishment at the same time

- took a sheet of shades of red paper from the Honey Bee paper pad and trimmed it to fit onto the card front with a quarter inch border all round

- before going any further I added the gold bauble, string and top embellishment to the red panel, to easily position it and also to be able to accurately snip off the top of the overhanging gold 'string'

- glued the red paper onto a piece of 'Inca Gold' card measuring an eighth of an inch bigger all round for a narrow border

- added the pre-assembled double layered 'Inca Gold' sentiment from my little pot of ones I make up when I just want to craft for a short time with the TV or You Tube on - the die is one of my favourites of course - Tonic's Mini 'Merry Christmas' 

adhered the front panel to the card front, using very narrow sticky foam strips and the usual glue stick trick

- finished!

And of course, I made two the same whilst I was at it! I'm still not hitting my monthly Christmas card progress target for various reasons but have plans up my sleeve ........... never fear!

I'd like to enter this card into Darnell's NBUS Challenge #63 HERE - the 'Nativity Bauble' die set was having a first outing, as was the lovely Honey Bee double sided 'Make it Merry' paper pad - some really fresh looking designs along with plenty of toning plain/shaded sheets, I love it - watch out for a few 'Fractured' cards for Christmas appearing here before long! 

The Rudolph Days Challenge for June 2024 HERE

And, into the current Allsorts Challenge, under the 'Anything Goes' rule.

I've finally finished the 6 week long eye drops regime, due to having back to back ops and have now made an appointment for an eye test in two or three weeks time. Watch this space folks. 👁👁

Dudley Pupdate: When we saw our vet in early Spring she suggested trying Dudley with the one gap in his 'meds' ....... the dreaded and so hard to administer every three months 'additional' worming pill. I won't go into the details of the extra worm that the pill protects against but from my Biology days at school it's gruesome - and who wants to risk that for their beloved pet.

So, the different brand recommended pills were bought even though we suspected there might be fun and games ahead. At this point I should say that for over a year, Dudley has had a daily multi-vitamin pill popped into his little breakfast dish. Granted he does sometimes try to skip out of it but he does always eat it without any problems when reminded. Soooo, we did hope we might be ahead of the game and popped a worming pill in with his brekkies in place of the multi-vitamin and just carried on as normal. One lick and a crunch ......... and it was quickly rejected by Dudley! As luck would have it, I still had some breakfast toast with jam on in my hand, so I popped the crunched pieces onto teeny little bits of the jammy toast - and down they went! Relief!

BUT, whilst sitting on the edge of our bed later on I spotted about quarter of the pill that had escaped our notice in his initial 'quick, spit it out' session! Ho hum! I gently called Dudley, dozing nearby on the bed with his beloved 'Honks' beside him, to come for a cuddle. Poor little guy sleepily as well as innocently came into my open arms and with one swift movement I gently grasped his muzzle as his jaws instinctively clamped shut. 

However, there is that little 'side opening' in dog's teeth/gums so I lifted his side lip and popped the quarter pill right in. Dudley was so shocked that he swallowed it straight down. Then - he sat and looked accusingly at me as if to say 'You conned me Mama! I was hoping for a treat, at the very least'. Naturally, I felt so bad but it had to be done - I doubt if it can be repeated so easily but I'll try again in September - three months down the line. PS - of course he was given a little treat and all was forgiven. Doubtful about the 'forget' part of that phrase though!!

Very importantly, the results of Challenge #482 are now published HERE

Do please come and play in Sarn's current challenge over in the Snippets Playground! Just scroll down from my results post - over in the Playground.

Love from myself and Dudley, xxx




13 comments:

  1. We have the same pill shenanigans, but four times over! Two of the big girls have to have daily pills for their arthritis which are bitter so now Eddy prepares little ham sandwiches which which are seen as a treat ahead of breakfast. Cunning some might say!

    Onto your card, what a beauty that die is, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge this wek.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Di, I too am behind my target, but determined to make it up. I have fond (not) memories of trying sneaky pill administering. Peanut butter being one! I’m sure you’ll have a good outcome with your eye test, and be better than new xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card as always and I'm sure you will manage to get yourself on target by the end of the year. Yes, you do have to be a bit devious when it comes to giving meds to animals, shame they can't realise that it's all for their own good and accept pills gratefully 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely Christmas card with the traditional Nativity scene.

    Well done for getting D’s meds inside him come hook or by crook!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. O wow, that's a gorgeous die (to die for...!). So festive in gold: great work Di!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card Di, the nativity bauble in gold is beautiful.

    Sounds like you've cracked some devious techniques to get Dudley to take his pills.
    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is so elegant, beautiful and truly reflects the meaning of Christmas as well. I love it! I don't miss those days of trying to outsmart my dogs to give meds, but I do miss the snuggles. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really beautiful Christmas card Di, the die is gorgeous and great way to use up your snippets.
    Glad you managed to get Dudley his meds. We don't have dogs, but two cats. I thought dogs were easier to give meds to but it sounds similar to cats.
    Thank you so much for sharing with us this week at Allsorts challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the traditional red and gold and the Nativity scene Di, so beautiful. As for heatwave it's 14C and cloudy, I don't know where Flamin June went to? Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very beautiful card for Christmas, Di! Love the gold choice for the diecut inner and the traditional green&red!
    Hooray for the end of eye drops regime, fingers crossed for the appointment!
    Giving medicine to dogs is difficult, they immediately feel the taste that definitely is not pleasant. With cats is also more difficult, I have experiences with both! :) I have to wrap them in ham, but they eat the ham and spit out the medicine! And use their claws to stop me from putting them in their mouth!
    Luckily Dudley was half asleep and you could administer the missing piece of the pillow! And perhaps in three months he will forget :)
    Big hugs and lots of cuddles to the poor cheated Dudley! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful card Di!
    Thanks for joining in the fun at Rudolph Days!
    Helen x
    (Guest Designer)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sneaky! You know he won't forget. I am way behind my target so better get thinking. A pretty detailed bauble and perfect in the shiny paper x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully done and thanks for joining us at Allsorts. You are one mean Mama with those pills LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.