Tuesday 1 August 2023

Christmas Kickstart Challenge #77 - 'Elves'

I'm back as Dotty Jo's guest designer for the month of August - over at the Christmas Kickstart Challenge - HERE!  As always, it's a joy to be asked and I do love sticking to a theme - especially when it's a Christmas one.

This time, it's 'Elves' and I had the perfect set of dies, waiting in one of my NBUS baskets for its first outing! Perfick timing.

This is the result:


I used: 

- A6 white card blank, side opening

- a snippet of white card, embossed using the Crafts-Too 'Merry Christmas' embossing folder - then trimmed to leave an eighth of an inch margin around all sides 

- glued the embossed panel onto the card front

- die cut the 'elf' from two layers of black card and glued them together for stability - the dies on the card are all from the Sizzix Tim Holtz 'Santa's Helper' set of dies

- glued the elf at his jaunty angle onto the card front - using a glue pen

- then the fun began! I sat with a pile of red, green and gold snippets, my mini Altenew die cutting machine - and almost went crazy working out 'which die did what' to make the Christmas presents but I succeeded in the end. The trick, at least it works for me, is to cut and assemble ONE present at a time - it takes longer but is a lot less confusing - and also to add a further layer of card behind the main part for both stability and dimension 

- glued the presents and their ribbons together individually as I progressed until I had them all lined up in front of me ready to roll. At that point I discovered I was missing the fully assembled flat shaped present - it was like a man-hunt in here. I'd just swept the little scraps into the waste bin so had to up-end that for a search. Then, I suddenly wondered if I'd accidentally cleared it away with the tiny scraps of unused double sided sticky pads I'd been working with to prepare the presents for sticking onto the card front - and there it was leering at me through the poly bagl Big sigh of relief here

- so the final steps were to add the presents to the front of the card then glue the huge bow onto the top present - using two snippets of thin foam pads on top of one another to bring the level of the top of the bow up to the same as the present box itself

Many thanks to Jo for inviting me to be a Guest Designer over at the Christmas Kickstart Challenge and I'd really love it if you would come along and join in with the challenge - this is the LINK. It's open until the end of the month so you have plenty of time.


I'd also like to enter this card into Darnell's current NBUS #53 challenge for August - HERE. The 'Santa's Helper' set of dies are my NBUS - and they might well remain as 'almost NBUS' for the foreseeable future too! 

Grab our badge to display on your blog.




16 comments:

  1. I love your card, Di! What a fab way to use the die and to cut the gifts in coloured card. So happy to have you on board as our elfin muse again this month, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being invited as guest designer, well done. This is a gorgeous card - I do love that Sizzix elf and the description of your trials and tribulations with the parcels was a hoot. So pleased you found the missing one in the end 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being a Guest Designer over at the Christmas Kickstart Challenge Di, and I think the card is fun with the sweet elf and presents, and a great embossed background, but I know what you mean about small dies which are fiddly and test one's patience. I'm glad you found the little missing die in the end. I had a sweet little bee stamp which I had out and was using and then it completely disappeared. I turned out the waste bin and had a look on my rather overcrowded workspace, and got down on hands and knees to inspect the surrounding floor area, but have not yet found it grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I just love this! Thanks for sharing it. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh that is a BRILLIANT Elf card for the Christmas Kickstart challenge. I LOVE IT. Beautiful embossing and die cutting (even if you did nearly lose the will to live while piecing the presents together!). Congrats on being a returning Guest Designer too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats for your new GD at Christmas Kickstart Challenge!! So well deserved for sure! Your card is AMAZING!!! Love this Sizzix elf silhouette and you made a great work of love with the pile of presents! The elegant background looks perfect behind the scene!
    Hugs and thanks Dudley for his cuddles to me! :D I reciprocate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card Di, I hope Elf doesn’t drop them after all that work! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WTG on your GD spot at the Kickstart Challenge and what a fabulous little card you've made! I just love that fancy little stack of presents with the silhouette elf on that great embossed background! It's a wonderful card sure to bring lots of smiles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this elf Di and he looks amazing against that embossed background xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, what a beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling elf with presents, Di - congrats on being Jo's elf & thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful make Di - loving that elf silhouette, and the parcels came up really nicely, even if it was a mission to get them all made and assembled!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the GDT post. Love the card but the die really does look very fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh Di l love your card and that adorable elf silhouette used is so cute lovely touch with the presents enhanced giving them dimension great background too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on being Jo's talented Elf this month, Di! I'm sure she's thrilled to have you! That is a super cool elf die and I love how you put him in silhouette and fancified the Christmas wrappings so elegantly! It was worth the effort! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable little elf silhouette!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.