Sunday 26 March 2023

Rudolph Days Challenge - and Snippets Playground Results!

First of all - did you remember to change your clocks. Spring 'forward' by one hour in a lot of countries! 

I found a second piece of card buried on my desk - abandoned after playing without much success with my long-neglected Brushos the other month. After the rather 'flat' looking turquoise blue Brushos result, I dry embossed then sprayed it with Glimmer Mist and added touches of Cadence Silver Gilding Wax here and there ....... before sighing and abandoning it as a lost cause. 

Found it the other day and thought it deserved a second chance. So, here's my Rudolph Days Challenge entry for March over at Scrappy Mo's, and it's also my Sunday Snippets card:



I used all of the snippets, apart from the long blue piece - which looks more purple thanks to the camera

I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, side opening

- the turquoise blue Brushos panel, for which I'd used Strathmore Mixed Media card, a Darice 'Snowflake Swirls' embossing folder, Glimmer Mist and some silver gilding wax was trimmed to 5.25" x 4"

- then layered the panel onto a slightly larger snippet of Tonic pearlescent 'Navy Dazzle' card 

- ran a silver Calligraphy pen around the edges of the navy card and adhered the whole panel to the card front using strips of very narrow foam tape

- used a snippet of vellum to die cut the back surround for the Memory Box 'Merry Christmas Posh Script' sentiment and set it to one side

- then die cut the top layer of the sentiment using the more detailed die from the same Memory Box set - twice from a snippet of pearlescent white card then glued them together using a glue pen, before attaching the vellum 'profile' layer to the back

- finally, used micro dots to attach the sentiment

I did dither a bit about possibly adding a few self-adhesive little clear sparkly gems but thought it might be too glitzy - plus, there was a very strong chance that the self adhesion on the gems wouldn't like the gilding wax and they would promptly drop off as I found when attaching the finished sentiment to the card front in the final step of making the card!Glue pen didn't work but, for now, micro dots seem to be doing the trick with the sentiment! The more I use them, the more I like them.

I would like to also enter this card into Darnell's latest NBUS Challenge #48 HERE as the silver gilding wax and the Christmas sentiment die were having a first outing.

Must admit, I'm a bit hooked on vellum backed die cut sentiments right now. I lifted the initial scroll of the white letter 'M in Merry' after taking the photo by the way - before storing it away in my growing box of Christmas 2023 cards as I noticed it had made a bid for freedom. ☺

The results of Snippets Playground Challenge #449 can be found HERE - and there is still one week to run on Challenge #450 HERE.

Dudley Pupdate: It's been a busy week and my snippets card was a bit of a rush. Dudley has spent a lot of time dodging the rain and then sleeping under my desk. It seems to be a cosy kennel for him now! He mislaid Honka Duck one morning during the week and the absolute panic on his face was heartbreaking. I spotted Honka out of Dudley's line of view - on our bed - and as soon as I pointed he leapt up to embrace Honka as if he'd just come back from an around World Cruise! 

Speaking of embracing, on Friday morning we missed the chance of an adorable photo of Dudley - fast asleep, lying on his side literally with both front legs wrapped around Honks in such a loving cuddle. But if we'd made a move to grab a phone or camera he would have woken up and the moment would have been lost - so we just made the most of watching him for a while. 



21 comments:

  1. Good thing you didn't throw it away, as this is beautiful, Di! I really like how you let the embossed panel be the star & just added the lovely sentiment. Think I'm going to case that idea! It's amazing how much Dudley loves Honka--fun to hear the latest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that’s a stunning “save”! Fabulous card and cute story too 😍xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You resurrected that piece of card into such a pretty piece Di, really pretty with the sheen on it. No I didn't forget, hubby did and asked why I was getting up at 5am!

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing, Di - who would have thought you abandoned it - the lustre is stunning.
    Well done an a fabulous result.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of that neglected piece of Brushos background, Di! Love the shining here and there and that vellum behind the sentiment seems perfect to me! Thanks for the tip about micro glue dots, it's always difficult finding the right glue for vellum on embossing!
    Dudley's love for Honka is really SO BIG!! How sweet! ❤❤
    Hugs, have a lovely Sunday and don't forget to pamper Dudley a little for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for rescuing the Brusho piece and with the other snippets this is a beautiful card. Interesting to see the vellum used as a sentiment backing, that's a new one on me.. Another lovely Dudley tale as well, bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely make, well done on completing another Christmas card towards 2023.

    Dudley sounds adorable, as always!

    Happy Sunday, yes, we changed most of our clocks in time and did the rest this morning

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great save Di. You’ve made a super Christmas card with something neglected & buried. Loving the idea of background vellum for the sentiment.

    Can’t believe Dudley mislaid Honka & you had to point him in the right direction!!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous card Di, I had forgotten what a gorgeous lustre gilding wax leaves. I do wish the weather would "spring forward" too. Martin has lit the fire this morning, it's so cold and grey in our part of Dorset. We are fed up with wet sprollies too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you did to re-work this background piece and it was turned into a lovely card. I'm just loving that pretty blue lustre and embossing. I'm tired of the rain here too, it's the gloom that affects my disposition it seems. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Di,
    Happy Rudolf Days.
    This card look stunning and the colour you have achieved with those Brusho's looks fabulous.
    Love the embossing folder used and the die cut Christmas sentiment sets it all off perfectly.
    Such a wonderful glitz achieved with the wax also.
    Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. This piece was certainly worth resurrecting Di and the added glimmer mist and silver wax has added some pretty shimmer, and I love the vellum backed sentiment. I also love your tale about Dudley and Honka Duck...he certainly adores it. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous card Di and I love the shine on your backing card. The MB die is lovely too - another one for my 'Wish List'!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh De, this is a beautiful card. I am so glad that you did not throw away that background you were originally unhappy with, I think it is gorgeous!

    I love the vellum as the edging around your sentiment. I will have to give that a try!
    Thanks for taking part in the Rudolph Days Challenge.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card Di the background is stunning lovely snippets used too x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful creation (blue is my favorite color) and I love the glimmer mist shine on it. Fab use of those snippets too.

    Hugs,
    Eemeli

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! I too love the vellum on the greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a stunning card from your discarded bits! Lots of pretty shine, and it is no longer flat

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fab save to make this beautiful and elegant card. I've been backing sentiments with vellum since you suggested it a while ago and it does give a lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do love these 3D embossing folders with the Christmas designs, they make such quick and stylish cards. Thank you for joining in the fun at Rudolph Days this month.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a gorgeous card Di with lots of gleam - great that you saved the panel you were originally dissatisfied with as it's turned out brilliantly
    Pauline xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.