Sunday 14 August 2022

Final up cycled robins - for now!

I've come to the end of my pile of robin die cuts, made from the fronts of shop bought cards, sent to us in 2021:

I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, tent style

- a sheet of paper from First Edition's 'Gilded Wonder' paper pad, trimmed to just a little less then the card front and glued in place

- hunted high and low for some sort of card, any card, to die cut a sentiment to go with the robin or even the beautifully flittered gold panel on the sheet of paper - zilch!

- in the end I die cut three layers from the same snippet of white card that I cut the card blank from, using my current favourite Tonic Studios 'Mini Moments Merry Christmas' die 

- glued the sentiment layers together then added them to the card front - using a glue pen. Top left to make the most of the flittered gold design on the paper

- then added the die cut robin using sticky pads (the robin was die cut a while ago using a die from The Works 'Stitched Circles' set

- hmm, not quite right as there was a blank taupe space top right looking very lonely and out of balance, so I walked away and left it - whilst we bathed Dudley on Monday afternoon in fact

- whilst fighting the 'Dudley tidal wave', I remembered some NBUS self adhesive Memory Box Open Studio 'Christmas Fairy Crystals' sitting in the front of a basket waiting for their first outing. And sure enough, one of the orangey red shades works perfectly with the robin's red breast - so I stuck three onto the top right hand corner

Finished! A super fast card to make - but hunting for the backing paper etc. probably took several times as long as actually making the card.

Fighting Dudley was a slight exaggeration really - I brushed, combed and snipped some bits before his shower/bath. Bless his heart, when I sit at the table in Len's room to groom Dudley, he (Dudley!) snuggles his muzzle with a resigned sigh into my cleavage for comfort! As if to say, 'you win'. And he didn't fight too hard this time during his shower. He was then wrapped up like a wet white burrito on my lap - where we patted him as dry as possible before the manic 'zoomies' began!  

The little Fairy Crystals were having their first outing so I'd like to enter this into Darnell's NBUS#41 Challenge.

Also, entering the current Christmas Kickstart Challenge#65 - 'Never in a Nativity'. My second robin card for this fun challenge! 

And, for the time being, we have a lovely white and very fluffy Havanese called Dudley here! He's working hard on trying to remain chilled, hunting out cool spots on tiled floors around the house etc. Yesterday, Len went round to a neighbours' with some wrongly delivered mail. Whilst there, he played with their - much friendlier than Teddy the Terror - little girlie Shih Tzu. She's adorable, they both are, but Tinkerbelle (named by their little girl, what else) is the more friendly. When Len came home. Dudley went ballistic - 'Sniff, sniff - how DARE you play with another pooch'! I was waving his calcium bone treat at the time - but did he care, as he would usually launch into the real need for his midday treat - NOPE?! Just shows that the smell of a lady dog will beat a treat hands down!

It's so very hot here though and in the UK we aren't geared up for it with air con. and such so we're all struggling.

Anyhow, the results of our previous 'Christmas in July' Snippets Challenge, run by Sarn, can be found HERE.  

Numbers are low on my/our current Snippets Challenge - I can't blame you with the heat that so many of us are trying to cope with! It's a nice prize, so do come and play!

Love from Di and Dudley - no more 'Phantom Piddler' puddles from him, thankfully!



11 comments:

  1. That little robin makes a beautiful new card, and I love that you recycle your old cards. I save mine but can't bear to cut into them - I'm hopeless! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. See - who doesn’t love a Robin on a Christmas card? This one is lovely and another great piece of upcycling.

    Glad Dudley behaved himself this week.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done another grand job here upcycling the super robin image. Here's hoping the weather cools down soon - very soon please 😎😎

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful recycled card and the Robin is so cute lovely background too Di, must be so hard for Dudley to keep cool in this heat a welcome bath and grooming by you must of been a lovely for him and bless him snuggling up to you enjoy your day xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes a lovely card Di. Who doen't love a Robin on a Christmas card. You've inspired me to look through my old cards from previous years to upcycle and I've found quite a few I could use x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great robin card and the pretty gold running through the background paper and your added red/orange crystals and triple layered white sentiment finish it beautifully Di. Glad Dudley was good with his bathing and clipping and he must feel better when it's finished..it makes me smile to imagine him zooming about when it is all done. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a sweet robin and I love how you showcased her, Di! Those bits of bright bling balance the design perfectly! Thank you for sharing at NBUS! As always, you've done such a great job of describing The Adventures of Dudley! Even if I didn't have a female version, I could envision the scenes because of your great descriptive writing. My favorite bit this time was the picture I conjured of him nestled in your cleavage.🤣🤣🤣 I'll have to try that with Ms. Nellie!

    On a more serious note, I was feeling sorry for myself at 104F until I remembered how many people in the world have been hit again and again this summer with high temperatures and no a/c. Brutal! Now I've just seen that parts of the UK are being hit with terrible flooding as well. I hope you stay safe and things improve soon! Mwah! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely robin and it looks wonderful on your pretty card. I love the gorgeous paper you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for playing at Christmas Kickstart, Di. I love the way you've used that beautiful robin image. I usually make tags from last years cards, but perhaps I need to think again and do cards. I love the story of Dudley. When I had my cat, Custard, he could smell otheranimals on me and would give me such a look - 'Have you been cavorting with another cat?' So funny! Big hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful card, Di. The backing paper makes a great background for your beautiful robin. I’m glad I’m not the only one who sometimes spends more time finding everything I need to make a card than actually making it. I’m visiting your blog today with my NBUS Guest Designer hat on. Thank you for sharing your card over in the NBUS Challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad no more piddles! As soon as Fritz's bath is done he does a few zoomies & then runs to the end of the deck to lay in the sun. He doesn't understand why there are days without sun--haha! What a beautiful card & the red crystals are the perfect embellishment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.