Tuesday 20 June 2017

Birthday card for Uncle Frank

This is my quick card for today, very clean and simple:
I used:

- 5" x 5" square white card blank

- a snippet of white card onto which I stamped the old fashioned gramophone and sentiment using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and stamps from a 'pre-loved' SU 'Timeless Talk' set - gosh the Misti was so useful for the solid black stamping!

- then added a layer of black card to the card front, using Colall All Purpose glue, leaving a narrow white border all around

- next die cut an aperture for the image using the largest die from the MFT 'Peek-a-boo Wonky Windows' set of dies and a piece of red card from the snippets folder, which I'd trimmed down to just slightly smaller than the black layer of card

- then ran the die cut piece of red card through the Cuttlebug again, using a Couture Creations embossing folder called 'Scattered Notes'

- laid the red card on top of the image panel and gently drew a pencil line around the inside of the aperture 

- then hand cut around the image - a good quarter of an inch outside the pencil line so I could add red line tape to the edge of the image and stick it behind the aperture (having first rubbed out the pencil lines)

- then just glued the red panel to the card front and decided to leave it as it was

My card was made for my 'Uncle Frank's' recent Birthday, who along with his late wife Alice was my guardian when my parents left me at boarding school in Germany. This was so that, in case of emergency (medical or otherwise), they could step in and sign documents on behalf of my parents, who were back in the UK. No emails back then - in fact a telephone was a rarity!

It also meant that I could go and stay with them at half term and that's why I chose the stamps I used for the card - to remind Frank of something he did to amuse me all those years ago. Alice and Frank didn't have any children of their own so my 'long weekends' must have been a bit of a nightmare in some ways. Their music tastes for instance were sensible and I was your typical teenager of course! But, to entertain me, I clearly recall Frank playing some of his precious records at 45rpm instead of the old 33rpm - just so we could listen to what sounded like 'The Chipmunks' - or someone singing who'd been on laughing gas! Happy days! And we still laugh about it too :)






23 comments:

  1. Brilliant card for your Uncle Frank, Di. Sounds like it's the perfect image for him. TFS your memories of times you spent with him, brought back memories of how we used to speed up records. 😀 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Di, a wonderful card for your much loved Uncle Frank, music themed cards seem to look especially nice in red, black and white. I'm sure he will get a smile on his dial remembering the times spent with you, love that he and you played music to sound like chipmunks, something I'm sure this generation is missing out on. Have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely memories, I love the card and the great embossing folder that you used too.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. how great that this card was made to bring back memories - I'm sure he will really love it for that reason alone. Had to smile at the 'chipmunk' music - simple pleasures eh??

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous card and I'm sure your Uncle Frank will love it too.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous and poignant card. Perfick.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, Di. Love the inspiration too.
    Hugs,
    Em xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Di,
    oh this is funny as I won a challenge lately and some digi images I could choose, and one of them I chose was a Gramophone as I liked it so much.
    Love your wonderful card made with your super stamped image of the Gramophone.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful masculine card Di and I adore the background embossing, just perfect with that image. I'm sure your Uncle Frank will love this. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfect CAS card with lots of priceless memories attached x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable CAS and lovely memories!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb card for 'Uncle Frank' bet he liked being reminded of the memory's too. Great embossing folder and image.
    Hope you haven't melted.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card for Uncle Frank. Yep simple pleasures certainly kept us entertained as kids. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fab card for wonderful memories. You need to translate some of that for younger readers I think!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this old gramophone. In life they are just as cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the old gramophone, what a great card

    ReplyDelete
  17. A really super card Di. What lovely stamps. I enjoyed hearing about your visits with Uncle Frank and Aunt Alice. I bet they loved having you to stay. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Smashing, I'm sure Uncle Frank loved it

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fab musical card Di, bet Uncle Frank LOVED this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.